collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My boy  (Read 1863 times)

Offline steelheadin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
My boy
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:58:13 AM »
My son (11 yrs) just passed his hunters saftey class, and he is really chomping at the bit to go turkey hunting. Can some of you give me an idea of a fun place to take him? It doesn't have to be the best place around, just a place that is decent access and a possibility of a turkey. He just wants to go and experience it.
Thanks all.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
Re: My boy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:10:11 AM »
Not sure where you're located....but the best chance to experience some of the gobbling etc for your son would probably be the NE...Stevens county.  Lots of forest service and some DNR lands have birds.  Get a map and research it if you can.  Across the river from Kettle Falls, go east and also north along the river in Ferry County......there is lots of Forest Service and also WDFW lands with birds.

If you're on the coast and thats too far, you might opt for Klickitat County.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline steelheadin

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:12:23 AM »
Thanks, I really appreciate it. We are in Snohomish County.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:50:35 AM »
There were some easterns released in your county back in the late 90's on the Pillchuck Tree Farm area....and they are probably expanding somewhat....but the most difficult subspecies to hunt in Washington and doubt it would get your son into the sights and sounds of turkey hunting.
Something to consider for a later date perhaps.  Might want to visit with someone who works there and see if you can get some information regarding their presence.  Close to home and as your boy gets older a potential area to explore.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline LITTLEBUCK

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:45:39 PM »
Steelheadin, if you go to the northeast don't be afraid to ask permission on private property if you see some birds. Your 11 year old son is your meal ticket for access. Most people I have run into there are glad to give a father son permission. You might be surprised what comes out of asking permission. Good luck if you go, get that son of yours addicted to turkey hunting, not much more in life more fun.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]