collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Waterfowl kayak speed/range  (Read 2036 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Waterfowl kayak speed/range
« on: May 25, 2019, 06:14:43 PM »
So I am hoping to get some first hand experience and opinions when it comes to using waterfowl specific kayak style boats. I have been looking a lot at the Beavertail stealth 1200. I want plenty of stability and ability to pack some extra weight compared to the run of the mill kayak.
My only question is what is it realistically like to row longer distances or deal with current? I don't really want to have the extra weight of a motor and battery. A spot off two I hunt it's less than 1/4 mile at farthest to hunt. But into have a spot or two that is more like a mile or a little more. Is it reasonable to row one of these that far?
Thank ya!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Waterfowl kayak speed/range
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 06:42:24 PM »
Join the Washington Waterfowlers Association  for a chance to win a boat u could  put a motor on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 07:11:27 PM »
So I am hoping to get some first hand experience and opinions when it comes to using waterfowl specific kayak style boats. I have been looking a lot at the Beavertail stealth 1200. I want plenty of stability and ability to pack some extra weight compared to the run of the mill kayak.
My only question is what is it realistically like to row longer distances or deal with current? I don't really want to have the extra weight of a motor and battery. A spot off two I hunt it's less than 1/4 mile at farthest to hunt. But into have a spot or two that is more like a mile or a little more. Is it reasonable to row one of these that far?
Thank ya!

What kind of current?

Lakes or salt?

I have two H12 Asends. We use for hunting and lake fishing.  Great for inland waters. I wouldn’t use in salt unless it was glass smooth.
Asends have 450 lb capacity. Duck hunting I store 24 dekes forward and my hunting gear rearward.
Paddling up current,depends on weight of yak, your strength ,speed of current,wind, and your stamina.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 07:18:46 PM by ghosthunter »
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:52:16 PM »
No salt for me. Mostly lake. The current I am talking about is the lower Columbia around Longview. No main channel. But backwaters/side channels, etc.

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 10:58:42 AM »
I have a Asend FS 12 and my buddy has a H12 with camo cover., both work excellent.  He had a beavertail,  but sold it and bought the H12. He is very happy with his decision.  The H12 is lighter weight, and maneuvers better. We each carry about 2-4 dozen deeks and a few goose decoys, the amount of deeks all depends on goose decoys we bring, as well as gear. I normally toss my decoy bag in the back of my FS12 with about 2 dozen deeks.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 11:46:48 AM »
I think there is a lot of worry about camo that is unnecessary.

I was thinking of the blind, but a little shadow grass front and back and a mat over ya maybe and you can kill ducks. Hiding I. The reeds lot easier with the yak.

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 02:22:17 PM »
Another option if range and speed is a goal, is pedal powered.  They're more expensive than a traditional kayak, but make the longer traverses a bit easier (and faster).  My wife got me the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 for my birthday last year.  Works well for duck hunting and fishing.  I carry my decoys in the back storage area, and my shotgun fits perfectly in the side rod holders inside (no need to buy the aftermarket gun holder accessory).   I bought a cheap camo cover on Amazon that fits the boat for extra camo when needed.  I typically park it in the reeds, and have the small anchor to hold it in place.

The skeg and two rear hulls give nice stability.  The downside of that stability is the weight....too heavy for most roof racks nor would I want to attempt to lift one up there solo.  I put mine in the bed of my truck with a bed extender (similar to ghosthunter's photo above).  Will upgrade to a trailer one of these days.  If I were going to put it in the Sound or other saltwater, I'd want to add the SideKick outrigger attachment.   Otherwise it's been fine in the upper Columbia and large lakes.

The light shaft accessory is handy for when crossing a big lake in the dark so boaters know where you are.  Although I need to upgrade my forward lights to be more powerful for those early morning dark paddles. 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:51:20 PM by kselkhunter »

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 08:19:13 PM »
Another option if range and speed is a goal, is pedal powered.  They're more expensive than a traditional kayak, but make the longer traverses a bit easier (and faster).  My wife got me the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 for my birthday last year.  Works well for duck hunting and fishing.  I carry my decoys in the back storage area, and my shotgun fits perfectly in the side rod holders inside (no need to buy the aftermarket gun holder accessory).   I bought a cheap camo cover on Amazon that fits the boat for extra camo when needed.  I typically park it in the reeds, and have the small anchor to hold it in place.

The skeg and two rear hulls give nice stability.  The downside of that stability is the weight....too heavy for most roof racks nor would I want to attempt to lift one up there solo.  I put mine in the bed of my truck with a bed extender (similar to ghosthunter's photo above).  Will upgrade to a trailer one of these days.  If I were going to put it in the Sound or other saltwater, I'd want to add the SideKick outrigger attachment.   Otherwise it's been fine in the upper Columbia and large lakes.

The light shaft accessory is handy for when crossing a big lake in the dark so boaters know where you are.  Although I need to upgrade my forward lights to be more powerful for those early morning dark paddles.

I use the bed extenderwhen taking on yak. When I take two I use a trailer.

Online Call em in

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 08:44:14 PM »
I would highly recommend an Aquapod. I’ve tried several makes and models of duck boat/kayaks. The pod paddle and track the nicest, haul tons of gear, able to portage solo, hide the best, etc. they are extremely stable, I can stand up in mine and bow shoot carp or catch fish with no problems.  There are cheaper boats out there but these are the best all around IMO

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 09:12:35 PM »
I use a fishing specific kayak, Ocean Kayak Prowler 13. I rattled canned it and I can haul 2 doz deeks hang my legs off either side or side saddle. I paddle it two miles in the salt each way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10