collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 140gr Hornady A-Max for deer?  (Read 7666 times)

Offline FLIZZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
140gr Hornady A-Max for deer?
« on: September 06, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
I know it says its a match bullet, but velocity isn't THAT high so I'm sure it would stay together and do a number on a deer. Thoughts?

Offline Atroxus

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: 140gr Hornady A-Max for deer?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »
This is taken from Hornady's web site.

Features:
AMP Bullet Jackets (Advanced Manufacturing Process).
Best ballistic coefficient possible.
Profile delivers low drag and flat trajectories.
Swaged lead core provides uniformity and consistency.
Unmatched accuracy at long distances.

*Match bullets are not recommended for hunting.

If the manufacturer themselves says the bullet is not recommended for hunting, I would believe them. After all if it was a good hunting bullet I am pretty sure they would want the additional sales.  :twocents:

Offline JLR

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
This is taken from Hornady's web site.

Features:
AMP Bullet Jackets (Advanced Manufacturing Process).
Best ballistic coefficient possible.
Profile delivers low drag and flat trajectories.
Swaged lead core provides uniformity and consistency.
Unmatched accuracy at long distances.

*Match bullets are not recommended for hunting.

If the manufacturer themselves says the bullet is not recommended for hunting, I would believe them. After all if it was a good hunting bullet I am pretty sure they would want the additional sales.  :twocents:

Just because a manufacturer says it's no good for hunting doesn't mean that the bullet won't perform well.  For instance, the 300gr SMK is a match bullet but it works just fine as a hunting bullet.  I don't have any experience with the 140 amax, but the 7mm 162 amax works well out of my 7wsm.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
Most "Match" bullets have the same "Disclaimer" when it comes to using the bullet for hunting purposes. Match bullets from Sierra, Berger, Hornady Etc. Have accounted for taking many big game animals cleanly. It has been hashed out on forums for years, the guys that have done it and the guys that have only read the disclaimer. As always shot placement, shot angle and distance all come into play as is the case with anything short of a bonded core bullet or all copper or "Other"  alloy bullet. I have watched animals shot with them and they were just as dead as me hitting them with one of my preferred Nosler selections.

One thing is sure, up close they are messy on vitals. "Lung soup" comes to mind. They work wonders on Groundhogs/Rockchucks. :tup:

In my experience the A-Max performs closely to the SST, when it comes to terminal performance. I have helped field dress a couple Elk and 4 or so mule deer shot by one or the other.

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »
I am also a believer that shot placement trumps just about everything else, but why take chances on bullet performance when there are so many other accurate bullets available that are designed specifically for hunting?  :dunno:

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 02:05:46 PM »
I shot my spring bear with a 208gr Amax.  Bear went 8 feet after a backflip and was dead within a few seconds.  Very quick kill.  Never found the bullet, didnt have an exit wound.  The entrance hole was huge!  The reason....The bear was quartering away very hard, hit the last rib and the bullet traveled down 6 ribs before making it into the cavity, so it pretty much zippered it open.  After not finding the bullet inside and not having an exit, I am not sure what I think about the Amax for hunting.  I would like to have a longer shot than this one to really see what happens.  300winmag at 20 yards traveling down the ribs... makes for a tough decision on wether I like them as a hunting bullet.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »
I shot my spring bear with a 208gr Amax.  Bear went 8 feet after a backflip and was dead within a few seconds.  Very quick kill.  Never found the bullet, didnt have an exit wound.  The entrance hole was huge!  The reason....The bear was quartering away very hard, hit the last rib and the bullet traveled down 6 ribs before making it into the cavity, so it pretty much zippered it open.  After not finding the bullet inside and not having an exit, I am not sure what I think about the Amax for hunting.  I would like to have a longer shot than this one to really see what happens.  300winmag at 20 yards traveling down the ribs... makes for a tough decision on wether I like them as a hunting bullet.

Sounds like that bullet did it's job. :tup:

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »

I concur, it killed it.
But would like a more "typical" shot on an animal to see what it will do.  I know, no two shots are the same, but you know what I mean.  A nice 100 yard broadside shot with good placement right behind the shoulder; I would be curious what the bullet would have done.  I think no matter what, it will kill.  Just curious about what it does inside, exit hole, explodes on impact, etc.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:18:22 PM »

I concur, it killed it.
But would like a more "typical" shot on an animal to see what it will do.  I know, no two shots are the same, but you know what I mean.  A nice 100 yard broadside shot with good placement right behind the shoulder; I would be curious what the bullet would have done.  I think no matter what, it will kill.  Just curious about what it does inside, exit hole, explodes on impact, etc.

Only way to find out is to do it, I feel the 208 has the task covered. There is allot of difference between the .30 cal 208 and the 140 6.5. We will start with mass. :tup:

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »
Hopefully I will get to try it out on a cow elk, if I cant find one.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 02:21:36 PM »
If you want to shot Hornaday bullets I would stick with the Interlocs .....You will not be disapointed  :twocents: ;)

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
Hopefully I will get to try it out on a cow elk, if I cant find one.

Same here, I will be attempting to try out a .338(.338 Ultra) 285 Hornady Match or a 300gr Berger on a cow in the Manastash unit. 3 of us in camp drew cow permits. :tup:

Offline Jim the Plumber

• Local Legend
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Hunting trespassers from the air
    • http://precisiontactical.co/
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 03:24:32 PM »
Yuppers, the 140 A-Max kills just fine.
285 yard kill with my 264 WM 140A-Max, neck shot dead befor she hit the ground.

Offline FLIZZ

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
I am also a believer that shot placement trumps just about everything else, but why take chances on bullet performance when there are so many other accurate bullets available that are designed specifically for hunting?  :dunno:

But that's just it, this round is BY FAR the most accurate factory cartridge out of my Creedmoor.

Offline FLIZZ

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »
out of my Savage I should say.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal