collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which moose permit?  (Read 12404 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Which moose permit?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »
I would put her in for it, if you think she's ready. Obviously if she's ready for an elk hunt then she should be ready for a moose hunt. Odds are terrible but it doesn't cost anymore to apply for an actual hunt rather than just a point. What if ten years from now there are no more moose permits, or very few, due to the wolves?

She would probably have to settle for the first bull you could find that would hold still long enough for her to shoot, which may not be the biggest moose in the unit, but I be she won't care.

Offline Arteman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • General of the Mongolian Bigfoot Militia
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001803366476
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 05:26:15 PM »
Yeah since there is no limit on how many Antlerless Moose a person can take in a lifetime I'm putting her in for both that category, and the Youth category.  Maybe I should just do the points option again for her on the Any Bull, until I learn more how to hunt them and what to expect, I'd hate to blow her chance if the cosmos lined together right and she did draw it lol.  I've only seen 3 in Wash, one Bull down in Asotin, and 2 Cows up in Okanogan during a Cougar pilot hunt.  That's about as much experience I have with them.
When you see the third, thin the herd.
Right now I'm somewhere picking up sheds.

Offline Arteman

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 05:54:36 PM »
I would put her in for it, if you think she's ready. Obviously if she's ready for an elk hunt then she should be ready for a moose hunt. Odds are terrible but it doesn't cost anymore to apply for an actual hunt rather than just a point. What if ten years from now there are no more moose permits, or very few, due to the wolves?

She would probably have to settle for the first bull you could find that would hold still long enough for her to shoot, which may not be the biggest moose in the unit, but I be she won't care.
Good points.  It would have to sit around for a while for her to take a shot.  She has this thing right now with shooting without earmuffs, freaked out without them, I understand Target practice its ok, but in the heat of the hunt it can be a pain to get set.  If Moose are anything like Elk it could be a problem.  We will be working on shooting a lot this summer, hoping to break this paranoia.  More I think of it I'm leaning to the points option, take the chances on an Antlerless tag.  I don't care yet if she is successful at filling any tags or not as long as she's enjoying herself, but I would care if it were oil.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »
 :twocents:

Arte,

Just one man's opinion:   If she's even remotely ready for a rifle rut elk hunt, I think she's ready for moose.   They are much easier to hunt than elk, IMHO.

Besides, I pretty much guarrantee that if she did draw a tag and you posted it up here, she would get more help than you could use.

I drew a cow moose hunt 5-6 years ago, and I got SO MUCH GREAT HELP on this site.   I imagine your daughter would get 10X what I got.

DO IT!!!!!

Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Arteman

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 06:28:53 PM »
Thanks Dan-o, my whole theory on the rut hunt is so I could have her set up while my buds bring a bull right in for her and have her ready, that and the Mudflow seems easy enough to get her a shot at one.  I know she wont draw them yet, but that's the only way she will get to hunt bulls this year.  I won't take her during the general Elk season with how chaotic it is here just yet, I did put her in for a bunch of late Cow Elk permits I would take her on though.  Thanks for your opinion, the Moose I've observed before seemed to be more annoyed with my presence than scared, probably makes them an easier target huh?

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 06:34:59 PM »
My (limited) experience hunting them is that if you shoot one, the others won't leave and you have to keep shooting into the hill side for a while to get them to leave.

I'm sure it's not always that way, but....
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Arteman

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 06:43:33 PM »
 :chuckle: that is funny!  Btw congrats on getting a Moose, bet that was a awesome experience.   :tup:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 08:08:22 PM »
IMO the points option is a waste of money on oil tags. Odds are so bad f actually drawing I don't think points make any notable difference. Its all luck. I see it as just missing an opportunity by applying points only. Get the youngin the tag and there will be plenty of help!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 09:44:30 PM »
Or does it really matter? I've always figured that any moose permit would be a good hunt, and so I've always just put in for the ones that have the most tags. My question is do you guys think that one tag is better than the other or do you just need to draw any tag to get a big moose here in wa?  I am only talking about bulls.

Your theory is right, in my opinion, in that you are applying for the hunts that have the most permits.

You just need to draw a permit, it doesn't really matter where it is.

The one that I know could be a tough hunt now is Hangman, since Inland Empire Paper closed Mica Peak to motorized vehicles. You're looking at 3 or 4 miles to pack a moose out if you draw that one. If that doesn't bother you though, that might at least be a good 4th choice because it should be an easier draw.

They were opening the gates last year if you harvested a moose in hangman...u just had to hike up  a long ways to hunt.

I dont think anyone has ever drawn a 2-4 choice on moose ever..everytime I have looked at draw reports is 1st choice

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:32:36 PM by bobcat »

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 05:16:24 PM »
If you are putting your daughter in go points only and if you want an easier tag put he in for the youth only antlerless hunt. She would have a good chance of drawing and putting ALOT of meat in the freezer and down the line would still be able to draw a bull tag. You can draw as many antlerless as you want but once that any bull tag happens you are done. My buddies 10 year old shot a cow on Mt. Spokane 2 years ago and afterward his son said " Dad we should get a moose tag every year they are way easier to hunt than deer!" Smart ass kids.  :chuckle:

kids! Hahaha! That's great. :chuckle:

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »
I think you will see a lot of her jitters go away with copious amounts of practice.  We are blessed by living in an area that is rural enough that we built a 200 yard range on one of the neighbors cow fields.   I started my kids out about a solid year before their first hunt with the basics of good shooting form, trigger control, breathing, and most of all safety.  Usually a couple months before season I take them out once a week now that they are competant, and let them free fire a couple boxes each in assorted positions.  My kids have grown as marksmen considerably as they have been able to fire their weapons at their pace, and without me on top of them the whole time.  Both my children have harvested deer every season since they started, and they are amazingly calm when taking their shots.  I too had reservations about moose for them because of their age, but I think it would just require some practice with a larger caliber then they would be ready.  If you are blessed enough to draw a moose tag of any type for them you would share memories together that will be shared for a lifetime I wish her the best of luck.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Which moose permit?
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
I drew my fourth choice for moose in 08 so it does happen sometime

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 07:39:31 PM »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 07:40:12 PM »
I drew my fourth choice for moose in 08 so it does happen sometime

It happens quite regularly actually. I'm not sure where he saw that people were only drawing their first choices.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2012, 07:42:41 PM »
" I dont think anyone has ever drawn a 2-4 choice on moose ever..everytime I have looked at draw reports is 1st choice"

The way our draw works, any choice is possible.  What matters most is which choices are harder / easier.  If you put the easiest to draw choice as your fourth choice, that is most likely which one will be drawn if any.

Very few other states work this way.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal