collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: San Juan Islands Blacktail -- New hunter looking for advice  (Read 277 times)

Offline levihoward17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
San Juan Islands Blacktail -- New hunter looking for advice
« on: January 20, 2021, 06:43:36 PM »
Hello all, I am an 18 year old just trying to get into deer hunting. I have shot a few deer in Virginia where part of my family lives however I am yet to cut my teeth in Washington. I feel a little guilty about asking for help on my first post but I have to start somewhere. My family often sails over to the San Juans during the summer months and I couldn't help but notice the seemingly large population of deer.

Upon doing some basic research I see that the a large part of the challenge is finding a place to hunt. I see that there is some public access here and there including Lopez Hill and the majority of Cypress. I am have also read through some older forum posts regarding the San Juans and I see that there is possibly a WDFW program allowing hunters to gain some access. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no experience with where the deer are and how they behave outside of the months of July and August. I would love to start to process of reaching out for land access however I feel like I need to get a better understanding of where these deer are throughout the season. Living on the mainland somewhat hinders my ability to spend a lot of time scouting. I am wondering if anyone has any experience hunting these areas or would be willing to share any additional advice or information.

If there is anyone interested in letting me tag along on any of their hunts I would be thrilled. My main goal is to really just learn as much as I can. I honestly am not even interested in shooting anything this season, rather my focus is just to gain some knowledge. Unfortunately my time to hunt is constrained by school. I am a full-time student at UW so my hunting time is restricted to weekends or before the 20th of September.

Again I feel a little bit guilty asking people to share their hard earned knowledge. I am in no way asking you to send me to coordinates to your secret spot, just simply a push in the right direction. I think that part of the fun is figuring it out on your own, and I hope those of you reading this will help me along the way.

Offline overthefalls

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: San Juan Islands Blacktail -- New hunter looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 07:30:29 PM »
I have yet to hunt the San Juan, but will be doing so next season. Cypress has access, send me a PM and we can exchange info.

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: San Juan Islands Blacktail -- New hunter looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 07:41:32 PM »
Cypress is easy access, which equals a lot of hunters, but it has Deer on it. I have hunted it several times, but have not taken home a Deer. Found lots of sign and one little pygmy goat Deer that had baby carrots for horns sticking off it's head and that is it! IF you have time scout the island and see what is there. Best of luck it is a fun hunt!
IAFF #3728

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Through the Ice by Jingles
[Today at 08:54:47 AM]

Shipping ammo? by BULLBLASTER
[Today at 08:50:23 AM]

WTB: 7mm Rem Mag reloading supplies by mossback91
[Today at 08:48:26 AM]

Trade/Co-op reloading stuff by mossback91
[Today at 08:47:04 AM]

WTS T/C Contender Carbine by marcusp323