collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: thinking about going to Idaho? Salmon, ID  (Read 12874 times)

Offline mmullins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
thinking about going to Idaho? Salmon, ID
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
I have never hunted outside of western Washington. I have an opportunity to go over to Salmon ID for a mule deer hunt. Ive done a little research and haven't came up with to much. I am not looking for honey holes, just a little bit of info to help me decide if the out of state tag will be worth it. Also the reason for basing out of Salmon is my buddy has hooked us up with a place to stay.

Offline norsepeak

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
Re: thinking about going to Idaho? Salmon, ID
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:48:30 PM »
hunted over there three times....here is a nickels worth of free advice....BUY A WOLF TAG!  That's about all you'll see in that country anymore.  Used to be some fantastic mule deer hunting, but the last time I went, we saw hardly any deer or elk, just lots of bone piles and wolf tracks.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »
I lion hunted down there this winter and saw hundreds of elk, lots of bighorns and plenty of mule deer.  We also saw wolf tracks every day.  Have a wolf tag.

We hunted the East side of the river between the MT border and the river- i think it was unit 30- the area up around North Fork seemed gamier, we saw more deer and sheep there- it was unit 28.

Offline summit creek

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:20:19 PM »
i know a group of older loggers from morton they fill there deer tags every year in salmon nothing huge but these guys drink lots of jim beam and beer and road hunt but kill bucks every year since ive known them 13 years

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »
We hunted out of riggins this past year and saw tons of deer...I know wolves eat alot of game,but the way some describe areas is like hunting the face of the moon. I have heard these storys of areas for years now,but everytime I scout or hunt these bad areas I see lots of game

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Me too...Maybe we're just too used to WA and our acute lack of game!! :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Stlheader

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I hunted the general rifle season for elk last year in unit 28 and I will not be going back. My buddy ended up killing a spike bull on the last day, but we had 3 guys in camp and hunted hard for over a week. I couldn't believe the absolute lack of wildlife in an area that contains such great habitat. We saw very little elk sign overall and wolves howling outside the tent one night. I saw one really nice 6pt taken and heard of 2 other bulls, pretty lame for the amount of people in there. I would try somewhere else.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:24:19 PM »
There is a lot of area around Salmon.  It is easy to hunt at 9000+ feet.  The terrain will kick your rear if you let it, it can be a brutal hunt.  The area is not for the faint of heart.  I put in miles and miles every day in very good MD country overlooking large drainages with spotting scopes without seeing any animals at all.  We only saw 10 deer, all but two were does and one decent buck which we shot.  Miles and Miles of excellent looking country without an animal in it.  The big boys are in there but they are hard to find.  Everyone talks about all the wolves running around, we did cut one track.  One of the most beautiful places on earth.  Overall I was disappointed.         

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:55:06 PM »
I've been to Salmon, Idaho three times in the last several years, with the wife to visit her grandparents. I'm astounded at the lack of game. I do see a few deer down along the river in the private fields, but very few. I would expect to see hundreds of deer but I sure don't. In all the time I spent driving around over there, I've seen one cow elk. I've gone way up high in the mountains and there's nothing up there, not even any sign. My father in law and I rode ATV's for most of a day, from the river all the way up to about 8000 feet and never once saw a deer, elk, or any other living thing. This has been mostly in unit 28. There is at least one unit in the area that does not have a general rifle season for elk, and I hear elk numbers are better in that unit. But they are hard to get to unless you're in good shape and/or have horses.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »
Me too...Maybe we're just too used to WA and our acute lack of game!! :chuckle: :chuckle:

I think thats it....Ive gotten so use to what we have here then head outta state and its like a candy store :chuckle:

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 11:33:07 PM »

I think thats it....Ive gotten so use to what we have here then head outta state and its like a candy store :chuckle:

Thats what I figured when I moved to MT this year, everyone said how bad the winter kill was. I dont think I went a day of hunting with out seeing at least 10 deer and 1 or 2 bucks, and that was a bad day  :chuckle:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 06:11:45 AM »
Yeah thats alot of what I consider when I read statements from locals about hunting in the area. They sure would be in for a huge surprise if they came and hunted WA from say MT or CO  :chuckle:

Offline bullchaser

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »
That place is nothing like it use to be I have buddies who have hunted their all their life and shot no bs 40" bucks but those days may be gone.  If you buy a tag pm me and I will tell you were I have seen a few big boys.

Offline mmullins

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies. We are still up in the air if we are going to go mule deer hunting. If this hunt dosnt work out I may have a chance to go over for a archery elk hunt.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies. We are still up in the air if we are going to go mule deer hunting. If this hunt dosnt work out I may have a chance to go over for a archery elk hunt.

That would be a much better option if you're going to be in the Salmon area, in my opinion. There's a unit there that is draw only for elk rifle season, but over-the-counter for archery. I want to try that someday. If we go to visit my wife's grandparents again this summer I will try to do some scouting while I'm there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]