collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: duck/goose bands? how long did you hunt till you got one  (Read 14639 times)

Offline dadada

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: duck/goose bands? how long did you hunt till you got one
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 05:04:34 PM »
i have never said the band is more  important than the bird you dont have to mbe jealous that you havent harvested birds that have bands and other poeple around you have
  on that note i never would have imagined to get 2 bands in  one hunt or two on geese just luck of the draw was just as impresed that i shot 4 geese with three shots and they happen to have two bands i shot it with winchester super x 3inch 3 shot that is impressive in its self
  i am very happy they had bands to me its just like shooting an elk or deer with horns its just an added bonus and may never shoot any with bands again
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 05:31:09 PM by dadada »

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 05:10:46 PM »
I do not think the band is more important then the bird, my excitement about getting a banded bird would be getting the info about the bird from turning the band info in

THAT'S IT !!!! This band crap has got people like foiles and "PARKING"
This band crap has taken hunting to a all time low. I remember as stated before... send the band in for the report. Now It is a status as look at me.... I need bands to show I Know something... PFFFFFT!

You are taking one example of Foiles and lumping the rest of us with him and I call "pffffft" on that. I keep my bands on my lanyard but could care less what other people think, especially people who are so quick to judge....  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Skagit_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 05:35:51 PM »
In my 41 yrs it doesn't matter. What matters is quality. If I decide to shoot 0 or the limit. I can shoot a limit in 3 mins. As fast as I can load shells. does that matter... I don't have anything that shows, Look at me.. But property that I can do it on......LOL
I dont care about bands or if you think your better for them.
parade all you want...I dont give a ratz azz. ( you all look like idiots with a banded lanyard)  ask any old school hunter.)
Bird counts in signature are as gay as Elton John's fanny pack.
Along with black hoodies

Offline BurleyDog

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 05:46:18 PM »
Twice now I have taken first hunters whose first bird was a banded hen mallard. Happened on opening day this year. The luck.

Personally I killed 8 banded geese my first year then went 10 years and haven't got one....

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 05:49:26 PM »
In my 41 yrs it doesn't matter. What matters is quality. If I decide to shoot 0 or the limit. I can shoot a limit in 3 mins. As fast as I can load shells. does that matter... I don't have anything that shows, Look at me.. But property that I can do it on......LOL
parade all you want...I dont give a ratz azz. ( you all look like idiots with a banded lanyard)  ask any old school hunter.)

Wow, you sound exactly like the type of person I DON'T want to hunt with. Now you are calling everyone with a band on their lanyard idiots. I am done wasting my time with an "old school hunter" with nothing better to do then look down on people who don't do things like him.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »
It's that 41 years of bitterness coming out for not having shoot one.  :sry: for the deep wounds there SKAGIT.  This might be your year and you can throw it on your key chain.
There are ways to increase your counts legally.  One would be to hunt around banding locations.  Or be a 20 something that spends to much time on eBay.   
:chuckle::chuckle:
I shot my first banded bird at age 10 and been steady at it since.  Early goose was always a good time for shooting multiple banded birds a well.   :tup:
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
Whats up with the waterfowl board today! Easy fella's!
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »
It's that 41 years of bitterness coming out for not having shoot one.  :sry: for the deep wounds there SKAGIT.  This might be your year and you can throw it on your key chain.
There are ways to increase your counts legally.  One would be to hunt around banding locations.  Or be a 20 something that spends to much time on eBay.   
I shot my first banded bird at age 10 and been steady at it since.  Early goose was always a good time for shooting multiple banded birds a well.   :tup:

Well said!  :tup:

Offline Ellensburg

• Official Cynergy Club Member
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 02:09:42 AM »
I don't manage to kill that many ducks because I have *censored* spots. But I got a band during my first or 2nd year. Haven't gotten one since.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 08:07:03 AM »
Very first duck I ever shot, a Green Winged Teal drake, in coastal South Carolina back in 1967 had a band.  I was in the Air Force and stationed at Charleston, S.C. at the time.  Over the years 3 or 4 more is all.

Had the bird mounted and it survived three kids and several dogs over the years, finally biting the bullet.  Still have the band though on my lanyard with the others. 
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline Skagit_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 08:11:52 AM »

Well said!  :tup:
Really I don't have anything to be bitter over. What I don't like is what this whole band craze has done to the sport. No If I get one I will report it to see the bird info. And give it away.... See that's my point. Hunting banding areas not for the hunt. But rather to get bands LOL. You can't tell me that this band crap has lead to a lot of illegal activities to obtain them.
If you think Foiles thing is a isolated incident your kidding yourself.
I have seen it at Welts two years ago. I was done and went there to talk with the Fed. He was watching 2 guys shoot 5 hens.
When they came in he asked to see their birds. One of the hens had a band. They said it was the last bird they shot. So then he said, I have been watching you and seen you shoot 5 hens and if I have to walk out there it isn't going to be good.
They left without birds or guns with a big ticket. Luckly they were let go. and didn't have everything seized.
They should have.
Accidents happen where more than the limit is harvested. It happens, But doing it to obtain a stupid piece of alum. Isn't good. It stands out for the anti's to use against us.   
Bird counts in signature are as gay as Elton John's fanny pack.
Along with black hoodies

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »
I don't think bands turn ethical hunters into "poachers" who shoot just for the bands. I go out, do everything the same regardless of bands and I think 99.9% of hunters do too. You are making a big generalization over a very small percentage of hunters.  :twocents:

Offline HuntHigh

• Hard work make success that much more memorable
  • Tracker
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 09:00:36 AM »
i shot a banded mallard drake as the first duck i ever shot. a buddy and i were jump shooting a creek and the drake and his hen jumped up in front of us at about 30 yards. i dropped the drake on the first shot and my buddy dropped the hen. we called the number on the band and the duck was from some place in canada if i remember correctly
One shot Long shot

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 09:02:54 AM »
ANYWAYS....  YEASTERDAY I SHOT A BAND,.... AND IT HAD A DUCK ATTACHED TO IT!!!  :yike:  :yike:  :yike:  :chuckle:
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:51 AM »
ANYWAYS....  YEASTERDAY I SHOT A BAND,.... AND IT HAD A DUCK ATTACHED TO IT!!!  :yike:  :yike:  :yike:  :chuckle:

:chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]