collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: stream fishing w/ 10 yr. old  (Read 4839 times)

Offline kramman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
stream fishing w/ 10 yr. old
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:15:53 PM »
this year my 10 yr. old son informed me that he wnts to stream fish for trout.being mostly a salmon fishermen i was wondering if anyone knew  of any  good easy hikes into the cascades[south or central]or maybe the olympics for some river fishing. would like to hike 2miles or so fish have lunch and turn back.any help would be appr.including any books that might help.                                                                                                                                              thanks kram

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: stream fishing w/ 10 yr. old
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:23:17 PM »
a lot of the smaller streams have tons of little wild trout in them that are a blast to catch especially for a 10 year old. i have picked one on a map, find it and try it. maybe a tough proposition for a 10 year old if there are no fish there i guess.  any of the forks of the teanaway, taneum creek, boxwood canyon creek, etc. the teanaway is always fun and you might be able to hike up into esmerelda basin a ways and find the stream and try it, i never have. i just always fish along the road. the further you get from the yak, the more cutthroats and less rainbows you'll fine.  there is a book i bought at a flyfishing shop that is titled something along the lines of the apline lakes wilderness fishing guide. a lot of the hike in fishing you'll find is gonna be at lakes.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 12:32:34 PM »
 You might also try Tahoma Creek in Mount Ranier Park in late August or September. No fishing license required and loaded with native Cutts that love flies. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 12:34:19 PM »
it would probably help if we knew what area you wanted to be in to fish.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »
jackelope i live tacoma anything within a3hr. drive .also have property by elma so anthing in the southern olympics. thanks

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »
the little creeks i mentioned are all within an hour at the most of snoqualmie pass.

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:59:40 PM »
 Close to your area there is great fishing in the Duckabush, Dosewallips and Hamma Hamma Rivers, I've flyfished the mouth of the Dose for Cutts and it was pretty consistent. Doublecheck regs for sea-run restrictions, a lot of streams in that area are closed to the retention of sea-runs, catch and release.

Offline Ridinshotgun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 06:38:46 PM »
Try Skate Creek its planted all the time. There is easy access along the road. Its opened June 1 to Oct. 31.
If it flies, it dies.

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:27:31 AM »
thinking about taking the kids over to rufus woods lake for spring brk.w/ gas at $3.50+ i dont want to pull the boat.ive never been over there but ive heard its possible to plunk from shore.anyone ever done this?do you need a tribal permit if your on the res.any shore access places to plunk? sporting good stores  where i might get some info? any info would be appr.thanks  kram quad and slojo

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:48:26 PM »
tribal permit needed on rez. Not needed on white boy side. I usually fish on whiteboy side by bridgport above chief joe dam. Fishing has been picking up. Easy to catch fish from the shore kids would have fun. Last time I went it had picked up alot since it was warming up. they will swallow but have been biting lightly right on the drop and usually require hooking but will swallow if u give them time.

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »
thanks for info mossback i will stay on white boy side.is most the shore fishing done w/power bait or a different method

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 04:46:41 PM »
thanks for info mossback i will stay on white boy side.is most the shore fishing done w/power bait or a different method

I know alot of guys use powerbait but I think if you use bait you have to keep the first 2 caught. I would suggest trying micro jigs under a bobber.

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 05:27:41 PM »
spoons and rooster tails work great also.

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 10:39:18 AM »
well im heading over tomorrow hope the weather warms up abit are there any other lakes out there that might be worth trying im thinking of   staying in wenatchee.any lowland hikes worth trying.if we catch anything ill try to get a pic up.will probable need wife to do it 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 10:55:20 AM »
Should be picking up, they lost another 5,000 fish out of the nets by accident last week.  OOOpps

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]