collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alpine lakes-got any advice on how to catch  (Read 1678 times)

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
Re: Alpine lakes-got any advice on how to catch
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 09:04:40 AM »
We hit a small alpine lake weekend before last and threw almost everything mentioned above and couldn't hook a fish to save my life.. watched them move out of the way anytime a lure was cast and tried several flies on the bobber with no results..  pretty frustrating on the fishing ends but the scenery is worth it!

I would say it gets moderate attention... the lake is on the maps but there isn't a maintained FS trail to it.  I have never had a problem catching fish in a high lake before it was a little bit of a surprise

Curious if this lake gets lots of attention?

I’ve only been to one alpine piece of water that the fish wouldn’t bite, a small stream in a box canyon that I was fishing the side pools.

Other than that I always catch fish in them, I bit do fish the harder ones to get to.😉

Rainier Arms Shooting Team
Rainier Arms, Fortis Manufacturing, Timney Triggers
Vortex Optics, Viking Tactics, Sporting Systems Vancouver

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2021, 09:32:56 AM »
Here ya go. Use as long a leader as possible, tie two very small flies on, fill water bubble about half full, cast it a mile with this rig, “pop/jerk” your line back right before the torpedo bubble hits the water. This pop/jerk back makes the bubble come back towards you and makes the leader/flies land nicely on the other side of the water bubble. Let it sit a minute and ever so slowly, retrieve. Feel for the “tug” and it’ll be fish on!  Works like a charm. Yes, ultra gear is the best choice.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/rainbow-plastics-a-just-a-bubble-float
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Online Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2021, 09:43:31 AM »
Here ya go. Use as long a leader as possible, tie two very small flies on, fill water bubble about half full, cast it a mile with this rig, “pop/jerk” your line back right before the torpedo bubble hits the water. This pop/jerk back makes the bubble come back towards you and makes the leader/flies land nicely on the other side of the water bubble. Let it sit a minute and ever so slowly, retrieve. Feel for the “tug” and it’ll be fish on!  Works like a charm. Yes, ultra gear is the best choice.

Perfect description of how to do it.......I make my leader at least 4' long.
molṑn labé

Offline Bullkllr

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2021, 10:32:14 AM »
I don't know if it's standard, but I have had success at times filling the bubble fully so it sinks for deeper fly presentations. They seem to sink slowly, and I don't know how deep, but they will sink for fishing buggers, leeches, nymphs, etc.
"WE THE PEOPLE..."

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2021, 11:35:55 AM »
Had luck doing same with worms if bait allowed.  Not over 4# test,   Hook  4 to 5 ft below bobber.  Any weight should be on or at small bobber.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal