collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ar15 reloading help needed  (Read 10082 times)

Offline 204chucknorris

• Team Maybe next time
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Ar15 reloading help needed
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »
This is chambered for 223/5.56

Offline FALFire

• Crazy Old Man with a Gun!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 08:29:48 PM »
One of two problems you are experiencing here.

One.....You may need to turn the resizing die in a little more to push the shoulder back. It is important to have the press ram cam over once it touches the shell holder. Adjust the die down to where it hits the shell holder, then give it an extra 1/2 to 1 full turn more. Bolt guns are not quite as affected here due to the operator inducing force on the bolt to lock the weapon into battery. AR's are a different beast, they rely on spring pressure from the buffer spring to fully engage the bolt into battery.

2nd problem could be that you have your bullet seating die screwed in too much. Loosen the bullet seating stem and back it off a couple of turns, then back the seating die out a few turns. Place a resized case under the die and raise the case into full upward position. Screw the seater die body down until it stops against the case (do not use a bullet at this time) Once the die contacts the case, back it off two full turns. Then readjust your seating stem to your desired OAL and tighten it all down so no movement can take place.

What does all too frequently occur is the seating die is set too deep and the case mouth touches the crimping portion of the seater die. When this happens the case shoulder is very slightly pushed back creating a small bulge in the case body. This results in the case getting jammed into the chamber and failure to allow the bolt to seat into battery.

On a side note, you do not need small base dies for an AR15. I have loaded many thousands of rounds for 20 or more AR's in many different calibers and have yet to find a need for them. Most folks that switch to small base dies do so on others recommendation and those folks usually are experiencing the same problems you described, when all they should have done was to properly adjust the die set from the start.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:38:18 PM by FALFire »
Checkin' wind and makin' smoke.
That's how I roll...

Offline 204chucknorris

• Team Maybe next time
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 08:37:37 PM »
Good point Falfire,  I am sure going to turn the sizer in a little more and deck the seater.  Thanks.

Offline FALFire

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 08:39:34 PM »
Let me know how it turns out. Do it one step at a time so you will know exactly what the problem was. I learned this many years ago when I moved into the AR platform.
That's how I roll...

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »
I had this problem with my AR as well, ended up being junk behind the extractor/spring. It may also be that you are slightly bulging the shoulder out when your seating the bullet which Ive done that one too :chuckle:

My gun will run them just fine but when your tried unloading it was like a act of god.

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 07:48:16 AM »
Its only with your reloads? Not factory ammo?

Offline FALFire

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 10:40:17 AM »
This is not a powder or bullet issue. As it was initially stated, he is having unfired cases getting stuck in the chamber, this is a reloading problem that can be fixed by merely adjusting the die set.
That's how I roll...

Offline 204chucknorris

• Team Maybe next time
  • Hunter
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 12:03:25 PM »
I will be rechecking/adjusting my dies tonight as mentioned by Falfire earlier. This issue is only with reloads and only unfired rounds. Thanks to all for input as I hope to have answer tonight. I will update post tonight.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »
I had the same issue with mine so I started using a crimp thing after seating the bullet. That helped mine.

Offline FALFire

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »
I had the same issue with mine so I started using a crimp thing after seating the bullet. That helped mine.

Are you using the Lee Factory Crimp Die? That is a good die but keep in mind it can alter the effectiveness of a match bullet so go easy. I've used them on occasion but they only work properly with cannelure bullets that will accept that type of crimp. What happens when reloading for the AR is some of the seating dies have a taper crimp and when the cases are not all trimmed to the exact same length, the longer case will be crimped too tight creating stress on the case neck and pressing the shoulder back to where it bulges. When this occurs, you end up with a case that is now out of spec and will not fully chamber. If it is close enough to fire once in the chamber but still not in full battery with bolt lock up, you may get quite an explosion as the bolt is forced back and the case comes apart sending shrapnel in several different directions with about 50-60,000 KPS of pressure behind it. That's not a good thing   :yike:
That's how I roll...

Offline 204chucknorris

• Team Maybe next time
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 08:16:47 PM »
Okay here's the update. Brass is all I spec per reloading manual in all aspects. Coal is okay as I rechecked again. Also checked under extractor and found some small items like machining shavings. Recleaned all and reinspected all. Inserted another clip of ammo and found same issue. One item to share is the shells that extract hard also don't seem to slam in as smooth either. I manually cycled 8 rounds and each round that stuck was noted by a slower bolt closing. Not that I did anything different it just doesn't have the same smooth slam shut.????????? Is it possible of the clip causing drag? Or need of stiffer recoil spring set up?

Offline 204chucknorris

• Team Maybe next time
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
Also only 3 out if 8 stuck. All three measured in spec also.

Offline 204chucknorris

• Team Maybe next time
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »
Additional update. Just tried two 30 round clips I forgot about with Hsm ammo with 55gr v-max cycled 108 rounds and again 3 to 4 rounds stuck! It almost seems as the recoil/bolt spring is not strong enough? My brother in laws r-15 slams what appears to be alot harder closed?
 :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:
this really sucks as it shoots awesome! Just went out Sunday after cleaning and shot 10about rounds fast in a half dollar and 5 slow in nickel, but this is getting me bent! Please someone make me feel stupid on this!

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 08:41:01 PM »
stretch out ur buffer spring. If that helps then throw it away and get a new one
the head has been lopped of the eagle.our country has become a nation of losers,them that feed on the teet and can do no more than suckle from them that toil. ~ Rasbo

Offline 204chucknorris

• Team Maybe next time
  • Hunter
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 09:19:15 PM »
Stretched the buffer spring and inserted 30 round clip. Cycled all 10 rounds and only two were hard to remove but I was able to open without rubber mallet. I guess I will be looking for better spring.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]