collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chukar Hunting  (Read 25585 times)

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Chukar Hunting
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »
Hey PG

Nope, she's all Brittany.  I hadn't ever seen her variation.  She's not really liver, but more a brown rust color.  Since getting her, I've seen several more and realized it's not all that uncommon a color.

Dave

Dave, Did you get Lily from a breeder.  I am partial to the brown and white dogs.
"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Shine Box Turkey Calls Pro Staff

Offline lonedave

• Scout
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »
Not really a breeder, but a couple that my parents knew who used to raise a litter or two every year or so.  It's been a while, though and I don't know if they're even still around after they both retired several years ago.

Offline Flyinlongbow

• Tracker
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2012, 08:59:51 AM »
 Phantom Gobbler , you should look into French Brittany's , they are great pointers and beautiful colors.

My father in law got his from hun runner kennels.

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Longhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »
Phantom Gobbler , you should look into French Brittany's , they are great pointers and beautiful colors.

Thanks, I'll check them out.  Otis (our GSP) needs a hunting buddy!
"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Longhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2012, 05:52:58 PM »

FLB, Couldn't find Hun Runner Kennels on the internet.  Do they have a website or do you know contact number?

Offline Flyinlongbow

• Tracker
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2012, 07:47:37 AM »
Hello PG , it is spelled Hunrunr. They do have contact info. You will find lots of pictures out of the search from  owners but I don't think they have a website.

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2012, 08:55:52 AM »
I had a brittany before I got my setter early last year.  Brittany's are nice dogs, and decent hunters, but man, they can be headstrong and really hyper.  My english setter, in contrast, is an exceptional mid range hunter, very very stylish on point, and is the best house dog/pet I could possibly imagine.  Incredibly sweet and gentle and obedient,  and he really flips the switch when it's time to hunt.  I feel like I hit the gun dog jackpot!

If you haven't decided on a dog yet, I can't recommend a good english setter enough.  Good luck!

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2012, 05:21:24 PM »
I had a brittany before I got my setter early last year.  Brittany's are nice dogs, and decent hunters, but man, they can be headstrong and really hyper.  My english setter, in contrast, is an exceptional mid range hunter, very very stylish on point, and is the best house dog/pet I could possibly imagine.  Incredibly sweet and gentle and obedient,  and he really flips the switch when it's time to hunt.  I feel like I hit the gun dog jackpot!

If you haven't decided on a dog yet, I can't recommend a good english setter enough.  Good luck!

I am a setter fan also but I think being head strong and hyper is a more a matter of breeding than the breed. I have worked with many setters that possess those qualities. its best to spend some time with the pups parents to help hedge your bets on temperament.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline lonedave

• Scout
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
Headstrong and hyper.....That's my Lilly to a tee.  She'll be 11 in March and it still takes her an hour or two to slow down so I can keep up!  I've thought about an English Setter when Lilly finally does retire to the yard.  I just hate the thought of her seeing another dog getting loaded up in the truck when she has to stay home.  I'll probably wait a while before taking that step.

Dave

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2012, 05:20:13 AM »

I am a setter fan also but I think being head strong and hyper is a more a matter of breeding than the breed. I have worked with many setters that possess those qualities. its best to spend some time with the pups parents to help hedge your bets on temperament.

Point well taken.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2012, 06:53:54 AM »
I hunted chukars behind an English Setter once.  She was a wonderful dog, I really enjoyed it.
Matthew 7:13-14

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal