collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: wild boars  (Read 8863 times)

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
Re: wild boars
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 04:57:02 PM »
Trying to talk the wife into letting me go on a pig hunt down in NC this spring.
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 03:07:24 PM »
I've been invited on a pig drive hunt this saturday.  :IBCOOL: I cant wait. this style of pig hunt is very popular in areas where the pig population is out of control.  :hunt2:
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 04:06:33 AM »
No kidding! How cool!  What caliber you intend to use?
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 05:44:38 AM »
my buddy is setting me up with his European sako 75 30.06 with a heavy barrel and a Schmidt and bender scope on it.  :o

It should be a completely traditional drive hunt with Horns, hounds, and several traditional ceremonies

If i can just see something like this it will be enough to make me never want to leave.

"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline FrankDown

• Longhunter
  • Natural Renewable Resources
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 03:31:57 AM »
I grew up in Georgia and there was a friend of mine that would use dogs, or not use dogs, to catch wild hogs.  The funny part is this guy is skinny and about 6 feet tall.  With little more than a piece of rope and maybe a dog he would run in the bushes, squealing would start, maybe some dog growling, and a little thrashing around.  A short time later he would come out victoriously with a tied up hog.  He tried to get me to do it but I never wanted to try to tie up a wild hog.  Shooting them with a rifle is one thing, but tying them up with some rope isnt for me.  In southern Georgia along the coast the palm fronds around the march are ususally short, or are a lot of times, and when the hogs are feeding on acorns within the palms they cant hear from the palm fronds brushing one another and you can get really close to them if you are careful.  They arent particularly wily, I dont know if its because theres so many of them or that they really dont have any natural predators there.  It would be nice to hunt them here, but you really dont want feral hogs in the forest here.  THey make a terrible mess rooting up the floor looking for food constantly.

A friend bought some property along a river in south Ga and the hogs were eating too much deer forage so he made a number 9 trap.  You take fence posts and dog fence wire and make a number nine with the posts so that the wire runs in a circle and the leg of the 9 makes a funnel.  The hogs circle the fence and walk in the leg part and the fence is just loose pushing against the circle and they go in and cant get out.  He caught as many as 6 a day and it got to the point top where he didnt know what to do with the hogs as he had given so many away that no one needed any more.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2008, 09:12:23 AM »
.... A short time later he would come out victoriously with a tied up hog. 

:yike:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 11:32:17 AM »
I grew up in Georgia and there was a friend of mine that would use dogs, or not use dogs, to catch wild hogs.  The funny part is this guy is skinny and about 6 feet tall.  With little more than a piece of rope and maybe a dog he would run in the bushes, squealing would start, maybe some dog growling, and a little thrashing around.  A short time later he would come out victoriously with a tied up hog.  He tried to get me to do it but I never wanted to try to tie up a wild hog.  Shooting them with a rifle is one thing, but tying them up with some rope isnt for me.  In southern Georgia along the coast the palm fronds around the march are ususally short, or are a lot of times, and when the hogs are feeding on acorns within the palms they cant hear from the palm fronds brushing one another and you can get really close to them if you are careful.  They arent particularly wily, I dont know if its because theres so many of them or that they really dont have any natural predators there.  It would be nice to hunt them here, but you really dont want feral hogs in the forest here.  THey make a terrible mess rooting up the floor looking for food constantly.

A friend bought some property along a river in south Ga and the hogs were eating too much deer forage so he made a number 9 trap.  You take fence posts and dog fence wire and make a number nine with the posts so that the wire runs in a circle and the leg of the 9 makes a funnel.  The hogs circle the fence and walk in the leg part and the fence is just loose pushing against the circle and they go in and cant get out.  He caught as many as 6 a day and it got to the point top where he didnt know what to do with the hogs as he had given so many away that no one needed any more.

I know exactly what your talking about.  I lived in Leesburg, Georgia neer Albany for 5 years and 1 year in Florida.  I had 1/2 dozen friends that were into that kind of hunting.   Running them with dogs, trapping them, sticking them with knives, etc.  Maybe not in 09 but hopefully in 2010 I can get back down their and run some hogs.

Offline FrankDown

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 02:22:42 PM »
Some guys use basically pit bulls to hung hogs with also.  Usually two of them.  Not sure if its still legal there or not.  The dogs would basically get them by their ears until they get there to either noose them or kill them.

Offline chad s.

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
I'd personally love to be able to hunt hawgs here. They multiply quick, just like turkeys did here. to bad the wdfw would rather introduce more predators like the wolves here instead.

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 02:51:26 PM »
ive seen some pics of some tough lookin pits that are used for pigs, i'd be afriad to handle dogs like that but still puts a pretty cool picture in your head of dogs like that on a big'ol boar

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2008, 06:11:10 PM »
Some guys use basically pit bulls to hung hogs with also.  Usually two of them.  Not sure if its still legal there or not.  The dogs would basically get them by their ears until they get there to either noose them or kill them.

I left georgia 2 years ago and as far as I know it is still legal to use dogs down their.

Most of the time my buddies would run 3 or 5 dogs.  Atleast 1 of them was a catch dog.  Other dogs they were refered to s bay dogs.  They wouuld let the bay dogs go to find the hogs.  Once one was bayed up or they were close enough they would let the Catch dog go.  Once the catch dog is on the boar than they other dogs would jump in to help. 

I have a picture of a 400lbs boar that they caught.  It is a photo not on the computer.  I believe they caught it and realized they didn't have a knife.  Ended up killing it with a pocket knife.  I will see if I can find it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:24:34 PM by Michelle_Nelson »

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2008, 06:23:32 PM »
Here is a pic of that hog.  The Boar killed 5 dogs befor they killed it.  All the dogs were other hunters dogs.  My buddies didn't loose any of their dogs.  I was wrong they killed the hog with a K-Bar and not a pocket knife.

they said it weighed close to 400lbs.

Offline FrankDown

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2008, 06:33:30 PM »
I still havent found any good sweet tea or boiled peanuts here either.  I see where theres a few small pockets of hogs here and there supposedly on the peninsula but its like the bigfoot, no sign.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2008, 08:34:51 PM »
I agree.  One thing WA doesn't need is a huntable population on Wild Hogs runing around.  You think WA hunters hate wolves?  Wait til a wild hog population gets started in WA.   :yike:

I havn't found any boiled Peanuts either.  When I ask for sweat tea at reasturants they bring me a cup of tea and some sugar packets!  :bdid:

You know what else is hard to find.  Good BBQ!  Never had good pulled pork since I left.

I do miss the 12 deer limit down their.

Offline FrankDown

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2008, 10:41:35 PM »
Theres a place in Bellevue called Dixies.  Its run by an old guy from Mississipi.  Its good.  The "mansauce" is hot, but  eat a lot of Indian food (east indian not native) so its okay to me.  The bbq there is good IMO.  I havent found any like it outside of the South.

Yeah, thats funny, when you ask for sweet tea they say "I got tea, and I got sugar, you can put sugar in it".  Aint the same, thanks.  I went to NYC and bought 5 lbs of raw green peanuts and brought them home (was in NYC anyway, not just to get peanuts).  I boiled them cajun style and absolutely no one at work liked them.  No one.  They compained that they were soft.  Ha.

I agree that once the hogs got here they would definately start complaining about them.  THey are like rabbits, with a bunch of little piglets running around and breeding in no time.  I imagine that in short order theyd have all forage scooped up so that nothing else got to eat.  There may not just be much here that they would eat, but it seems like the moss and any acorns and grass would be food.  Theyd tear up all the ground looking for roots, grubs, and berries.  They would likely compete with deer, bears, and a few others.  THey ar ebad on ground roosting and nesting birds too.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal