collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shot placement for black bears.  (Read 172488 times)

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Shot placement for black bears.
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2016, 11:37:10 AM »
http://www.bear-hunting.com/2014/5/middle-of-the-middle-redefining-shot-placement

Anyone ever try and shoot them far back
I did with a .308 a few weeks ago, 98 yards broadside.  Another member found the rotted carcass 4 days later.  She went a long way. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »
Ttt.

C'mon draw. Some shot placement refresher.

Offline tgomez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »
I have shot all 3 of my bear with a 30-06. I shoot for double lung shots on ALL ANIMALS. Two of my bear were small boars 130 lbs and 108 lbs, and they didn't move at all after I shot them. My 326 lb sow ran about 75 yards and the only reason I didn't shoot it again is because I had no second opportunity. I agree with many others who are EXPERIENCED bear hunters, aim for the vitals(heart and lungs) and if they are still moving shoot again.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2018, 01:59:23 AM »

Offline Brian_Whitman

• Pilgrim
  • "Do the thing, and you will have the power."
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2018, 12:20:14 PM »
This is great stuff, thank you!
Brian Whitman

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2018, 07:04:34 AM »
Looks like the majority of the pictures of shot placement are no longer available and some of the links have been broken.  :dunno:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2018, 07:09:37 AM »
Tight to the shoulder, broadside or quartering away for archery.  Same or right on the shoulder for rifle with quality bullets.

They're not exceptionally tough IMO, they just don't bleed on the ground as much
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2018, 07:12:35 AM »
That's what I've gathered so far. :)  :brew:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2018, 07:56:21 AM »
In my opinion bear are one of the toughest to kill animals in the lower 48. Unless you hit vitals, the spine, or break shoulders, you probably won't find a bear and he has a pretty good chance of healing, even shot up broken legs heal, we've taken numerous bear that have had significant old wounds that had healed.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline eyesinfront

• Pilgrim
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2019, 10:41:17 PM »
Shot a big boar this spring with my 270. Quartering towards me at 89yds. Figured the combo of hot hand loads and Barnes bullet would power through that front shoulder...wrong! Turned into a gong show and ended up putting 3 more into him. I'll wait for broadside shots from now. Recovered the bullet from his shoulder and it looked just like it came out of a Barnes add only it never made it past the shoulder into the chest cavity.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2019, 11:38:00 AM »
The original photos are not available but the middle of the middle is a little far back imo but a much better choice then tucking it in close to the shoulder as you can completely miss the vitals. tight to the shoulder is not correct. Bear vitals are further back then deer and elk. Take a look at a middle of the middle pictures and go about 3” further forward. Bears are the easiest animals to kill if you hit double lungs . There ribs are soft and flexible and easily penetrated with archery equipment as well. More people wound bears hitting them to far forward then to far back. Why you would want to shoot an animal in the shoulder and ruin all that meat if you don’t need to is beyond me.

Of course with a high power rifle you have a lot more wiggle room as bears aren’t very big.

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2019, 09:15:58 PM »
Sorry dilleytech but that’s flat wrong. There simply ISNT anything “forward” of the heart and great vessels in the thorax of an animal like that. There’s no extra space inside an organism. Every organ is in immediate and direct apposition with its neighboring organ. No matter how far forward your shot is, if it’s behind the bones of the front leg on a broadside bear, you are in the chest. In fact, farther forward shots hit bigger vessels before they branch and are MORE quickly lethal.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »
Sorry dilleytech but that’s flat wrong. There simply ISNT anything “forward” of the heart and great vessels in the thorax of an animal like that. There’s no extra space inside an organism. Every organ is in immediate and direct apposition with its neighboring organ. No matter how far forward your shot is, if it’s behind the bones of the front leg on a broadside bear, you are in the chest. In fact, farther forward shots hit bigger vessels before they branch and are MORE quickly lethal.

My experience with shot placement and examining the organs After has show this pic to be spot on. Disagree all you would like.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2020, 08:46:16 AM »
This Bear was shot in the top of the heart and ing the lungs.

Offline Jellymon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »

My experience with shot placement and examining the organs After has show this pic to be spot on. Disagree all you would like.

The born and raised guys 10 ringed a bear right in the black spot above the heart and in front of the lungs on that picture with a 308. They tracked blood for a while and never found it.
I hit a bear in the same spot with my bow a few years ago from 20yds, Three of us saw the shot hit perfectly behind the shoulder with a complete passthrough. After waiting about 25 minutes we followed what looked like gallons of blood. After a few hundered yards the blood trail petered out and we started a grid search. Ended up not finding it.

I’m not 100% sure if bear vitals are farther back, but the two situations above have made me wonder........

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]