collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Water source question  (Read 13867 times)

Offline HikerHunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
Re: Water source question
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2021, 06:36:18 AM »
I would fill up at the last water source I’m confident in and only take about 2 days. A lot can happen in a couple days: fill a tag early, find a surprise water source, not find any game, etc.

Offline Hillbilly Zen

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 10:36:56 AM »
Why not just hunt the water?  Legit asking.  Sounds like You know where it is, and how the animals get to it.  Is it heavy pressure down there and nocturnal drinking?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Water source question
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2021, 10:46:48 AM »
I would either hunt closer to the available water or find a different place to hunt. I wouldn’t carry that much water in. If you really want to hunt there, suck it up and make the water trek every other day or so. I drink a lot of water. No way I’d be interested in going short/without or carrying it all in with me. I’d probably figure out a different place to hunt personally, especially having never scouted it. I’d definitely make a trip in there to see what you’re dealing with before going in. Are the deer really going to be on top if there’s zero water? Getting on top and literally staying on top will be a huge challenge either way.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline treeclimber2852

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2021, 11:17:38 AM »
If you’re on top, find a drainage on the north facing slope and start working your way down it.  You’ll find water before you hit it where it’s marked on the maps, even if it’s just a trickle or puddle.  Take a zip lock sandwich bag- it makes dipping water out of small puddles a lot easier - and be prepared to filter/treat it.  You’ll likely be drinking the stanky stagnant stuff…otherwise, yeah, you’re hiking down and back up a lot longer for the cool clear stuff. 

Offline Ifinch36

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 05:44:47 PM »
We don't want to hunt the water because it's at the bottom on each side, and would really limit what we would be able to see. We're looking at this as a "high risk, high reward" hunt. There's no trails in and I don't think there will be much, if any pressure. We're ok with it being a total bust, but we won't know unless we try. The springs are on the north side slope, and there's definitely water, maybe just need to dig a bit.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2021, 06:41:22 PM »
Funny, I use to carry a 1 quart canteen. I could make that last all day. Then I bought a 72 oz bladder, and now I drink the whole friggen thing.
For some reason sucking out of a straw, does not satisfy or quench my thirst like drinking out of a canteen use to. There have been times I will top off my bladder at mid day. I still suck most of it down.

There is no way I would hit the back country without a decent water supply.

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2021, 06:57:44 PM »
We’ll post your adventure when done, successful, or bust a story is good no matter what happens.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Ifinch36

• Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2021, 10:12:39 AM »
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I'll definitely let you guys know how this turns out.

Offline Hillbilly Zen

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 10:32:07 AM »
We don't want to hunt the water because it's at the bottom on each side, and would really limit what we would be able to see. We're looking at this as a "high risk, high reward" hunt. There's no trails in and I don't think there will be much, if any pressure. We're ok with it being a total bust, but we won't know unless we try. The springs are on the north side slope, and there's definitely water, maybe just need to dig a bit.
If you think you’ve found a no trail area with no pressure in Washington state modern rifle season, wanting to hunt it makes sense to me.  Hopefully you dont wake up opening day on a ridge full of headlamps!  Not many unknown hilltops in this state on that ten days in Fall, so if yours turns out to be one of them take it to your grave!  Best of luck to you, and bring down a monster!  Maybe it will snow, and all your water problems will be solved by a couple cans of stove fuel.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2021, 11:34:44 AM »
Check your pack, start dropping gear and replace with water.  Every 4 lbs adds a day.  Me max is 38# pack plus 12# water = 3 days = 50# ( but if long pack in you might burn a day up and back leaving one day there )

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2021, 12:33:34 PM »
Hike in early to scout and stash water where you're going to hunt.  2 scouting trips you'll have all the water you need.  Just pack the bottles out.  Easy enough even to scrunch them down when you pack out. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2021, 03:39:19 PM »
I just did a 2500' elevation gain ruck and can say it would have to be awfully good hunting for me to make another trip for water after the first load ran out.

I agree, lower pack weight to a minimum, take as much as you safely can and call it a day when you run out.  Go slow, hike when it's cool and conserve as much as you can.  Then, when your buddies are napping, chug some of their water.

Offline Ifinch36

• Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2021, 05:16:44 PM »
We're really trying to get away from people, and I honestly think we may be able to. We're hoping that that anybody else that look at this spot, looks at it and says "you're crazy". Unfortunately we won't know until we do it. Luckily two guys in our groups scheduled opened up together and it looks like we'll be able to get some water packed in, so that kinda solved our problem. Again, thanks for all the input, and I'll do a post after the hunt.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2021, 05:33:47 PM »
If there's a whopper behind every bush, PM me and I'll bring up some water. :chuckle:

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2021, 05:42:45 PM »
I've been in hunts with little water and never sweated it. If a guy gets thirsty enough, he'll drop the elevation to get water. Luckily, I don't require much water daily unless it's super hot. With meals like Peak Refuel requiring 5-8 oz each, it really helps on hunts like you're talking about. Sounds like you guys will be needing quite a bit of water, so I'd pack in heavy and if you need more mid trip, daisy chain down to the bottom with everybody and shuttle a big load back up once. :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]