collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: More Predation Information  (Read 1097 times)

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
More Predation Information
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:04:23 PM »
BLACK BEAR Data and IMPACTS
•   The Department estimates the Washington black bear population at 25,000 to 30,000
•   Schlegel (Idaho in 1976) found that black bears took at least 67% of radio-collared elk calves
•   According to 3 Idaho studies, black bear caused 3%, 21%, and 67% of predation on elk calves
•   That averages to black bear causing 30% of predation on elk calves over 3 study areas

COUGAR Data and IMPACTS
•   The Department estimates the Washington cougar population at about 2000 to 2500
•   According to studies, on the average, each adult cougar makes a kill every 10 days
•   That averages to 36.5 kills per year for each adult cougar in Washington
•   2000 to 2500 cougar will kill 73,000 to 91,250 deer, elk, moose, sheep, caribou, pets, or livestock yearly
•   Hunters are most likely losing much opportunity because of the excessive cougar populations
•   Ranchers are losing money due to livestock losses
•   Rural economies are suffering due to losses of wildlife related tourism, hunting, and attacks on livestock
•   Cougar threaten the safety of rural residents, ranchers, and recreationists every day of the year;
•   Cougar hound hunting legislation failed, cougar numbers will increase in the worst problem areas
•   WFW encourages the Commission to increase the cougar harvest for all these reasons
•   Science dictates that predators can only take so many animals from a herd before the herd declines
•   Many herd counts are below objective & increased predation will cause further decline

•   The department must reduce existing predator numbers in order to support emerging wolf populations or risk driving prey populations into a predator pit from which prey populations cannot recover resulting in predator and prey populations both suffering

Now add the Wolf Data on top of this...WDFW has a massive challenge on it's hands trying to manage this. We really need to be part of the solution instead of the problem
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline grizzlyadams

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: More Predation Information
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:04:42 PM »
 :tup:
Be legal, be safe, be ethical and vote. Let's preserve our sport, our heritage and our rights.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal