collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: B.C. predator cull would target 80 per cent of wolves in caribou recovery  (Read 1491 times)

Offline horsefeathers

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
B.C. predator cull would target 80 per cent of wolves in caribou recovery areas

Thirty-day consultation with Indigenous communities and "targeted stakeholders" already underway, according to memo from B.C. Caribou Recovery Program
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-predator-cull-would-target-80-per-cent-of-wolves-in-caribou-recovery-areas
September 12, 2019

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:43:59 PM by horsefeathers »

Offline Windwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
B.C. predator cull would target 80 per cent of wolves in caribou recovery areas

Thirty-day consultation with Indigenous communities and "targeted stakeholders" already underway, according to memo from B.C. Caribou Recovery Program
https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-predator-cull-would-target-80-per-cent-of-wolves-in-caribou-recovery-areas
September 12, 2019

Trying to find out more info about the wolf culling operation they conducted in Alberta. Main thrust of the culling was to save the caribou herds - reality is the wolves were thick as fleas and needed culling.

More info- http://www.wolfmatters.org/wolf-culls--alberta-caribou.html

Just returned from a moose hunt up there. (Yes, son got one)

Outfitter and my wife (I was logged in on her computer before) were in on a conversation with bystanders at one of the pickup points when we were out hunting and talked with one of the officers.

Was told they culled 400 wolves out of Alberta this year.
Has to be some good info from the research and may help bolster a stance against having them here. Still decompressing and unpacking but will see if I can find more out at some point.

We saw a few on the way up but nothing like the previous trip a few years ago. Now it seems the place is being taken over by black bears.
Was told the grizzly's will make short work of em at some point.
Focus was on moose. Only had one opportunity to pot a black bear. Too fast. Several were seen and a crazy amount of bear sign.

When buying a wolf tag up there- its actually a coyote tag - $25 all you can shoot. Wolves or coyotes.
To the locals every dead one is cause for celebration. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:53:34 PM by Windwalker »
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Alberta has a lot of wolves.  Unfortunately I missed one at 600 yards this year.   :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:   We saw two that day.   After the hunt was over, I was very happy I missed......My taxidermy bill would have exceeded the cost of the hunt and I would have had a year of sleeping in the dog house.   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Windwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Alberta has a lot of wolves.  Unfortunately I missed one at 600 yards this year.   :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:   We saw two that day.   After the hunt was over, I was very happy I missed......My taxidermy bill would have exceeded the cost of the hunt and I would have had a year of sleeping in the dog house.   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Did you notice a difference in the population this year?
Everyone we talked to was amazed at the amount of black bears compared to previous years.

And yea, made that mistake last time. Got talked into keeping it, by the time it was all paid for wished I‘d ran it through a shredder.
Not up on the particulars, think if I’d chopped it into mitten patterns and claimed it was a “garment” - rather than one of Washington’s, on-deaths-doorstep-endangered-species, it wouldn’t have been an issue.
I’ll give them away next time rather than pay out the nose to bring an over sized coyote back.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:50:25 PM by Windwalker »
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Last year we didn’t see or here them. This year we had multiple packs in our area.  On pack on trail cam had 7 wolves. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]