collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What shotgun do you use and how do you keep them decent for salt marsh  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Jarredhs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
(90 percent of my hunting is on public puget sound tide flats.)
The weatherby element I bought this season was an awesome shotgun. Still love it, But we are almost done with this season and it’s already rusting to a point it’s 
starting to cause major malfunctions constantly. I clean it every-time I get home with gun medic spray then oil and stuff.( Remove the trigger group. Spray the mag tube and buffer tube with gun medic). But grit and salt water have had its way and have destroyed the gun in most places.
.  It’s gotten to the point where I’m gonna soak it in diesel fuel and then retire it to become a back up shotgun next year so it doesn’t malfunction and rust worse than it already is. With that WHAT SHOTGUNS OR SPECIAL THINGS ARE YOU SALT HUNTERS USING TO KEEP YOUR GUNS DECENT. because I can’t seem to keep up with the rust with just basic cleaning.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Re: What shotgun do you use and how do you keep them decent for salt marsh
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 07:49:34 PM »
I would take a look at a Benelli Nova pump. I have seen numerous people who religiously hunt salt water use them for years. They are relatively cheap, and have less exposed metal to rust.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 08:27:23 PM »
Maybe coat the outside,ceracoat,or duracoat,alumahyde.
The inside you might have to use a lithium grease,or or kroil,wd40,regular motor oil ,something a little more rust preventive than just gun oil.

Keep a can on your person or in the truck.
Spray that sucker down as soon as you hit the truck.

I'm just throwing stuff out there,I don't salt water hunt. :dunno:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 08:49:21 PM »
Most of my season is on the salt flats. I only hunt with a low end pump shotgun. Had some break parts, but never failed due to corrosion. As much as I hunt, autos will fail. Honestly, mine rides in the boat to catch the rain or gets the garden hose when I'm home. Drip dry and WD40 and the seasons keep coming. Spen the money on good ammo

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2022, 09:43:23 PM »
All my salt guns have flat Varathane applied, been doing it for 30+ years. Any oil will work, the only one to stay away from is WD-40. I use Rem oil but mostly use Q-Maxx. WD will dissolve cellulose based powder and make a film on and in your trigger group and cause malfunctions. I picked up a nice looking 1100 dirt cheap at a pawn shop because it didn't function. I cleaned and cleaned to no end, took it to the local gun shop (Jack Fail). He took the trigger group out and said you use WD and got out his dental picks and started pealing cellulose film out.   
As for guns I ether use my Remington SP-10 or a Baikal auto, no failures.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2022, 10:29:39 PM »
On any exposed metal CLP is the best stuff I have ever used. Any time I used rem oil I always had rust issues while in the field. Since I made the switch to CLP it eliminated all my issues.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2022, 07:59:16 AM »
The quality of bluing across manufacturers varies considerably. I know nothing of Weatherby shotties, but my friend's Winchester SX3 was exactly as you describe. My old Ithaca will rust up quickly when exposed to salt too, but I almost never use them there.

My duck guns for the past 20 years have been Benelli. First the Nova and now the M2. I primarily hunt salt water. Both have been sprayed by and submerged in salt water countless times. I will usually hose a gun off if it got dipped in water and strip, clean and lube every few hunts. My Nova did not have cammo finish, so I had to keep it wiped down with CLP or the like or it would start to develop a light freckling of rust. My M2 is camo coated and is so resistant to surface  rust it's just amazing to me.

So, my personal 2 cents is go cheap with a Nova or pony up for an M2 or SBE (others will likely chime in with their favorite brands and models). Pay for the camo coating upgrade. Completely strip, clean and lube a few times a season. If dipped or submerged, it's important to do this ASAP and hose off the gun or individual parts first. The other thing to keep in mind are the often neglected magazine tube spring and recoil springs. These will need to be cleaned and lubed occassionally, orr, like me, you'll end up having to replace them.

Offline GUscottie

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 08:47:09 AM »
Benelli SBEIII BEST...

Guaranteed against rust for 25 years.

Use it. Love it. Hunt with a friend (who also has one) who guides on the salt...Worth it.
Wishing I was fishing...or in Wyoming

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2022, 08:53:26 AM »
I've been hunting a long time with my mossburg 835 that had a factory painted coating. I've had it 25 years, hunt the salt  and haven't had a problem like yours. If you are consistently baptizing it in the salt then here are suggestions.

1 when you get home take it in the shower so you can strip it clean with hot hot water and dawn dish soap
2 give it a good cleaning and blow dry with a compressor
3 oil it up with anything other than  wd40 it contains fish oil which has some salt in it. If you cheap ATF is an option but you will want to wear gloves when applying.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 09:57:41 PM »
80% of my hunting is on salt and I hunt every weekend. I have an A400 Xtreme Plus. I've had it knocked into saltwater by the dog multiple times completely submerged. I just rinse it with freshwater after the hunt, disassemble (10 seconds to disassemble), let it dry and it is rust free. Pretty much all stainless parts. There were some carbon steel screws holding the stock and butt pad together that needed to be replaced with stainless hardware though, but that was cheap and easy. Dumb those carbon steel screws were used, but not an issue anymore.
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 10:03:40 PM »
I do fresh and salt hunting with my Stoeger M3500.  Unless it's really dirty I just let it dry off in the utility room and then put it in the safe.  If it's dirty, I hose it out, then dry it.  I usually clean it at the end of the season whether it needs it or not. :chuckle:

I love coated or stainless hunting guns with plastic stocks.  For fun guns I like nice wood and blued stuff, but for hunting I'm looking for a tool first and beauty is more of a negative.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 10:13:18 PM »
I mostly hunt the salt with a beater Remington 1100. It does have some rust on it that was there when I bought it, but giving it a good wipe down with Ballistol after every trip to the flats has kept it from getting rustier. I always allow it to air out until it’s completely dry at room temp before it goes into the safe as well. I do the same with my blued rifles, wipe with an oily rag and air dry and no problems with rust even in nasty weather.

I think that the gloss finish on most of the older guns was better for keeping rust off as it’s harder for salt to get into all those little pits in a matte finish. I used to have another Remington SP10 that would start to rust before your eyes on a damp day,it had that bead blasted finish everyone seems to be so fond of these days.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal