collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: School me on camo  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
School me on camo
« on: July 02, 2020, 09:01:34 AM »
Looking to update my gear

I have the typical soft camo jacket/pants in good ol mossy oak that ya get from cabelas or whatever, scent blocker bibs (best thrift shop score ever), and mix matched thisses and thats, and of course my dads old military surplus goretex woodland camo jacket and pants and grundens gage kryptic camo bibs and jacket but nothing that does any particular job well. In one way or another i always get back to camp wet it seems.

Im going to stick with westside archery this year for deer and i have a hunch its gonna be a wet one. Im planning on hunting the san juan islands using my sailboat as a base camp to avoid all the truck hunters, but i am looking for a good set of all weather pants/bib and jacket thats not super thick so i dont sweat my balls off, but something tough enough that its not going to fall apart, will keep the rain in check, and that also doubles as just simply a good quality layer for when not hunting ie mushroom picking, fishing, backpacking.... The thing is that the one set of camo rain gear i have might as well be made out of potato chip bags, its sooo noisy.

As far as boots ive yet to find a better pair than xtra tuffs with insoles and bama socks (a gift from god)

My first thought is just to run out and buy Sitka because that looks the coolest but I know there has to be other options

Offline JL

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, CCRKBA, RMEF
Re: School me on camo
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 05:37:06 PM »
The Sitka Thunderhead series is discontinued, I believe, but it's a great line as far as I'm concerned. Probably some deals out there. It's a simple, very light shell, that is actually quiet in the woods compared to a lot of other gore-tex stuff. You can run it year round, pretty much. Have lived in this suit for many week long hunts and it's stood up/still running strong. Just be sure to run gaiters w/ it. I'm pretty much done w/ the cool guy clothes and prefer wool or surplus but this is great gear for extended hunts in non-stop precipitation.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »
Ok now we are getting somewhere....

Cabelas wooltimate is one option im looking at but it is a wool blend.

I actually have a pair of pure wool pants in OD green i scores at a yard sale... Might be unused ww2 surplus.... No tags or anything but most likely military issue.

Cool guy gear does nothing for me beyond a potential warranty. I am humble and cheap, however will pay a premium for the "right" gear, meaning the stuff that lets you return to camp wet cold and miserable or even dry and freezing versus soaked and hypothermic....

Cool is cool....but, its just that...cool.... Function over form divided by simplicity is my formula for life....

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 09:46:56 PM »
Cabelas Wooltimate fleece is awesome, but it’s super ultra really really warm.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 09:49:46 PM »
Youll have a lot more options for good wool clothing if you arent insistent about it being camo.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 11:13:15 PM »
"Im going to stick with westside archery this year for deer and i have a hunch its gonna be a wet one. Im planning on hunting the san juan islands using my sailboat as a base camp to avoid all the truck hunters, but i am looking for a good set of all weather pants/bib and jacket"

That sounds like a blast.  I am a big fan of surplus gear.  Sportsmans Guide has a good deal on Flecktarn bibs, which is a good pattern for NW forests.  I am having trouble finding the jacket, although I don't think matching matters.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 05:42:48 AM »
You can get sitka typical 25-40% off if you shop around...it sucks looking so cool tho..the new trend is anti trendy so pending how anti trendy and cool you are you might just end up back at being normal cool and buying sitka  :dunno:  :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 05:52:26 PM »
As long as it’s a mix of solid and not solid colors.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »
As far as quality of gear from hunting clothing brands, Sitka takes the cake. That said, my clothes are a mishmash of Sitka, First Lite and hippy clothes from REI, Costco, Kuhl, Prana etc
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 10:17:02 PM »
Sitka on camo fire right now...

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 10:30:44 PM »
I would get some gore tex but don't spend that much on it.

That way you won't care if it gets ripped in the woods.

Get light gore tex and then layer if it is cold.

Also don't assume that because a camo pattern is expensive then it must be the best for the area where you are hunting. I've seen $20 camo hide someone better than $200 camo. There is no such thing as a do-all pattern.

Offline Maybach Outdoors

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 08:56:08 AM »
Looking to update my gear

I have the typical soft camo jacket/pants in good ol mossy oak that ya get from cabelas or whatever, scent blocker bibs (best thrift shop score ever), and mix matched thisses and thats, and of course my dads old military surplus goretex woodland camo jacket and pants and grundens gage kryptic camo bibs and jacket but nothing that does any particular job well. In one way or another i always get back to camp wet it seems.

Im going to stick with westside archery this year for deer and i have a hunch its gonna be a wet one. Im planning on hunting the san juan islands using my sailboat as a base camp to avoid all the truck hunters, but i am looking for a good set of all weather pants/bib and jacket thats not super thick so i dont sweat my balls off, but something tough enough that its not going to fall apart, will keep the rain in check, and that also doubles as just simply a good quality layer for when not hunting ie mushroom picking, fishing, backpacking.... The thing is that the one set of camo rain gear i have might as well be made out of potato chip bags, its sooo noisy.

As far as boots ive yet to find a better pair than xtra tuffs with insoles and bama socks (a gift from god)

My first thought is just to run out and buy Sitka because that looks the coolest but I know there has to be other options

Look into Kuiu for some gear. Super expensive stuff but they have 3 different camo packages... maybe something you like. For the rain gear aspect... I have their kutana jacket and pants and man o man is it tough and light weight.

Food for thought: in terms of patterns and quality I think sitka, kuiu, and firstlite all ring a bell... However, I'm a little skeptical if these are the best options just because they have a ton of money so they are able to make racey videos about their technologies and so on... maybe their advertisements have simply biased my experience. I would check out other brands and not be hesitant to mix and match... I have some kuhl pants that outperform kuiu pants I've bought for the same function.

Hope this helps,
M

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »
I have a hard time paying Sitka prices on a product made in Vietnam. Gamehide products are way less expensive and do the same thing. That said the only time I really camo up is waterfowl hunting. I have 3 sets of the Gamehide insulated bibs that are totally water proof and wind proof and I don't think I gave more than $50.00 for any of them. Same goes for their rain jackets.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]