collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Propane Wall Tent Stoves?  (Read 17507 times)

Offline WilliamWallace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Propane Wall Tent Stoves?
« on: August 20, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »
What is everyone's opinion on using propane stoves in a wall tent? We have a 16'X18' tent, the wood burning stove doesn't regulate the heat very well. Sometimes its hotter than hell and then a few hours later its colder than crap! So we were tossing ideas around and this was an unanswered idea.

-Does anyone use one during elk season?

-Any recommendations on our issue?

Offline Trailstrider

• Westside Outdoorsman
  • Tracker
  • My sons first bull @ 13! 2008 season!
Re: Propane Wall Tent Stoves?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 07:00:41 PM »
 :yeah: Great post! We have the same problem with our 15X20 and anything that works better than wood would be great! So all whats out there to use that keeps us all one temp through the night?
Elk 23 for 30 but whos counting!
My son out did me his first year out at 13! 5x5 missed the book by 1 1/8" and Yeh I am proud of him!
I'm ready for tall timber and deep canyons, are you?

Offline Bulldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 07:14:50 PM »
Instead of a light wall tent stove, if you have room, go with a regular house woodstove. They will hold heat longer and are better regulated. Weight is the only problem with them.
Member of Team Leadslingers 2010

Whack'em and Stack'em

Offline runningboard

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »
I think the big buddy heater works great but it usually runs out before morning if you don't use the hose and BBQ size bottle. sometimes have a hard time decidng which setting to use since it has 3, top setting too hot mid setting just not quite warm enough.
Romans 14:2 he who eats only vegetables is weak
Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me

Offline wayner

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »
I have a three burner heater that sits on top of a propane tank. I have 2- 30 gal propane tanks that will easily last a week. It will heat you out of a wall tent. But you better be able to drive to your camp.

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 08:32:38 AM »
The problem with propane is you end up with a lot of condensation on the inside of the tent.  I use a heater similar to this during archery season, if its needed, and to take the chill off if we are hunting when fires are legal.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332739_200332739

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 08:34:49 AM »
Buy a better sleeping bag.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Online ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 09:35:17 AM »
I use a Big Buddy heater. And a wood stove. I have had no problem with moisture as long as we keep a window cracked.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mtndew

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 09:12:41 PM »
Spend more time playing with your wood stove, you should be able to bank it full of wood, damper it down, and have it last most of the night. With consistent heat output. Propane creates H2O when it burns. Hard to dry wet hunting clothes with a damp heat source. I'll take wood over propane any day of the week. :twocents:
One shot, one Deer. Two shots, maybe one Deer. Three shots, no Deer

Offline TheHunt

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »
I agree I would take a dry heat source like a wood stove then a wet heat source. 
275 down 2

Offline Roost Run

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:12:56 AM »
We have a 16x20, and the wood stove works just fine.  You have to make sure you are burning good wood.  Tamarack is what you are looking for.  We can stock the stove and it will burn most of the night.  You might have to stoke it once.  I usually end up sleeping on top of my bag because it is so warm

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 10:39:39 AM »
I have a 15x24 that I use a Cylinder stove in and had the same problem.  Two years ago at the sportsmans show I bought a wood pellet feeder attachment that they make for it.  When we used it this year I used the wood to get the tent warm before bed, all the corners and equipment and then used the wood pellets through the night, it kept the chill off and burned all night long.  In the morning we stoked up the wood to get it toasty in the tent again but the pellets kept the chill off and kept me from having to restoke the fire in the middle of the night.  A 3/4 of a bag of pellets lasted all night and they are cheap and clean.  I would recommend them as a good option.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »
I have a 15x24 that I use a Cylinder stove in and had the same problem.  Two years ago at the sportsmans show I bought a wood pellet feeder attachment that they make for it.  When we used it this year I used the wood to get the tent warm before bed, all the corners and equipment and then used the wood pellets through the night, it kept the chill off and burned all night long.  In the morning we stoked up the wood to get it toasty in the tent again but the pellets kept the chill off and kept me from having to restoke the fire in the middle of the night.  A 3/4 of a bag of pellets lasted all night and they are cheap and clean.  I would recommend them as a good option.

The people I know that use propane heaters have a condensation problem. 

I would suggest the pellet feeder if you are looking to maintain the heat through the night vs switching over to propane.

Offline dad98684

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 11:03:28 AM »
I go with a combination of my cook stove and a pellet stove.

Offline losdaddy7

• Longhunter
  • Groups: losdaddy7
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 05:44:31 PM »
I have a two room 12X24 wall tent with 5 foot walls.  I originally used a Little Bear wood stove and it heated up the tent to sauna temperatures.... It was great, but a little too much work packing the stove each year and supplying the fuel daily.  I switched to a big buddy heater with a 5 gallon propane tank a few years ago and would NEVER go back to a wood stove.  I don't even use the battery powered fan on my big buddy and it still heats up my tent nicely.  On cooler nights (10-20 degrees) I'll cut it down to low and run it all night.  A 5 gallon bottle usually lasts 4-5 days. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal