collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Walleye are invasives  (Read 9884 times)

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
Re: Walleye are invasives
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2022, 02:46:01 PM »
We're fighting over the table scraps of mismanagement and overdevelopment if you think pulling a few bass or walleye out of the system will lead to better salmon runs.  If the real problems aren't addressed we're just killing more recreation opportunities.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2022, 02:52:21 PM »
We're fighting over the table scraps of mismanagement and overdevelopment if you think pulling a few bass or walleye out of the system will lead to better salmon runs.  If the real problems aren't addressed we're just killing more recreation opportunities.
Truth
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 02:54:00 PM »

Lotta truth right there.

Luckily, walleye, bass and catfish seem pretty resilient. I hate to say it, but those species may be  what anglers depend on more than ever in the future.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline MeepDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 03:03:18 PM »
Releasing big breeding size female walleyes sure aint helping salmon. It's a multifaceted problem with a whole lot of forces at play but if every bass or walleye caught didn't end up back in the water it would have an impact. Those warm water fish have to eat to get as big as they are getting and they aren't going to pass up a smolt.

Offline WALLEYEGUY

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 03:09:39 PM »
We have had one of the greatest walleye fisheries in North America with lake Roosevelt and one of the greatest trophy walleye fishery in the lower Columbia.  I am a big walleye proponent and hope with all my heart that my grandchildren get to enjoy what I have had. The current management is appalling to me. Will there ever be salmon above Grand Coulee I have no idea, but you do not have to try to kill every walleye in Roosevelt till it is a possibility. All I can say is  :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :twocents:

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 03:10:30 PM »
I would like to throw a separate daily bag limit on mergansers apart from other waterfowl into the argument as well. Oh, and a push for controlled hunting of cormorants. That is all. Carry on...
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline MeepDog

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2022, 03:20:54 PM »
I would like to throw a separate daily bag limit on mergansers apart from other waterfowl into the argument as well. Oh, and a push for controlled hunting of cormorants. That is all. Carry on...
Now you're speaking my language! Don't forget special draw tags for sea lions by the dams.

Offline MeepDog

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2022, 03:30:08 PM »
We have had one of the greatest walleye fisheries in North America with lake Roosevelt and one of the greatest trophy walleye fishery in the lower Columbia.

It really is one of the greatest walleye fisheries in the world, but no matter how big they get or how many there are they still don't belong in the river. My father took me out walleye fishing just like you will take your kids out. There's resources in this world that are under threat from over harvest and in this river walleye is not one of them. Under harvest is more like it. 10,000 years ago there wasn't walleye in this river.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 03:31:32 PM »
Now you're speaking my language! Don't forget special draw tags for sea lions by the dams.

Commissioner Regan says "HI"  :hello:

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 03:34:20 PM »
We've sacrificed the most heavily used duck hunting spot on the Westside (Skagit Island Unit) for salmon habitat restoration along with lots of other proposals being thrown around that completely change the way many of us recreate.  I can't imagine driving 4 hrs to Banks lake just to fish whitefish!  I think these drastic changes would be easier to swallow if the city dwellers were forced to sacrifice something for this cause besides plastic straws.  We keep on developing.  The cities grow.  Car tires keep rolling despite evidence that they are contributing to dwindling salmon size.  I notice in every major rain storm, the treatment plants overflow millions of gallons of untreated sewage into the sound.  Where's the outrage? No one is jumping to kick the homeless out of critical salmon habitat on the Duwamish.  We sports enthusiasts have to make big sacrifices that result in a drop in the bucket or nothing.  Lets share the burden or be realistic about what's causing the problem.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 03:40:19 PM by Chesterdog »

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2022, 03:40:25 PM »
We've sacrificed the most heavily used duck hunting spot on the Westside (Skagit Island Unit) for salmon habitat restoration along with lots of other proposals being thrown around that completely change the way many of us recreate.  I can't imagine driving 4 hrs to Banks lake just to fish whitefish!  I think these drastic changes would be easier to swallow if the city dwellers were forced to sacrifice something for this cause.  We keep on developing.  The cities grow.  Car tires keep rolling despite evidence that they are contributing to dwindling salmon size.  I notice in every major rain storm, the treatment plants overflow millions of gallons of untreated sewage into the sound.  Where's the outrage? No one is jumping to kick the homeless out of critical salmon habitat on the Duwamish.  We sports enthusiasts have to make big sacrifices that result in a drop in the bucket or nothing.  Lets share the burden or be realistic about what's causing the problem.

Yes! Especially considering the recent emphasis from some groups and even the Commission that "wildlife belongs to everybody". It is true, so we should share the responsibility and we should all shoulder more of the impacts when populations tank.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2022, 03:43:23 PM »
Just wait til the pike get here.
Amen brother. Yer gonna be begging on your knees for SMB and walleye!!!

I doubt any of you actually know what yer talking about anyway. Good luck.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2022, 04:11:57 PM »
We have had one of the greatest walleye fisheries in North America with lake Roosevelt and one of the greatest trophy walleye fishery in the lower Columbia.  I am a big walleye proponent and hope with all my heart that my grandchildren get to enjoy what I have had. The current management is appalling to me. Will there ever be salmon above Grand Coulee I have no idea, but you do not have to try to kill every walleye in Roosevelt till it is a possibility. All I can say is  :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :twocents:

Even with the 16 fish bag limit at Roosevelt, anglers barely put a dent in the Walleye population each year.  Love fishing for Walleye on that lake.  They are fun to fight on the line, fairly easy to catch, and great table fare. 

Now that there are Northern Pike in the lake, I'm sure they are doing way more damage than any of the Walleye and SMB.

Gary   
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2022, 04:23:17 PM »
We have had one of the greatest walleye fisheries in North America with lake Roosevelt and one of the greatest trophy walleye fishery in the lower Columbia.

It really is one of the greatest walleye fisheries in the world, but no matter how big they get or how many there are they still don't belong in the river. My father took me out walleye fishing just like you will take your kids out. There's resources in this world that are under threat from over harvest and in this river walleye is not one of them. Under harvest is more like it. 10,000 years ago there wasn't walleye in this river.

Not too long before that, in the grand scheme of things,  salmon where few and far between in the lower sections of the river and non existant in areas like where Roosevelt is today.  I will stop short of calling salmon invasive - maybe.  Probably no more invasive than Northern pike.

If the warm water fish are the problem, why are systems that have no influence by those species still on the same rate of decline?  And why would you target "native species" with a bounty?  Native being a relative term based primarily on time. 

Finally, why are there thriving "non native" salmon and stealhead populations in The Great Lakes and their tributaries?  Systems with far more warm water predatory species than you will ever see here.

May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2022, 04:50:20 PM »
Everyone is talking walleye but have not seen Bull trout mentioned as detrimental on the trout and salmon. Maybe folks need to quit looking at the forest and start seeing the trees
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10