collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shed Antler Contest?  (Read 15532 times)

Offline Arteman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • General of the Mongolian Bigfoot Militia
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001803366476
Shed Antler Contest?
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:14:12 PM »
I think the coyote madness contest is a great idea and sounds fun, I was sitting here thinking when shed hunting season picks up here in a couple few months that it would be fun to start a similar contest with finding sheds.  I see Bone that you tally finds already as it is.  Idk, food for thought, guys could team up and of coarse have set rules.  Maybe a point system based on actual points on the antlers, whites, and browns, with of coarse a handicap for westside since Blacktail tend to have less points then Whitetail and Muledeer, same with Rosies vs Rockys.  maybe an extra half point for a (as it layed) field photo, Maybe have prizes for biggest shed based on specie, best set, or uniqueness of the antler.  Or maybe no prizes at all, just bragging rights.  Sounded fun to me, regardless I know ill be hitting the hillsides hard again and post pics anyways, just thought id throw it out there.  Anyways until then good luck to all you yote hunters, can't wait to see the pics pour in on that thread.  Also thanks BH45 for letting me tag along in that contest this year.  Sorry if there is a contest that I am unaware of that is set in stone already as I am still fairly new to HW.
When you see the third, thin the herd.
Right now I'm somewhere picking up sheds.

Offline Maverick

• Sourdough
Re: Shed Antler Contest?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 01:00:01 AM »
I'm with ya bud. I like this idea. I'll be out hunting hard for sheds this spring. Found 28 this year. I know there's guys here that do a lot better than that. I think it better to make it a single person competition instead of teams. Just my thought but count me in!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:01:31 AM »
I like the idea, come up with some rules and pm me when you have them figured out. We'll probably need another permit and these take time to get, so get on it now if you want the permit in time to do it. :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:03:51 AM »
rule #1 no 509 ers  :chuckle:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 06:04:03 AM »
I've never liked the idea because it encourages people to push harder, get out there earlier and to do unethical behavior.  The animals need a break in the spring.   We will be regulated in this state if folks don't settle down.

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 06:12:10 AM »
I've never liked the idea because it encourages people to push harder, get out there earlier and to do unethical behavior.  The animals need a break in the spring.   We will be regulated in this state if folks don't settle down.
:yeah: good point! I 've neve went out and really tried to hard but have heard horror stories of sleds wheelers and wintering bucks  :bdid:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:

Offline shedcrazy

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 08:26:58 AM »
It has its good and bad. I dont want teams, that means more people in my spots! And it wouldnt really be fair the 509ers would simply clean up!

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
If only I could snap my fingers and go back 15 years.   Shed hunting was a lot of fun before it became popular and turned in to a competition.

This is the beginning of the end.

Offline Maverick

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 11:02:58 AM »
I wouldn't think you'd need a shed hunting permit for a contest, but the game department will do anything for more money... I don't care if we have prizes or not. It'd just be fun seeing how I'm going to be out there a lot anyways.

Offline Bigtine96

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »
I dont like it, cmon guys if your a true shed hunter dont promote it please

Offline biggamehunter

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 11:22:36 AM »
I dont like it, cmon guys if your a true shed hunter dont promote it please

I dont think it matters. people that are gonna get out there and hunt them are gonna be out there, the newbies probably arent gonna be hitting it very hard, i dont think that a competition on here is going to create chaos out in the wilderness. just my  :twocents:

Offline Arteman

• Sourdough
  • General of the Mongolian Bigfoot Militia
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001803366476
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 01:29:21 PM »
I wouldn't think a contest would promote people to go more, Im out as much as possible as it is already, and I think it would be the same for the other folks that hit it hard as well.  I understand the winter thing, although I'm from the westside so the impact isn't as bad as the eastside.  Just thought it would be fun, and would be a good way to keep up on whos finding what.  As far as showing off are sheds, I think we all can agree that we like seeing them, and I'm just as proud of my small finds as my big finds.  I wouldn't care if I came dead last in any category, more for fun than anything.  I would hope some of you would reconsider, if not we could botch the whole idea but like I said I don't think a little HW competition will have a impact or more of a impact on wintering animals or the DFW view on us Antler hunters.  Id be willing to donate a wildlife art project as a prize for the contest and will be posting my art for people to enjoy on HW shortly.
When you see the third, thin the herd.
Right now I'm somewhere picking up sheds.

Offline Drop-tine

• Hunter
  • shed hunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 01:29:46 PM »
Hey whats wrong with the (509)ers  :chuckle:

Offline 10heiau

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 01:53:16 PM »

:yeah: It's always a shame to hear about the unethical yahoos and their antics.

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 01:58:01 PM »
Hey whats wrong with the (509)ers  :chuckle:
Nothing wrong with 509ers it's      509er         s    :chuckle:

Confucius say:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal