collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ranger shot at Mt. Rainier NP  (Read 44995 times)

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
Re: Ranger shot at Mt. Rainier NP
« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2012, 03:51:38 PM »
KING TV is reporting he was found and identified.  He was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and one shoe.  Ed Troyer has stated thgat there is no sign of trauma or violence, and one may assume that hypothermia was the cause of death

Wow, a real survivalist huh?

A M F

Damnnnn ,, i think I could survive one night without any gear.. might be cold, but I would survive... 
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline SniperDanWA

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2012, 03:53:33 PM »
I'm glad they found him.  That puts one item to rest.  Too bad for two families though.  One lost a wife and mother.  His daughter lost her dad too.  I'd hate to learn about my dad when I grew up, only to know he killed another girls' mom.  It Sux.  It all Sux.  We will hear about this for days, weeks and months to come.  How one man's lunacy can create such hysteria.

My heart breaks for all those kids, and the Ranger's husband.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
One shoe?  Sounds like hypothermia.

Paradoxical undressing

Twenty to fifty percent of hypothermia deaths are associated with paradoxical undressing. This typically occurs during moderate to severe hypothermia, as the person becomes disoriented, confused, and combative. They may begin discarding their clothing, which, in turn, increases the rate of heat loss. [21][22]

Rescuers who are trained in mountain survival techniques are taught to expect this; however, some may assume incorrectly that urban victims of hypothermia have been subjected to a sexual assault. [23]

One explanation for the effect is a cold-induced malfunction of the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that regulates body temperature. Another explanation is that the muscles contracting peripheral blood vessels become exhausted (known as a loss of vasomotor tone) and relax, leading to a sudden surge of blood (and heat) to the extremities, fooling the person into feeling overheated. [23]
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Ranger91298

• Longhunter
« Reply #198 on: January 02, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »
And yea if someone doesn't get T.reeted with PTSD  its because they didn't want help.
Colockumelk, I can't agree more with everything you have said. I am not trying to threadjack but it frustrates me how much people allow themselves to be influenced by what the news says. Everyone is quick to believe that the military is not doing enough for its veterans regarding PTSD. People need to wake up and breath in a little reality. If you don't know the facts then don't assume. The military has all the services needed for Service Members to get help but if a person is too macho or chooses not to let the system help them then who's fault is it? At the same time the government doesn't help either. Our government is so fricken far in debt that they are cutting our own throats. They are so quick to provide Trillions of dollars to other countries in the time of need when we have our own issues within our own borders. We throw millions and millions of dollars to all these greedy corporations that were going under but yet who suffers for it; our own taxpayers foot the bill. The very people that are struggling to make ends meat all while these millionaire/billionaire corporations get off easy.  In the end everything costs money. So, if the military loses money from the Federal Government to help provide support for such things as PTSD I don't see how it is the militaries fault if the government is pissing away money to other countries or these large corporations w/their yearly multi-million dollar bonuses.
Just to clarify things... this is my OWN opinion and in no way reflects the military stance on the issues brought up...

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
KING TV is reporting he was found and identified.  He was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and one shoe.  Ed Troyer has stated thgat there is no sign of trauma or violence, and one may assume that hypothermia was the cause of death

A M F

Damnnnn ,, i think I could survive one night without any gear.. might be cold, but I would survive...

He may have just quit and laid down, it was reported early on he had been drinking in Skyway. He may have still been intoxicated when he bailed out :dunno:

Panicked, drunk, clad in cotton running through deep snow.  Strike 1,2,3...

Offline Ranger91298

• Longhunter
« Reply #200 on: January 02, 2012, 04:24:05 PM »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #201 on: January 02, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
I think its somewhat fitting that the mountain killed him, especially after having killed a ranger stationed on it

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2012, 05:52:06 PM »

A M F

How?  In 70 inches of snow and having to walk in creeks to try to hide your tracks? I don't see how anyone could survive that.

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #203 on: January 02, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »
A person even without gear can survive a lot, when in their right mind.  Pretty sure this guy was freaked out, possibly still intoxicated.  Hell he must have been out of his mind to go splashing through a creek in tennis shoes and jeans in that kind of snow.  I'm not surprised it ended this quick, this way.  Glad for it too.

The more I see pictures of Mrs. Anderson and that Port Wine Stain (the correct term) on her jaw, the more I think I saw her somewhere before...

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #204 on: January 02, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »
...How?  In 70 inches of snow and having to walk in creeks to try to hide your tracks? I don't see how anyone could survive that.

They didn't.

The guy was doomed from the pavement it sounded. Unless the snow was crusted hard, he would have been trudging thru some wet snow and would have started to get damp and cold. Add a creek to his sneakers...and forgetaboutit'.... He probably walked out of his sneaker and did not even realize it.

Too bad, so sad, I'm glad.

Thank god his diseased carcass is not filthing up our national park. Thank god that the families may seek closure. Thank god healing may begin.

molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #205 on: January 04, 2012, 11:11:22 PM »
Its too bad he died so quick...At least he is dead though. I wish that would somehow make her family feel better
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2012, 03:49:00 AM »
A fund for donations has been established for the family of Ranger Margaret Anderson
Posted by Nick Provenza on January 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM
The News Tribune in Tacoma has posted an item giving details on how to donate to a fund that’s been set up for the family of National Park Service Ranger Margaret Anderson who was slain Sunday in Mount Rainier National Park.

Here’s their post:

An account in Anderson’s name has been established at KeyBank.

To make donations by mail, send them to KeyBank: Margaret Anderson Donation Account, P.O. Box 159, Eatonville, WA 98328. Make checks payable to Margaret Anderson Donation Account.
To make a donation electronically, contact your bank and asked to have the money sent to the address above.
Donations can be made in person at any KeyBank branch nationwide.
KeyBank cannot process donations over the phone.
Donations in lieu of flowers have been requested from those wishing to express their support of Margaret Anderson’s family, Mount Rainier National Park spokesman Kevin Bacher said Tuesday night.

Offline goosegetter79

• YAR Member
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
Sometimes you gotta use coffee cups to get a message too people....

Copter drops coffee cups to warn Rainier campers

Posted: Jan 05, 2012 8:35 AM PST Updated: Jan 05, 2012 8:35 AM PST

BELLINGHAM, Wash. (AP) - A helicopter searching for the gunman who killed a Mount Rainier National Park ranger on New Year's Day came across a small group of campers and used an unusual method to warn them the shooter was at large.

The crew of the Bellingham-based Customs and Border Protection helicopter wrote messages on paper coffee cups and dropped them to the campers on Monday morning telling them of the danger and urging them to hike out.

"A ranger has been shot...Shooter at large...Take road to Falls...We will keep an eye on you," the handwritten messages on coffee cups said.

The Bellingham Herald reports (http://is.gd/eCjAs2 ) the copter crew had picked up coffee from a stand near the airport.

1 of the hikers, Natalia Martinez-Paz wrote about the experience in a post at nwhikers.net.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »
That sounds like something I woulda done.  :chuckle: Gotta love ingenuity to get something done!  :tup:
the head has been lopped of the eagle.our country has become a nation of losers,them that feed on the teet and can do no more than suckle from them that toil. ~ Rasbo

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]