collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 week wolf trapping season set for Idaho  (Read 4990 times)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
10 week wolf trapping season set for Idaho
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:52:59 AM »
http://www.kpvi.com/story.php?id=46486&n=15206

Idaho Fish and Game released their much anticipated wolf management plan today which includes new rules for this year's wolf hunt.  One of the biggest things is that there will not be a quota for most of the state. Also new this year will be a 10-week trapping season during the winter months. Phil Campbell has been following this story for us and tells us why the Fish and Game felt it was necessary for these changes.

It turns out that hunting wolves is more difficult than we thought as less than one percent of hunters were successful in the last wolf hunt.  In 2009, 4,000 wolf tags were sold on the first day. Eventually 30,000 tags were sold at $11.50 a piece but the hunters were only able to kill 188 wolves during the hunt. That's why Fish and Game has decided not set quotas for most of the hunting areas in the Gem State in hopes of bringing the number of wolves down from where it currently sits at over 1,000.

"Seeing wolf tracks, wolf scat, hearing wolves howl, even seeing glimpses of wolves is not the same thing as seeing a wolf and having an opportunity to take of it during hunting season," said Jon Rachael of Idaho Fish and Game.

Even with the use of aerial shooting, wildlife managers in the western states have had a difficult time reducing the wolf population. Wolves in the Lolo district of northern Idaho have decimated a once strong elk population despite. This, like other areas of the state is particularly difficult for hunters to access and so the wolf population is able to grow with relative ease.

The state says their goal is to keep the wolf population above 150 animals and 15 breeding pairs. If the numbers fall below that mark, they could end up relinquishing control back to the federal government.

The season starts August 30 and will run through March 31. The trapping season begins in December and will last 10 weeks.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: 10 week wolf trapping season set for Idaho
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 04:06:33 PM »
So lets start discussing wolf sets.  I would imagine flat sets would be good, maybe some scent post sets.  We'll be dealing with deep snow so I'm thinking snares would probably be the best bet overall.  We'll have to get the guys in BC and AK to help educate us.  One good thing I have read is you can usually gang set them pretty good and get a bunch of the pack at once.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:33:22 PM »
You know I hear from houndmen that the sound of hounds barking brings the wolves right in and they have to be ready to get their dogs in a hurry. I was thinking what a wondeful place to have about a hundred snares set.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »
I don't know anything about trapping but would love to tag along and offer any help I could if someone is looking for some company.

I will have a alot of free time this winter....
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:08:27 AM »
 I stopped at a gas station in Kingston, ID a couple weeks back while on my way to my cabin in MT and ran into a hound hunter there. Wolves were the first thing we talked about and he said he had lost one dog this spring to wolves. I asked him if he'd be worried about his dogs if a trapping season were to be set and he said he'd be glad to either keep his dogs out of the woods or move to another area where traps were less likely to be. If he had to he said he even wouldn't hunt with his dogs at all to let the trappers at them.
 Trapping will be the most effective method of take but is still not enough. They need to be listed as a predator, like coyotes, with a year round season with no limit. And all that would do is stabilize the population.
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 05:39:49 AM »
If snares are legal thats the way I would go..bait ahead of time,and set their trails into the bait.

http://youtu.be/30sDLJcr4mk

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:03:29 AM »
I stopped at a gas station in Kingston, ID a couple weeks back while on my way to my cabin in MT and ran into a hound hunter there. Wolves were the first thing we talked about and he said he had lost one dog this spring to wolves. I asked him if he'd be worried about his dogs if a trapping season were to be set and he said he'd be glad to either keep his dogs out of the woods or move to another area where traps were less likely to be. If he had to he said he even wouldn't hunt with his dogs at all to let the trappers at them.
 Trapping will be the most effective method of take but is still not enough. They need to be listed as a predator, like coyotes, with a year round season with no limit. And all that would do is stabilize the population.

:yeah:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 06:44:56 AM »

I think you will eventually see a year around season. They have to take a measured approach since they are just taking over management of wolves. As it stands, there is a good chance Malloy will close it down again. If they implement too liberal of season it just gives Malloy extra reason. I am surprised they are going with no quota and trapping at all.

But since they are, I hope I have time to do some myself.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 07:28:54 AM »
 :IBCOOL:sounds like good news.

Offline Sno-King

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »
Back to court from drovers cattle network.

While hunters in Montana and Idaho prepare for upcoming wolf seasons intended to thin populations of the predators, a federal court in Missoula, Mont. is hearing arguments that could block the hunt.

Wolves have been a legal hot potato since their reintroduction to the West, with environmentalists and wildlife groups supporting protection and larger populations while ranchers and sportsmen favor control measures to reduce predation on livestock and game animals.

The federal government removed endangered-species status for gray wolves in those states in April, when Congress included the delisting in a budget bill. But conservation groups now are challenging the ruling, claiming the government overstepped its authority, according to an article from Reuters.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]