collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New GMU exploration  (Read 2291 times)

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
New GMU exploration
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »
Hello,

Harmless new hunter here looking for new territory to explore, mostly for exploration sake. I am pretty green, but I really enjoy hanging cams and going for nice long hikes in the woods looking for game sign.
I have been spending my time in the greater Issaquah area and have really enjoyed myself, and that's where I'll be this season as well, but I was thinking of heading West (I live in Tacoma) and exploring the Olympic peninsula.
I was looking at unit 636 for archery deer and 638 for archery elk.

Is there anything I should know about basic access to the area? Being a green hunter, new to the GMU's, anything would help, but I understand the secrecy that people often hold with this sort of information. I'd also be willing to help with someone's hunt or help pack out a kill.

Say hi,
-L

Offline ThomMedic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: evergreen sportsmen club, little rock, wa
Re: New GMU exploration
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 01:17:59 PM »
Purchase an inexpensive subscription to onXmaps, then E-scout for prospective areas to visit. Found some good areas to at least sit down and enjoy the scenery in. Left a few cameras behind.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 10:56:36 PM »
I've never hunted in either of those units, but it appears that 636 is primarily privately owned or National Forest lands.  The former require permission or a trespass fee to access; the latter have been managed (mismanaged) for Spotted Owl habitat, which is often poor deer habitat.  The unit also appears to have a fair amount of tribal harvest.  It's probably a great place to walk about and hang trail cams, but it wouldn't be my first (or second) choice if I wanted to bag a buck.   :twocents:   I guess it comes down to the type of experience you hope to enjoy during your hunts.  If it was me, I'd jump on a ferry and head to the closest island near you and find a place to hang a stand. (hint, hint)
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline onmygame

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 03:58:28 PM »
In GMU 636 the majority of privately held timberland is run by Green Diamond Resource Co. They are awesome stewards of the land they control IMO.

GMU 636 runs north of the Shelton Matlock Hwy, and everything owned by GDRC north of that highway is open to the public - no permit necessary for access unless for commercial purposes. Everything south requires an annual permit for a fee, available for both motor vehicle and walk in.

Where the gates are open, which is throughout much of 636 - be certain to stop and read the entry sign. If a green dot it is open for motor vehicle access, if red, walk in only. Don't let an open gate make you think the road is open, as they are sometimes open for brush pickers, mushroom pickers, logging, etc. You do not want to be driving behind a gate with a red dot, or orange sign which indicates active logging. This can get you both locked in and a ticket from the county sheriff to boot. Also be certain to never block a gate while parked.

The rest of the unit is mostly USFS.

Easy access throughout the unit does equate to high hunter presence - keep that in mind

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 05:34:40 PM »
I've never hunted in either of those units, but it appears that 636 is primarily privately owned or National Forest lands.  The former require permission or a trespass fee to access; the latter have been managed (mismanaged) for Spotted Owl habitat, which is often poor deer habitat.  The unit also appears to have a fair amount of tribal harvest.  It's probably a great place to walk about and hang trail cams, but it wouldn't be my first (or second) choice if I wanted to bag a buck.   :twocents:   I guess it comes down to the type of experience you hope to enjoy during your hunts.  If it was me, I'd jump on a ferry and head to the closest island near you and find a place to hang a stand. (hint, hint)

Whoa where did you get that info? I have onx web up and I am seeing 636 as over half Olympic National Forest.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 06:13:15 PM »
I thought I said that.  Hmmm, let me re-read...... yup.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 06:39:55 PM »
I thought I said that.  Hmmm, let me re-read...... yup.

Sorry you're totally right, I was distracted when I read that.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 06:49:06 PM »
No worries.  My response was tongue in cheek. 

Now that I'm thinking about it, isn't this the unit that the Tribes leased a huge chunk of the best elk lands from Green Diamond about three years ago, and they don't let any non-Native Americans access it?

Offline onmygame

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 12:02:38 AM »
No worries.  My response was tongue in cheek. 

Now that I'm thinking about it, isn't this the unit that the Tribes leased a huge chunk of the best elk lands from Green Diamond about three years ago, and they don't let any non-Native Americans access it?

I'm pretty sure that area is further south near Summit Lake in GMU 651

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10