collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New duck call  (Read 8579 times)

Offline whatcomhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New duck call
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:11:20 PM »
I am thinking about getting a new duck call for next year. Daves sporting goods in lynden has some zink ph2's that i have been looking at and i am wondering if spending more $ on a duck call will get more ducks to commit to my spread? I am saving up for a SBE 2 so spending less on a call would be nice but if it will get me more ducks than i will spend the extra $. What call do you guys think i should get.

Offline Jim Sr.

• I am a stalker of Geese, literally!!!
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
Re: New duck call
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:24:08 PM »
It really depends on your calling ability & confidence, if your a good  caller even a low $ call will sound good & bring in the birds. I for one need tons of practice before this season opens  :chuckle:

Good luck. Jim Sr.
If I killed every thing I shot at, I'd be Phat!!!

Offline bone collector 12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:49:17 PM »
I agree with what jim says,also If ur looking for a cheap good call I would look at the quackhead calls,but the best calls I have ever used are RNT calls,and I'm pretty sure they are in the same price range as the zink calls

Offline johnnyaustin44

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:51:20 PM »
Birds don't care what kind of call you have just about what your call sounds like. higher end calls generally tend to sound more ducky but it mostly depends on the caller itself being able to give the right calls at the right time but mostly its location. also better calls tend to last longer in my experiences but you just gotta test out different calls and see which ones blow the best for you cause everyone blows differently. good luck

Offline duckkillerclyde

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »
I kill a lot of ducks every year.  and my go to call in a 6 in 1 whistle.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
Save your money and forget the SBE II.  I have one and the rem 870 seems to bail me out in duck blinds.  Once I get water on mine it freezes or gets dirty and jams. 

Like it for coffin blind or pit hunting geese, but for some reason it hates duck blinds near water. 
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline johnnyaustin44

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
Save your money and forget the SBE II.  I have one and the rem 870 seems to bail me out in duck blinds.  Once I get water on mine it freezes or gets dirty and jams. 

Like it for coffin blind or pit hunting geese, but for some reason it hates duck blinds near water. 
most guns will freeze if the get wet and its cold enough. Haven't seen any problems with them.

Offline Ned

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 04:36:29 PM »

Hey, thanks for the great tip on what duck call to buy  :bash:

Offline duckkillerclyde

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »
Kum duck is good.   NOt the old plastic ones but the new wooden ones.  You can usually buy factory seconds for $40.  The guy that owns it is real nice too.  I have a kum duck and besides my whistle I use it the second most.   go to youtube and watch his video. 

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 05:04:56 PM »
He talked about saving up for the SBE 2.  Sorry to see someone beat their head against the wall for the tip on saving $ for a call instead.  SBE's have to be pushing 2k these days?       
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline Mathews Heli m

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 08:47:43 PM »
I have 2 echo calls and i love them! i have a 130$ echo timber that is awesome! It sounds raspy and it will still sound good when it is 10 degrees and all of my other calls are frozen. My other one is the 50$ Diamondwood call, it sounds almost as good as my timber but it freezes up way quicker when it gets cold. the timber costs some  :twocents: but is a sweet call.
Muzzy, Bad to the Bone!

Offline Skagit_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 08:40:52 AM »
I am thinking about getting a new duck call for next year. Daves sporting goods in lynden has some zink ph2's that i have been looking at and i am wondering if spending more $ on a duck call will get more ducks to commit to my spread? I am saving up for a SBE 2 so spending less on a call would be nice but if it will get me more ducks than i will spend the extra $. What call do you guys think i should get.

Location Location Location...... Will get you more ducks than a call or a gun. Calls work early to mid season. After that less is better.
And mid to late is when you will see the most birds.
Buy a black hoodie A new call and a gun and some new this years camo. It wont get you nothing without LOCATION :sry:
If you are where the birds want to be, You can limit in a pink dress :tup: no call and a 870.
I did all but the the pink dress for the last 40 yrs with a 870 and now a SN for 2 yrs with blob and now shadowgrass 2 and olt and a PH plastic call. Once you figure out LOCATION is the most important part. The rest comes easy
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:52:45 AM by Skagit_Hunter »
Bird counts in signature are as gay as Elton John's fanny pack.
Along with black hoodies

Offline brocka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 03:39:29 PM »
The Zink PH2 is a great call, Its been my go to call for a few years now. After blowing cheap polycarbonate calls for 6+ years I switched to the Acrylic & holy smokes what a difference. The range of different calls you can get the call to do is incredible. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with a decent poly call, but the Acrylic is whole new world, for me anyway. A duck call is just a small piece to the puzzle though.  :twocents:

Offline Sprig58

• Pilgrim
  • I fart feathers
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »
Depends on what type of caller you are.  Can you get the most out of that RNT or is a ZINK gonna be better for you.  I would say try them both, along with maybe an echo timber.  I myself have used them all, but haven't found any I like more than Lares.  His calls can do everything, and do not stick.  But everyones different, and confidence in what calls you use is almost as important as knowing how to run them.

Offline jgoetz

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 12:19:53 AM »
Another cheap call would be the Buck Gardner Double Nasty 2.  Super easy to blow.  Just trying to give you some options.  I am probally going to be picking up a PH2 before the season to add to the lanyard though.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal