collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A Steelhead's Memory is 29 Minutes  (Read 4940 times)

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
A Steelhead's Memory is 29 Minutes
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »
After unsuccessfully trying to find someone to float one of my favorite peninsula rivers, I decided to go solo and bank it. It's been a tough year to get out so when I hooked my first fish it took me a little by surprise. 5 seconds of head shakes and it came unbuttoned. The next hole down I was ready on the next take and landed a nice hen about 10 lbs. After working the entire run I could see my truck about 1/2 mile away and knew there were cold ones in the cooler. Just then i remembered to debate, myth, idea that a steelheads memory was only 29 minutes long so decided to test the theory.I returned to the hole I lost the first one and nailed a chrome buck around 8 pounds. Same fish? Maybe. This morning I had a few hours so I returned to the well and first pass through hooked another nice buck. Same fish? I don't think so, a mid to high teener buck. I have to say it's important to have everything ready if you are going to photo and release in a timely manner. I've released a lot of fish and the most important thing is to use heavy enough gear to get them in and back ASAP. I had the camera in one shirt pocket, pliers in the other, snapped a couple quick photos of 2 of the fish and sent them on their way. Sunshine and Steely chrome is always good therapy for a long winter.

Here's the hen. After I unpinned her she decided enough was enough and scooted right back into the hole. I never touched her. 

The first buck I just cut the leader, because I wasn't sure where the hook was.  Here's today's buck. I hope you enjoy the photos.

Head shot

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: A Steelhead's Memory is 29 Minutes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 04:44:23 PM »
Thats JUST FRICKIN gorgeous Tmike.   I was thinking to myself today how fun it would be to catch some steel, but how fun it would be to pick up some bone.  So many choices, so little time.   Good pics and way to keep her in the water.

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:54:59 PM »
They do have a very short memory. I have caught the same fish a couple different times. One of them really pissed me off when it broke off my favorite fly. I fished for about another 20 minutes or so and went back and hooked that fish again and got my fly back. One year i caught the same fish about ten times in the same hole and at the same place in the hole. I of course counted him as 10 separate fish.  :chuckle: I have the same problem bone. to many hobbies and not near enough time time to do them all.

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:57:03 PM »
oh ya nice fish. well done. always a great way to spend an afternoon catching winter steelhead. :o

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
that hen most of put up a hell of a fight, you reel looks like its smoking :chuckle:

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 05:26:03 PM »
That bucks a brute. He has some serious shoulders.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 05:40:53 PM »
I hate you mike! lol....... :chuckle: its not my fault my arm is bumm and i couldnt come...nice fish tom. Really nice...wish i could have come!

Offline MuleySniper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 07:04:10 PM »
Nice fish! What river?? Im still trying to make time to get in the new Willy and head up north.
MS
"Gun control is for wimps and commies. Listen, let's get one thing straight. Guns don't kill people. I do. "
Earl Ramsey

Offline klickriverchromer

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »
dang, with fish like that i'll be your friend and go fishing since your socalled buddies would pass those chromers up.  theres nuts!  litttlllee side-driftin action, wormin or pluggin.  what'r your fav's over there.
Work sucks!!!! I should be shed hunting

Offline wackmaster

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 07:33:49 PM »
CHJ YOU HATE EVERYONE lol :chuckle:
Get outdoors and enjoy life

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »
Good grief, you really know how to make someone jealous! Beautiful fish, nice picture, thanks for posting.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 07:57:29 PM »
Good Job Buddie! I wish I could have been there work sucks sometimes!  :bs: You got me thinking though I may be coming down with something ...Cough, Cough ... think Cliff might have something for my Cough? Great job on those pic's BTW that's awesome!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Bookworm

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 08:02:23 PM »
Awesome pics, I'm a member of the too many hobbies myself. I've been wanting to hit the rivers, just can't seem to find enough time. :(

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 11:02:55 PM »
That reel does look like it's smokin. For perspective, from the cork to the fishes nose on the buck was 26 inches, so that  should put him at 36 + or -. Trust me if I could hook fish like that every time I'd be a guide. For that matter I'd probably have more friends. Well I'm not a guide I just luck into 1 or 2 sometimes. I'm not going to tell you what I used except it had pink yarn and sandshrimp involved.  ;) I'm also not going to give up my spot except to say it is a Chehalis Trib. that closes at the end of this month. Quite a bit of hiking involved and no other anglers spotted, low conditions. I like to drift fish, but will run a bobber if conditions dictate. I missed one that I sat on and threw worms, spoons, jigs, and the kitchen sink at but it must have had a longer than 29 minute memory! M_ray you better hurry because Cliff went through a lot of cough medicine, oh the oysters, razor clams, and elk steaks weren't bad either.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 11:21:46 PM »
Dandy fish T. Is it lunch time yet? I still got 12 hours to go till lunch :)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]