collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: range.  (Read 11377 times)

Offline WildBear

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: range.
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »
Where I'm hunting Bear you more than likely to see them 100yds or less... few spots you could see down the road further... Buddy last year shot his bear 13yds a way with his .243. Bear dropped dead 30yds away, Lung shot.  Guess I'll be looking at just behind the shoulders when I get my shot...
Worst day hunting is better than best day working!

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 08:50:50 PM »

right now i can hit a pop bottle at 500yds 3 out of 5 shots.  but that doesnt mean i will shoot an animal that far.

Offline Broken Arrow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 07:42:47 AM »
3 out of 5 at 500 yards on a pop bottle? Man that's some incredible shooting. I personally know 2 snipers who said they would struggle with those odds with a hunting rifle.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 08:01:02 AM »
Not very competent snipers if they can't hit a pop bottle at 500 yds, imo.  What I cant stand is these folks who think that if they can hit somewhere on a paper plate at 150-200 yds that it is "good enough".  Or only shoot their rifle the weekend or day before season.  Those are the same dudes that I hear about missing a "huge buck" at 200-300 yds.  I have shot rabbits and coyotes at 600+ yards but would not go farther than 350-400 on deer or elk.  There are too many variables to take a risk on laming an animal.  I hunt archery only now so it is a moot point as far as I go.

Offline Broken Arrow

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2008, 08:27:30 AM »
A pop bottle is 2.5 inches wide. I guess IMO, i will take there advise since one of these individuals is actually a course instructor. Sniper rifle one thing, your deer, bear and elk rifle another. My point was this is some great shooting, that most guys, including folks I know in the military, would have a hard time re-produsing with you standard 06 and factory loads.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »
3 out of 5 at 500 yards on a pop bottle? Man that's some incredible shooting. I personally know 2 snipers who said they would struggle with those odds with a hunting rifle.

i highly dout they are direct hits, maybe 1 out of those. im not that great of shot but yesterday i consitantly hit that bottle at 500yds. and i was simply amazed.

that was not with my rifle, that was with a 308 sighted in at 300yds, and a bullet drop reticle scope out to 100yds.

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2008, 09:59:35 AM »
AHH HA! The cat's out of the bag! :chuckle:
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or destroy it, piss on it and walk away!

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 11:47:49 AM »
The point is Banwalker was happy with his shooting and we should be happy for him without being so critical about the facts. I'm signing off now and going out with my super model wife.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2008, 03:33:38 PM »
AHH HA! The cat's out of the bag! :chuckle:

hehe i never said it was with a hunting rifle.

fact is i just got back from shooting today WITH my hunting rifle. i hit that pop bottle at 400yds 1 time out of 10 shots. and i think it was just dirt that actually hit the bottle. my rifle was only bore sighted at 100yds though, and i never did get it truely sighted in at 100yds.

my damn scope mount came loose AGAIN!!! damn leupold anyway. so now i gotta take it back down to Oe and get it bore sighted and ONCE AGAIN go try and get thie POS sighted in.

blah.

maybe i should just take my buddies savage tactical 308 this year for hunting  :chuckle:

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2008, 11:41:29 PM »
 BankWalker, move that bottle out to 850 yards, and we might have some fun...

depending on the wind....I might get 'er inside three shots. But you never know with the wind......
self-imposed limits are just that, but a man has got to know his limitations.....and the prices of precious metals (lead & Copper), sure make it hard to practice much.

now where did I hear that??      ;)

BW, since you live in this area, maybe there are some boys you might just want to meet? suppose they would have to be asked too, and with a name like that.....its kinda like saying IRSwalker 'ya know....hehehe, all kidin aside, maybe a few might show for a shoot in spokane at the end of the month, never know for sure.
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »
nice, i would love to get something like that.

i found out yesterday though. that i not as great of a shot that i was the other day.

my buddie braught out all his long range rifle and we had targets setup all the way to 1000yds down some powerlines.

i was good out to 400yds, then fell off very quickly and never hit a single thing last 600yds. one of the guys shot a crow at about 1300yds with a 300 remington ultra mag. AMAZING.

BankWalker, move that bottle out to 850 yards, and we might have some fun...

depending on the wind....I might get 'er inside three shots. But you never know with the wind......
self-imposed limits are just that, but a man has got to know his limitations.....and the prices of precious metals (lead & Copper), sure make it hard to practice much.

now where did I hear that??      ;)

BW, since you live in this area, maybe there are some boys you might just want to meet? suppose they would have to be asked too, and with a name like that.....its kinda like saying IRSwalker 'ya know....hehehe, all kidin aside, maybe a few might show for a shoot in spokane at the end of the month, never know for sure.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2008, 10:32:12 AM »
on a side note though. ive wasted enough ammo the last 3 trips trying to get this damn rifle sighted in. and every time my mounts have loose. i tighten them up really good get the gun bore sighted and after 10 shots the rear sight with the windage adjustment come loose AGAIN.

time to put the crap weaver mounts on again i guess.

Offline littletoes

• Longhunter
  • old fart
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2008, 07:12:37 PM »
hmmmmm...never had that problem myself, but don't pay anybody to bore sight your bolt action rifles any more, just use your kitchen table, and a good set of bags.

Look through the bore at some kind of spot, maybe something in the neighbors tree, just make sure you can recognize it from the bore to scope, and keep it centered (good bags help here). From there, center your cross hairs on the object without moving the gun. When looking through the bore, stay back a bit from the gun, don't get right up next to the action. Next step go to the range, 100 yards is what I use, and while using some good bags, fire 1 round. Hopefully you held center of your target! You should be within 6" of the bull, I've been quite a bit closer on several rifles. Now take your crosshairs and run them to cover the bullet hole, making sure the rifle never moves from the original position.

Your second shot should be in the bulls eye, if your mounts aren't loose that is. If they keep comming loose, and like you said, they are good Luppy's, and have never been over torqued by somebody, or are being under torqued, I would take them back. Something has got to be wrong, and Leupold will stand behind its product, otherwise, I don't have a clue what might be going on.
I should maybe add, I have never used lock tite on any of my scopes, rings, bases, etc. Jut to add, before you ask. 
"The People of the United States are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »
hmmmmm...never had that problem myself, but don't pay anybody to bore sight your bolt action rifles any more, just use your kitchen table, and a good set of bags.

Look through the bore at some kind of spot, maybe something in the neighbors tree, just make sure you can recognize it from the bore to scope, and keep it centered (good bags help here). From there, center your cross hairs on the object without moving the gun. When looking through the bore, stay back a bit from the gun, don't get right up next to the action. Next step go to the range, 100 yards is what I use, and while using some good bags, fire 1 round. Hopefully you held center of your target! You should be within 6" of the bull, I've been quite a bit closer on several rifles. Now take your crosshairs and run them to cover the bullet hole, making sure the rifle never moves from the original position.

Your second shot should be in the bulls eye, if your mounts aren't loose that is. If they keep comming loose, and like you said, they are good Luppy's, and have never been over torqued by somebody, or are being under torqued, I would take them back. Something has got to be wrong, and Leupold will stand behind its product, otherwise, I don't have a clue what might be going on.
I should maybe add, I have never used lock tite on any of my scopes, rings, bases, etc. Jut to add, before you ask. 

nah i never pay to have them bore sighted...

i dont have bags...so it makes the sighting in period a bit harder. finding something that the gun will rest steady on is the hardest part. then i also had a scope knock me out once when i was younger so i have this life long fear of getting hit again. and with that i "pull" the trigger instead of "squeazing" the trigger.

it takes me quite a few rounds through a rifle to get use to it, and eliminating that "pull" of the trigger.

the main problem im having though, is i get a good group at 100yds and call it quits. then find out my scope mounts come loose. then after tightening them the gun is off once again. and i have never once had this problem with leupold mounts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]