collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tips for Turkey Success  (Read 4684 times)

Offline FreezerFiller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Ethan Grice
Tips for Turkey Success
« on: April 20, 2022, 02:27:28 PM »
Just finished up my second day of hunting turkey for the first time in my life, safe to say I am frustratingly hooked for life. Nothing can compare to hearing that gobble cut through the trees. Unfortunately, I came up empty-handed aside from a lot of new knowledge of exactly how incredible wild turkeys are. While I was in the field I found I had a decent deal of success in getting gobblers to respond to my calls, my only trouble was getting any to close the distance.  :bash:

I have watched a few videos on when to call and when not to call, but is there any specific order of call types, volume, pitch, or really any tips anyone out there has for me on getting those stubborn Tom's in close? Even if it isn't related to calling, I would love some tips and any lessons learned yall have had hunting turkey.

Thanks yall!  8)

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Tips for Turkey Success
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 05:19:28 PM »
Lot of info out there, but I would highly recommend watching Dale Outdoors on you tube. He covers all kinds of situations and isn't trying to sale you anything or make up videos of canned hunts. He just gives good advice and over the years I've found most of it to be very accurate.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 03:12:43 AM »
Your calling depends on the situation also what point of the season you are in.   My find right now is we are about 3 weeks early.   It is tough hunting unless you know where the roost is.   I think may is going to be the best time to hunt this year.  Don't go back and forth with a tom.  Call a couple times and if that room seems to be closing the distance play hard to get don't call.  Good thing to remember in nature toms do not come to hens hens come to toms.  That is why they strut and show off.   Your just trying to peak his interest  into some sweet loving.  If he is with hens try and listen to that vocal hen.   She is most likely the boss hen and you can try and piss her off.   That can pull in the flock and the toms will follow.   Also a good thing to remember is that toms normally follow hens.   Jakes will be all over the place but older toms are usually behind.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 04:58:49 AM »
I agree with Russ .......
Will say sometimes the situation comes into play.
If that Tom already has a bunch of hens ,he isn't coming in to you.

If it gobbles ,you have a location,if the area is open enough start working your way there slow. See if you can get a look at him or some hens.
Depending on terrain ,you may be able to put a stalk on.
Example would be like a ridge ,try to work around or up the back side ,road just below or just above you can use the bank of road to slip in.
I've seen toms killed that only gobbled twice,but a hunter was able to slip into the herd ,by means of terrain,stalk,decoy,and continue light cluck call.

I agree with Russ ,that as the season goes on more hens will nest up,leaving toms to active search for hens ,and for that few weeks Tom will close the distance in a hurry.
Tom's that have a whole herd of hens right now are gonna stay with that herd. Sometimes you might get lucky and a herd has multiple toms and Jake's that will gobble and they kinda get each other worked up enough to come to a call.

Other than that keep trying,if you got one gobble ,that's half the battle. Sometimes it may take awhile to get it to come to a call. If it's active respond to your call with a gobble it's interested. If you only get two gobble in 30 min and it's not responding every time you call ,that may be one to consider some kind of stalk or try to get an eyeball on it. So you have a confirmed location,which way they may be headed,all that.
You may be able to close the distance or cut them off somewhere to get a shot.
Not every turkey killed ,is what you see on hunting shows and YouTube.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2022, 06:58:31 AM »
if someone else is working a bird in front of you or you see a car parked and working a bird there, DONT be that guy to wreck someones setup !
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 07:25:07 AM »
if someone else is working a bird in front of you or you see a car parked and working a bird there, DONT be that guy to wreck someones setup !
Agreed i went pass alot of places that had people on it.

Russell McDonald

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 07:28:32 AM »
Agreed i went pass alot of places that had people on it.

Heck I was going to sight in a rifle yesterday.
And seen a few rigs parked in the area, I moved on and didn't get to shoot the rifle.
But It was the right thing to do.
Oh well maybe today. :tup:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline FreezerFiller

• Pilgrim
    • Ethan Grice
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 02:39:44 PM »
Oh yeah, that's just common sense! Had that happen with deer before, wont let myself be that guy.

Offline FreezerFiller

• Pilgrim
    • Ethan Grice
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 02:42:45 PM »
I agree with Russ .......
Will say sometimes the situation comes into play.
If that Tom already has a bunch of hens ,he isn't coming in to you.

If it gobbles ,you have a location,if the area is open enough start working your way there slow. See if you can get a look at him or some hens.
Depending on terrain ,you may be able to put a stalk on.
Example would be like a ridge ,try to work around or up the back side ,road just below or just above you can use the bank of road to slip in.
I've seen toms killed that only gobbled twice,but a hunter was able to slip into the herd ,by means of terrain,stalk,decoy,and continue light cluck call.

I agree with Russ ,that as the season goes on more hens will nest up,leaving toms to active search for hens ,and for that few weeks Tom will close the distance in a hurry.
Tom's that have a whole herd of hens right now are gonna stay with that herd. Sometimes you might get lucky and a herd has multiple toms and Jake's that will gobble and they kinda get each other worked up enough to come to a call.

Other than that keep trying,if you got one gobble ,that's half the battle. Sometimes it may take awhile to get it to come to a call. If it's active respond to your call with a gobble it's interested. If you only get two gobble in 30 min and it's not responding every time you call ,that may be one to consider some kind of stalk or try to get an eyeball on it. So you have a confirmed location,which way they may be headed,all that.
You may be able to close the distance or cut them off somewhere to get a shot.
Not every turkey killed ,is what you see on hunting shows and YouTube.
I appreciate the insight man, the more I've chatted with people the more I hear that the further into the season the better your chances can get. My difficulty is the self-control of playing "hard to get". I find myself 5 minutes into waiting convincing myself it's time to sound off again, definitely something I will be working on.

Offline FreezerFiller

• Pilgrim
    • Ethan Grice
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 02:46:30 PM »
Lot of info out there, but I would highly recommend watching Dale Outdoors on you tube. He covers all kinds of situations and isn't trying to sale you anything or make up videos of canned hunts. He just gives good advice and over the years I've found most of it to be very accurate.
Thank you for the channel name, I checked Dale out and he has some great videos on there. While I was looking through his videos, I also came across Seek One as well as The Hunting Public! Appreciate it, man.

Offline Badsmerf

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 12:06:42 AM »
I'm not an expert turkey hunter, but I've always thought early in the season was best. I'm surprised to hear you all say that we are a few weeks from the best hunting.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2022, 04:23:52 AM »
I'm not an expert turkey hunter, but I've always thought early in the season was best. I'm surprised to hear you all say that we are a few weeks from the best hunting.
It is better when hens are nesting which is May.  Tom's will ve in bachelor groups and looking for more love with a hen that hasn't been bred.  You will be that hen then.

Russell McDonald

Offline Tball77

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2022, 07:43:16 AM »
Bring Deet for Ticks. 

Offline hughjorgan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2022, 08:47:38 AM »

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2022, 10:24:13 AM »
It is better when hens are nesting which is May.  Tom's will ve in bachelor groups and looking for more love with a hen that hasn't been bred.  You will be that hen then.

[/quote

:yeah:

Where I was it will definately be better in 2 or 3 weeks, All Toms still with Hens all day
The mountains are calling and I must go

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal