collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Stupid dodge headlights!!!!!!!  (Read 60010 times)

Offline bullcanyon

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Stupid dodge headlights!!!!!!!
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:09:52 AM »
Just a little fyi for some of you dodge owners. If your truck is an 06 or newer. Better hope you don't have a light go out. Drivers side low beam on my wifes truck went out last week. Put a new bulb in and nothing. Tried it on the pass side and it worked fine. Did a little research and apparently dodge thought it would be a great idea to get rid of relays and fuses to the lights. Instead we run off of a tipm (Totally Integrated Power Module). So now instead of a $.10 fuse. We get to put a $850 module in if it can't be reset. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see about getting it reset. From what I've read. You can reset it 5 times before it has to be replaced. That is if it didn't fry when the light went out. Couldn't be more excited right now.

Offline bullcanyon

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Stupid dodge headlights!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:52:48 PM »
Update for ya. Called a few dealers feeling them out. All played dumb. Even the one i took it to. Tried scanning for codes at autozone with their tool and got nothing to show up. Got down to the dealer and got the star gazed look. Explained what I wanted done and nothing more. Headed up to wholesale sports and bought the kids a pair of .22 rifles. Just got done paying and got the call that the truck was fixed. I asked if they reset the tipm and got the confident yep:) Isn't that something I said. They don't want you to know that it can be reset. Resetting nets them $66 bucks give or take. Replacement will be closer to a grand. So if you have a newer dodge, and you have a headlight go out that won't come on with a new bulb. Go get your tipm reset and don't let them scam ya.

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:12:34 PM »
TIPM's aren't just for the headlights. And most auto manufactures have them integrated into electrical/computer systems now.

Google is your friend.

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »
  I just exerienced the same thing last september.  I googled it and found the same thing.  Mine was still under warranty so the dealer was able to talk the warrant company into replacing it.  They also told me not to go with the high intensity headlights.  They make it worse! :bash:

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:06:05 PM »
Go buy a $10 relay. Use the other light to excite it.

Offline RoyBoy

• The Buck Creek Kid
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: "Coyote 5.0"
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »
gotta love technolligy right?  :chuckle:  :bash: :bash:
"It aint about how hard you hit. Its about how hard you can hit and keep moving forward! how much you can take and keep moving forward!!

-Rocky

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:15:06 AM »
If a bulb burned out, it will set a fault code. It disables the circuit to prevent potential damage. The truck is not smart enough to know it's just a burned out bulb, it sees a problem with the circuit and disables it. Clear the code and you're good to go. It's just like getting a check engine light and then the cruise control won't work...it's a safety precaution. Vehicles are pretty damn smart but not that smart.
Should be no issue with anything not resetting. I've done it dozens of times myself right in the service drive for people for free. Not sure why you think the dealer doesn't want anyone to know....it should be no secret....you just need to find a dealer who knows WTF they're talking about. I would about guarantee you you got the stargazed look because the guy didn't know what you were talking about. It's not a conspiracy and we don't need to or want to keep secrets from anyone. FYI the same thing will happen if you burn out a brake light or a turn signal bulb. You have to go into the body control module to retrieve and/or clear fault codes. Pretty sure Auto Zone/'Shucks/etc scanners can't access anything but the PCM. I could be wrong there.
Dodge is not the only ones using a TIPM. It's mostly just a fancy name for a fuse box.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:19:33 AM »
Update for ya. Called a few dealers feeling them out. All played dumb. Even the one i took it to. Tried scanning for codes at autozone with their tool and got nothing to show up. Got down to the dealer and got the star gazed look. Explained what I wanted done and nothing more. Headed up to wholesale sports and bought the kids a pair of .22 rifles. Just got done paying and got the call that the truck was fixed. I asked if they reset the tipm and got the confident yep:) Isn't that something I said. They don't want you to know that it can be reset. Resetting nets them $66 bucks give or take. Replacement will be closer to a grand. So if you have a newer dodge, and you have a headlight go out that won't come on with a new bulb. Go get your tipm reset and don't let them scam ya.

You got robbed. Call the service manager. If it took more than 2-3 minutes to do this, the guy doing it didn't know WTF he was doing. You should not be paying for his lack of knowledge.

I missed this part too...
Just a little fyi for some of you dodge owners. If your truck is an 06 or newer. Better hope you don't have a light go out. Drivers side low beam on my wifes truck went out last week. Put a new bulb in and nothing. Tried it on the pass side and it worked fine. Did a little research and apparently dodge thought it would be a great idea to get rid of relays and fuses to the lights. Instead we run off of a tipm (Totally Integrated Power Module). So now instead of a $.10 fuse. We get to put a $850 module in if it can't be reset. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see about getting it reset. From what I've read. You can reset it 5 times before it has to be replaced. That is if it didn't fry when the light went out. Couldn't be more excited right now.

Not true. You can clear codes as many times as you want to/need to.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline bullcanyon

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 05:08:08 AM »
I was going off of the many posts I've seen on the net about the tipm being reset 5 times. You sound more in the know than me. So that is good to hear. I called three dealers and not one of them acted like they knew what I was asking about. Said they had never heard of that happening. I figured there was absolutely no way my truck was the first one to ever have that happen.

Guess I need to find out where you work so I can go somewhere that employees people with at least half a brain. JK

Offline Black Ram

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 05:42:18 AM »
Hey bullcanyon, just replaced the power slider on my 09 dodge ram, just the slider window, not the whole thing, cost me 199.36 out the door. If you ever need to do this window let me know, I figured out how to put it in safley.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 05:53:58 AM »
Replacing it already that doesnt sound very good.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 06:44:31 AM »
Replacing it already that doesnt sound very good.

Broke the glass?

Offline goosewhacker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 07:06:39 AM »
I am having the same problem. If y'all know a dealer around the Renton area or wherever that knows what's going on please post or PM me. I've called 3 and get the star=gazed look over the phone. Thanks!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:14:20 AM »
I am having the same problem. If y'all know a dealer around the Renton area or wherever that knows what's going on please post or PM me. I've called 3 and get the star=gazed look over the phone. Thanks!

Sent you a pm....happy to help if you want to come by.
-JB

Offline bullcanyon

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
I'd go see jackelope. Sounds like he will take care of ya. If you don't. Make sure you tell em you want your tipm reset.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal