collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: wyoming elk unit 41  (Read 1691 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
wyoming elk unit 41
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:09:04 AM »
I bought gohunt insider this weekend and spent some time researching and one unit that intrigued me was 41 for archery. Anybody hunted it recently?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: wyoming elk unit 41
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »
I haven't hunted it recently but I know it quite well.  A great place for an archery hunt, not a bad place for a rifle hunt.  When I had radiocollared cows in there in the early 1990s some of them recognized the influx of hunter activity before the opener and beelined for the wilderness for most of the first week of the general season.  If you have deer points too I'd recommend a combo archery hunt there, not a lot of big deer by Wyoming standards but plenty of nice mature bucks in the 18-24" range, mostly very typical symmetrical 4x4s with average mass, 120-150 class.  Also lots of blue grouse, but you will need an upland bird license too to shoot them.  You get nonresident fishing privileges too with the elk license, great numbers of trout in most of the streams and lakes in the Bighorns. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »
I haven't hunted it recently but I know it quite well.  A great place for an archery hunt, not a bad place for a rifle hunt.  When I had radiocollared cows in there in the early 1990s some of them recognized the influx of hunter activity before the opener and beelined for the wilderness for most of the first week of the general season.  If you have deer points too I'd recommend a combo archery hunt there, not a lot of big deer by Wyoming standards but plenty of nice mature bucks in the 18-24" range, mostly very typical symmetrical 4x4s with average mass, 120-150 class.  Also lots of blue grouse, but you will need an upland bird license too to shoot them.  You get nonresident fishing privileges too with the elk license, great numbers of trout in most of the streams and lakes in the Bighorns.

Awesome! Thanks for the info

Offline NoBark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »
How many points are you sitting on Vandy?

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 01:22:14 PM »
Tag  :camp:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 01:31:30 PM »
How many points are you sitting on Vandy?

6 elk/deer/lope

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 01:52:02 PM »
You gotta really like archery to burn 6pts on a Wyoming elk tag :chuckle: you can get an amazing rifle elk hunt with 6 points and still hunt it archery season to boot if you so choose to  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 01:55:50 PM »
You gotta really like archery to burn 6pts on a Wyoming elk tag :chuckle: you can get an amazing rifle elk hunt with 6 points and still hunt it archery season to boot if you so choose to  :twocents:

I would go rifle for sure if the seasons lined out. By mid October I am ramping up and getting super busy with work so an extended time away then is tough.  :bash:

Offline longrange7mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 07:28:40 AM »
You're right by taking the archery hunt over the rifle hunt IMO. I agree with everything doublelung has said about the area. The elk have actually started leaving the high country as soon as august and making a B line to Flitners private ground according to the recently retired warden and our discussion last year at the local seasons meeting. Still lots of pressure after the 15th due to rifle hunters being able to archery hunt then. with any luck they will stick to there guns and stop allowing that this year. There is still lots of good opportunity just get away from the roads most locals are pretty lazy and wont go in past a few miles.  :tup:
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 08:25:07 AM »
You're right by taking the archery hunt over the rifle hunt IMO. I agree with everything doublelung has said about the area. The elk have actually started leaving the high country as soon as august and making a B line to Flitners private ground according to the recently retired warden and our discussion last year at the local seasons meeting. Still lots of pressure after the 15th due to rifle hunters being able to archery hunt then. with any luck they will stick to there guns and stop allowing that this year. There is still lots of good opportunity just get away from the roads most locals are pretty lazy and wont go in past a few miles.  :tup:

That is a good point about the 15th that I didn't think about. We were thinking about going around the 5th-15th or so if we draw.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw