collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Changes to small game season.  (Read 10203 times)

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
Changes to small game season.
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »
Changes to the next three year season are currently being discussed.  There are no changes for small game on the survey.  The statewide Wildlife Manager, Dave Ware, said that the WDFW is limited to making changes that are not for conservation reasons or that have been requested by hunters.  We have until September 20th to make our requests.  They most likely wont include changes that only have a couple people asking for them but if we come together as a group and request some changes with compelling reasons we will have a much better chance of getting them included.

I was elected Predator/Small Game Committee Chairman for Washington for Wildlife and I want to know if there was any changes in season length or bag limits that you guys would like to see.  I know WPHA has some ideas on changes and WFW would like to add our support where we can and is looking at some other changes also.  I would like to get ideas on what changes you guys would like to see and the reasons for them. 

The small game season and limits for the most part are good but with one-size-fits-all across the entire state there might be problem areas. 

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
Re: Changes to small game season.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
Changes I would like to see are:

Longer crow season.  I see no reason that crow season cannot be more inline with other small game and other states seasons.  There are no shortage of crows and the season seems very short to me.  It also falls right into the busiest time in the woods-modern firearms season.  Crow hunting is also a great way to get kids into hunting and provides necessary management of a predatory bird species.

Pellet rifles.  With the advancement in pellet rifles I would like to see WDFW make pellets rifles that meet certain performance specs be legalized for some small game.  This is also great for getting kids into hunting and could open up opportunity in areas that would normally not be friendly to firearms.

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
  • Team I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS $H!T !
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:14:59 AM »
I tend to agree with other posts I've seen to extend the close of Bobcat, as well as Fox, Raccoon, and Rabbit seasons to the end of March instead of March 15.  If for no other reason than to make it less confusing.  Besides, another 2 weeks couldn't hurt populations that much.  My  :twocents: .  Thanks for the post.  One of the reasons I quit buying fishing licenses 10 years ago is that I couldn't afford to hire a lawyer to read the regulations for me.
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

When Bernie Madoff did it, it's called a "Ponzi Scheme"
When Government does it, it's called "Social Security"

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »
I'd really like to see pheasant season open on the same day as modern firearm deer like it use to.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:49:01 AM »
I would like them to change the wording on the no coyote hunting with dogs to allow incidental taking of a coyote while upland or waterfowl hunting while having a bird dog or retriever present.

AWS
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline jordanramos_79

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
I too would like to see a change made to allow for airgun hunting of small game.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away...

Offline Atroxus

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:50:19 PM »
I would love to see squirrel hunting legal for all squirrels. :twocents:

Offline satchel3006

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 01:04:35 PM »
I would like a squirrel season as well. It would be nice if jackrabbit was open.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
I would like the Blue grouse limits to be lowered back to 3 in certain areas......especially when the populations are damn close to all time lows.

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »
I would like the Blue grouse limits to be lowered back to 3 in certain areas......especially when the populations are damn close to all time lows.

I have heard this from others also.  I dont see many forest grouse around here either.  I am leaning on reducing the daily limit also.  I dont really know anyone that is filling the limit as it is so I dont know how much it will help.  My biggest problem with a larger limit is that sometimes grouse are stupid and you can kill multiples out of one covey which doesnt leave as many for seed.  A larger limit might be fine if the birds were spread out.  I would like to hear what the grouse populations are like for others.  This is what I meant about one-size-fits-all game regulations.  Some areas may be able to handle it and other might have too much pressure.

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »

I have heard this from others also.  I dont see many forest grouse around here either.  I am leaning on reducing the daily limit also.  I dont really know anyone that is filling the limit as it is so I dont know how much it will help.  My biggest problem with a larger limit is that sometimes grouse are stupid and you can kill multiples out of one covey which doesnt leave as many for seed.  A larger limit might be fine if the birds were spread out.  I would like to hear what the grouse populations are like for others.  This is what I meant about one-size-fits-all game regulations.  Some areas may be able to handle it and other might have too much pressure.

I've noticed lately that anywhere there are more Turkeys there are few Grouse.  Maybe it's time to thin out the Turkeys.

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 04:39:16 PM »
I heard a turkey for the first time as I was walking out of the woods last night.  Still have never seen one though.  Not a huge population down here. 

Plenty of cover and food for grouse but just to many predators I think.  Funky weather, natural cycles, and hunting pressure sure makes it hard to tell what the right answer is.

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 04:59:19 PM »
Forest grouse harvest reports

2010      92,756
2009    140,856
2008    101,685
2007    119,189
2006    131,435
2005    102,968
2004    107,858
2003    126,978

I believe harvest levels were increased for the 2009 season.  Not a lot of data to go off but that did seem to be a big jump in harvest and last year was much lower.  Not sure that is directly related but Im sure it does not help.  Just looking at this i would say limits definitely need to be lowered back to 3/day. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:52:45 PM by Kain »

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 06:43:46 PM »
Im torn on the squirrel hunting.  Dont get me wrong I would love to bust a few of those tree rats but with them being fairly small (Douglas squirrel) and a major food source for lots of predators Im not sure its best for hunters.  Weasels martins bobcats owls and hawks eat them down here.  You start to thin them out and those predators will eat more rabbits.  Less rabbits for us and larger predators that will then turn to fawns.  I am just thinking out loud here so if I could be completely wrong. 

The greatest thing about hunting them would be that they might shut the hell up when hunters go into the woods instead of letting the entire forest know exactly where you are.  I have been sooooo tempted a couple times.   :chuckle:

Offline Heredoggydoggy

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »
Yes, but I have had them alert me to other animals and hunters attempting to sneak through the area too, so it's a double-edged sword.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 11:53:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]