collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to coyote hunting questions!  (Read 2533 times)

Offline alove12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Proverbs 12:27
New to coyote hunting questions!
« on: July 27, 2021, 08:27:27 AM »
Hey all,

So, I did some calling for coyotes last weekend using one of the Icotech electronic calls (ordered it on Amazon), and I basically only had success getting coyotes to come in when using the "pup in distress" call. The call has several other options for animals in distress and other coyote noises (yip, howl, etc.). Which calls have been successful for central/Eastern Washington coyotes in your experience?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
Re: New to coyote hunting questions!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 08:43:04 AM »
Hey all,

So, I did some calling for coyotes last weekend using one of the Icotech electronic calls (ordered it on Amazon), and I basically only had success getting coyotes to come in when using the "pup in distress" call. The call has several other options for animals in distress and other coyote noises (yip, howl, etc.). Which calls have been successful for central/Eastern Washington coyotes in your experience?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Have you tried using the Goat sound on that call?  :chuckle:

Offline alove12

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »
My friend used it to frighten a curious cow, but it did not seem to be effective for bringing in yodel dogs.

Offline Dysfunctional Vet

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 12:42:01 PM »
I’m no expert, but pup in distress is working because the Yotes have pups right now. The time of year dictates the best sounds.
The VA
   Giving veterans a second chance to die for their country since 1930.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 12:48:25 PM »
Other than this time of year (when coyotes have pups) jack rabbit or cottontail in distress are your go to calls that work time and time again!!!

Just remember, it don’t matter what sound you project. You have to have a coyote in range that is willing to play. 

And always always no matter what get the wind in your face and conceal yourself. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 01:42:44 PM »
So basically you're saying that if there is a coyote in the area, any distress call should work?

Is there a general pattern of calling you should follow? Like 10 minutes of calling and then 10 minutes of silence before you get up and go into the next draw?

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 02:01:39 PM »
I'm no expert, I dabbled in it last fall/winter but I found they came into cotton tail in distress and one that spooked I got to come back in when I switched to pup sounds. I've basically passed along all of my.coyote calling experience now so take from it what you will. Good luck!

Offline ThomMedic

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: evergreen sportsmen club, little rock, wa
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 09:33:17 PM »
I have been in places where we played a random coyote sounds, got an immediate answer. Then nothing more with any kind of call for the rest of the hunt.

One night near Capitol Forest, we were sitting in some high grass on someone's property that was heavily infested. My buddy sequenced about 4 or 5 sounds with nothing heard or seen. The last one played was not a distress call but it set off about 5 or 6 animals and they were all around us under 50 yards in the black berry bushes and grass. I guess it is just learning to read the land and time of day.

Offline alove12

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll have to give the cottontail in distress a try when I go out next time. I'm lucky enough to have a couple state land spots that have a ton of coyotes around, so it will make for some good opportunities to practice. The other night, I had a coyote lay down and look for about 15 minutes while I used the fawn in distress call, but he didn't show any sign of wanting to come in. I'm definitely interested to spend some more time in the field and learn their behavior a little better!

Offline tallcooljuan

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 01:45:20 PM »
If you're having any success at all you're well on your way.  There are so many ways of doing it that it comes down to what style of calling you enjoy and sticking with what is working.  It's a numbers game.  Biggest mistake:  Calling too loudly.  Never turn up an electronic caller louder than what you are on a medium range mouth call.  If your woodsmanship is correct you are close to coyotes that will spook if you call too loud.  Louder won't bring the far ones in.  Second biggest mistake:  Falling for sales gimmicks that promise to be the secret weapon.  Again, like others on this have said, you can't cover for poor woodsmanship with a widget.  Any electronic caller using any sound and used properly is very hard to beat.  I have more fun with three mouth calls on a lanyard, a rifle sighted in for 100yds, walking around a low traffic area where I can see at least 200yds downwind.  Most of all, have fun!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]