collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hornady 178grain A-max BT  (Read 4404 times)

Offline lilshootergirl

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • lilshootergirl
Hornady 178grain A-max BT
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:58:02 AM »
:bash:[/size]I bought these bullets to load for my Remington 308 24" barrel with 1x10 twist and read some forums that say this is not for big game hunting? I don't have a Hornady reloading book so I'm not sure how to load for this bullet? I use Varget powder, what is your thoughts on this bullet and loads? looked thru alot of calculator sites and came up with no data. where can I get this info? thanks :bash:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 05:13:11 PM by lilshootergirl »
I'm a huntress.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Hornady 178grain v-max BT
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:04:42 PM »
I just looked at hornadys sight and didn't see a 178 v Max. Only 178 a Max.  Could this be what you have? If so they are marketed as a target bullet much like the sierra match king. I know people are hunting with match kings and a Max bullets with performance similar to Berger hunting bullets.
 :hello:

Offline Feanix

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:59:55 PM »
Correction, quoted the bullet incorrectly. A-MAX are swaged match bullets, not recommended for hunting. They will do fine on small game, but are designed for fast, violent expansion with minimal penetration.

The largest V-MAX they make is 110gr, so im guessing that you have A-MAXs as BULLBLASTER said. Varget produces a very accurate load for the 168gr bullets, and should perform fine for the heavier bullets. With the heavier bullet and long barrel, you may be able to load more efficient and accurate rounds with a slower burning powder, though. I will look at my friend's Hornady book and see what it says.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:16:02 PM by Feanix »

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 03:48:43 PM »
It's just a typo guys, she is referring to the 178 A-Max. I shoot 43.5 grains of Varget with the 178's through my 10 twist, Sig Sauer 716 carbine. The A-Max's at .308 Velocities are a excellent big game bullet.

Offline Feanix

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Looking at the Hornady book and at a few sites, it seems Varget is king for these particular bullets. You should be fine from an accuracy standpoint. personally, i would use a deeper penetrating bullet for anything larger than deer, but im sure a well placed shot with one will kill about anything

Offline lilshootergirl

• Women's Board
  • Tracker
    • lilshootergirl
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 04:08:33 PM »
:sry:I love you guys your alway out there to help any lady that needs it!! Yes your Right it was a typo Its a A-max 178 grain I don't have the Hornady book to load for my remington 308 so what is the minum load and the max load? with Varget? does it say?
I'm a huntress.

Offline Feanix

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 04:38:43 PM »
32-43.2 in the hornady book.  IMR load data is not quite as conservative. My friend loads in the upper range of Hornady data for 168s and we have taken rock chucks out to 630 yards.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »
Shoot the 165 Accubond and be happy. :tup:

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Hornady 178grain A-max BT
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Bigger.....have you any comparison data between the Accubond and the Interbond ???

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 06:06:26 PM »
Bigger.....have you any comparison data between the Accubond and the Interbond ???

Other than on paper, no. The Accubond performed so well for me, it's the only bullet I have taken big game animals with since their arrival. With the aception of a Speer Hotcore and several Hornady Interlocks. With that being said Hornady is my second choice when it comes to a bullet I would choose other than that of the Nosler line up for hunting. When it comes to varmints I have taken many more with a V-Max than I have with a Ballistic Tip.

Offline buckfvr

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »
Thanks..............

Offline hillbilli

• Longhunter
  • NAVY CHIEF
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 08:17:22 PM »
This site has quite a bit about the terminal ballistics of the Amax, it can be used for deer sized game, and works well, especially if it is a heavy for caliber like the 178gr...     http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledge+Base.html

Offline GEARHEAD

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 08:45:34 PM »
that set up you have will be very very accurate and will serve you well, being its shooting out of a .308. that slower velocity will allow the jacket to stayput a little bit longer giving you decent penetration. that said, i would still use it on only deer, and body shots no closer than maybe 250 yards. if it turns out to be a tack driver, and your shooting a deer from sticks or a bi-pod, go for the neck, at shots closer, be sure to hit bone on a neck shot. good luck.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »
I just have to say something :dunno: :chuckle: :chuckle: To me there is no bullet better than the hornaday interlock  ...None ....just my opinion ...... they have neveeeer let me down ....and they always hold together .....I have dropped a few bear in my day from short range to long range and it always been the same report ....night night  :chuckle: :chuckle: 8) Just what I think .....just like my broadheads (WASP ) Nothen better  :dunno: :chuckle: again just my  :twocents: if I am loading for hunting it is Hornaday for me BUT if I am loading to shoot super tight groups on paper or varmit hunting I like Sierra bullets ....they usually dot the same hole !!

Offline lilshootergirl

• Women's Board
  • Tracker
    • lilshootergirl
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 10:19:43 AM »
size]Gearhead that sight was great from all angles of the scientific and the reality of what bullet does what thanks the was a wealth of information thanks
I'm a huntress.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal