collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Grandpa’s Other Bench Leg Bucks.  (Read 7827 times)

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
Re: My Grandpa’s Other Bench Leg Bucks.
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2023, 02:09:04 PM »
Some really cool bucks....Curious....did your Grandpa ever call them bench legs?? I ask because when I was younger I had a meat delivery route every week to Goldendale and delivered to all the markets and meat shops.I would rush through my route and the boss gave me permission to stop and hunt on the way back to Yakima. I got to see a lot of nice bucks hanging in the coolers and I even shot my first buck by Goldendale. NEVER EVER did any of the locals including the meat market guys call them Bench legs and they had coolers Filled with them ( 1968-76). I started seeing the term when the internet started spreading that term.For some reason I have an aversion to that term. Are all the bucks that come from that area cross breeds??...Where do the 100% mulies come from to do the breeding with the 100% blacktail does or vica versa?  No big deal though...everyone calls them what they want. AGAIN...COOL bucks.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2023, 02:41:05 PM »
Some really cool bucks....Curious....did your Grandpa ever call them bench legs?? I ask because when I was younger I had a meat delivery route every week to Goldendale and delivered to all the markets and meat shops.I would rush through my route and the boss gave me permission to stop and hunt on the way back to Yakima. I got to see a lot of nice bucks hanging in the coolers and I even shot my first buck by Goldendale. NEVER EVER did any of the locals including the meat market guys call them Bench legs and they had coolers Filled with them ( 1968-76). I started seeing the term when the internet started spreading that term.For some reason I have an aversion to that term. Are all the bucks that come from that area cross breeds??...Where do the 100% mulies come from to do the breeding with the 100% blacktail does or vica versa?  No big deal though...everyone calls them what they want. AGAIN...COOL bucks.

I’m no expert on the subject, but from what I’ve seen from growing up in that area as a kid is that east of the White Salmon River you start seeing the difference in the deers antlers. If left to mature the antlers grow wider, more mass, eye guards get more common. Not that blacktails don’t do this in maturity, but they don’t look like the deer east of the river, when I was young we would drive around the Simcoe mountains late in the year and see really nice bucks. Mind you that’s been 40 plus years ago.🤣

This pic is my uncles best one from that area.

It’s obviously not a Blacktail, and not pure mule deer. My pics don’t do the deer justice.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2023, 02:57:44 PM »
One thing I found out is you can never tell a deer specie by the antlers....Mulies look like whitetail..whitetail look like mulies.and everything in between. Ever wonder why there are no bench legs in Northern Calif??   blacktail and mulie habitat cross there.. Call them what you want
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2023, 03:19:50 PM »
I believe as time went on and people talked more about the deer in the area they realized that they weren’t pure Blacktail deer, that and the line drawn the Boone and Crooket club. As people’s lifestyles changed from substance hunting to pleasure hunting they start to care more about what the deer species really was, instead of just food for the table.

We didn’t call them bench legs either, just term picked up from the internet. I don’t know what a better term for them would be.

My other uncle has killed some with a lot  more mass and width, but wouldn’t score high in Mule deer category, probably 150-160’s.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2023, 03:38:06 PM »
Really really cool that you have those. Thanks for sharing. 

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2023, 04:21:23 PM »
 :yeah:
I believe as time went on and people talked more about the deer in the area they realized that they weren’t pure Blacktail deer, that and the line drawn the Boone and Crooket club. As people’s lifestyles changed from substance hunting to pleasure hunting they start to care more about what the deer species really was, instead of just food for the table.

We didn’t call them bench legs either, just term picked up from the internet. I don’t know what a better term for them would be.

My other uncle has killed some with a lot  more mass and width, but wouldn’t score high in Mule deer category, probably 150-160’s.

:yeah:

Offline Watimberghost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2023, 04:27:55 PM »
Very cool pics! Thanks for sharing  :tup:

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2023, 06:20:40 AM »
Good point, what I remember as a kid listening to the old timers, if the deer had a black tail, we called it a blacktail, if it was "less than all black" it was a mule deer or "had some black tail in it".  I never heard the term "benchleg" (I don't even like using the term) until I came on here, it is a hunting magazine/internet/government school biologist term, not an old timer hunting term.  I don't remember anyone ever judging a buck by its antlers, only its tail end.  I do remember the old timers talking about seeing does with an all black tail and someone would say "you should have shot it".  I would say that the old timers knew that black tails showing up in traditional mule deer country wasn't a good thing and they knew it should have been taken out. 

I also remember that I frequently saw does with a black tip only or half-black tail.  Nowadays in those same areas all I see is an all black tail.  For instance, in the Yakima area, there would be a couple of bruiser mule deer taken every year in the Naches/Nile/Ahtanum areas, good luck even seeing a decent buck these days.

Boone and Crockett were frontiersman when I was a kid, not something to measure your hunting prowess by.  I would say it wasn't until the early 90's when B&C became much of a bid deal in the hunting mags. Sure, you heard about it but no one paid attention to it.  It really wasn't until the hunting mag guys began to say "so-and-so has killed 10 b&C bucks", or something like that.  Before that, you just knew the guys in your camp and maybe a couple of guys around town or other camps that always got big bucks and big bulls.  In fact, the local papers would have a pic of a local guy who shot a big buck or big bull.  I'll tell you too, there was no limp wristed "harvesting" in the head line, they called it killing or shooting back then, "local man kills big bull", "Local man shoots giant buck", as an example. 

I'm not really that old but I was fortunate to hunt with men, while in my youth, who were born around the turn of the century and who were hard.                 

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2023, 07:40:16 AM »
Good point, what I remember as a kid listening to the old timers, if the deer had a black tail, we called it a blacktail, if it was "less than all black" it was a mule deer or "had some black tail in it".  I never heard the term "benchleg" (I don't even like using the term) until I came on here, it is a hunting magazine/internet/government school biologist term, not an old timer hunting term.  I don't remember anyone ever judging a buck by its antlers, only its tail end.  I do remember the old timers talking about seeing does with an all black tail and someone would say "you should have shot it".  I would say that the old timers knew that black tails showing up in traditional mule deer country wasn't a good thing and they knew it should have been taken out. 

I also remember that I frequently saw does with a black tip only or half-black tail.  Nowadays in those same areas all I see is an all black tail.  For instance, in the Yakima area, there would be a couple of bruiser mule deer taken every year in the Naches/Nile/Ahtanum areas, good luck even seeing a decent buck these days.

Boone and Crockett were frontiersman when I was a kid, not something to measure your hunting prowess by.  I would say it wasn't until the early 90's when B&C became much of a bid deal in the hunting mags. Sure, you heard about it but no one paid attention to it.  It really wasn't until the hunting mag guys began to say "so-and-so has killed 10 b&C bucks", or something like that.  Before that, you just knew the guys in your camp and maybe a couple of guys around town or other camps that always got big bucks and big bulls.  In fact, the local papers would have a pic of a local guy who shot a big buck or big bull.  I'll tell you too, there was no limp wristed "harvesting" in the head line, they called it killing or shooting back then, "local man kills big bull", "Local man shoots giant buck", as an example. 

I'm not really that old but I was fortunate to hunt with men, while in my youth, who were born around the turn of the century and who were hard.                 

Very well said. This is exactly how I remember it too. As a kid we lived in Mill A if you know where that is. On the South end of the big lava bed. We would go hunting every year down there even after we moved away. Snowmobiles we're a must for late muzzleloading elk! Nobody ever called them benchlegs back then either. Even in the nineties. I first heard that term from the guys who did the NW Big game record books. They made up all sorts of crap to sell those books. They came to me and another guy I know wanting to see my antlers and submit them all into the book. I didn't want my name all over that book. I just submitted the biggest ones and told them that's all I wanted to do. Anyway, back on topic, I always looked at California blacktails and said to myself they must be crossed with mule deer. Do any of you see that as well?

Offline JBabcock

• Tracker
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2023, 09:39:53 PM »
Agree with most here. I never heard them called Benchlegs, and we hunted the Ahtanum for years. My Gramps started hunting there in the late 40’s. All I ever heard them called was Mule Deer/Blacktail crosses or hybrids. And that’s what most of them were. Mule Deer characteristics with Blacktail tails. Once in a while you would see a pure Mule Deer. But it was rare.

This was the biggest I ever shot. 1995. That deer was close to 275 - 300 lbs. Biggest deer I’ve ever seen on the ground. Big Mule Deer ears, body, and a pure Blacktail tail.

Offline JBabcock

• Tracker
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2023, 09:48:12 PM »
This one was shot in 1991. 4x3 with eyeguards. Same thing. More Blacktail characteristics though.

Offline JBabcock

• Tracker
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2023, 09:49:50 PM »
My Gramps shot this one in the early 50’s.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2023, 07:14:09 AM »
1995, 1995 was a good season, regular deer season ran into November.  You hunted Elk in the snow.  Bowhunting season was for the Fellons and a couple of weird dudes from the west side who wore a loin cloth and shared the same tent.  1995 was almost the beginning of the end. 

Agree with most here. I never heard them called Benchlegs, and we hunted the Ahtanum for years. My Gramps started hunting there in the late 40’s. All I ever heard them called was Mule Deer/Blacktail crosses or hybrids. And that’s what most of them were. Mule Deer characteristics with Blacktail tails. Once in a while you would see a pure Mule Deer. But it was rare.

This was the biggest I ever shot. 1995. That deer was close to 275 - 300 lbs. Biggest deer I’ve ever seen on the ground. Big Mule Deer ears, body, and a pure Blacktail tail.

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2023, 10:48:32 AM »
I have slide from pics I took of a couple does ( from behind) in the Nile. Clearly one a blacktail and the other a mulie. Also, while bowhunting The Burn in the Nile area I shot at and missed the biggest mule deer buck I had ever seen. Still haunts me. I'm sure it would have been in  the "book". I have never seen a bigger mulie...even in Montana , Oregon, or Utah .

Offline JBabcock

• Tracker
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2023, 12:11:54 PM »
1995, 1995 was a good season, regular deer season ran into November.  You hunted Elk in the snow.  Bowhunting season was for the Fellons and a couple of weird dudes from the west side who wore a loin cloth and shared the same tent.  1995 was almost the beginning of the end. 

Yeah those were the days. I haven’t hunted that area in years but I sure have great memories from that area. Spread my Dads ashes up there last Fall. Good times.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]