collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: starter calls ?  (Read 8486 times)

Offline superdown

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
starter calls ?
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:44:52 AM »
I have never turkey hunted before but this last season during my first muzzy deer season we saw a bunch turkeys in our area and thought we would give it a try this year . I picked up a hevi shot super full extended turkey choke tube for my bps 20gauge and i have some federal premium 3in. 1 5/16oz #4 shot turkey load . So finally my question how bout a couple starter calls ? I wanted to go to the turkey seminar at sportco but missed out on that :hello:

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
Re: starter calls ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:41:01 AM »
I like the diaphragm because it leaves my hands free. A box or slate call are easier to use. If I am calling for someone else and my hands are free, I use several calls to get different sounds out there. A box call is probably the easiest for someone new. You can get a cd that will give you the different calls.

Offline Bigger Fish

• Tracker
  • Turkey Slayer Wannabee-Still!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
I'm a "starter" myself, and have been practicing my diaphragm calls for a few months now.  I thought I was getting fairly decent, until I went to the aforementioned Sportco seminar and one of the presenters did a few calls.  To say I was stunned as to how real he sounded, and how much more practice I need is a dramatic understatement.

I can yelp and cluck with it, but I'm finding purring quietly to be extremely difficult with the diaphragm.  So I bought a slate call while I was there, and that thing purrs NICE and QUIET...

My starter .02...

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 12:46:05 PM »
I would recomend sticking with a box call and a slate call.  Both are very easy to use with the drawback, as one poster noted, being that you need to be moving a bit to use them.  A box call can be used very easily with a minimum amount of movement. Make sure you get a good locator call (crow call, predator call or any of several types out there) as you should be using it as much as your regualr call.  I think to many hunters use their turkey calls to also locate the birds and I can guarnantee you  I've  actually seen birds later in the hunt turn and run when they heard yelping on a call.  You'll get a lot of opinons, but I think most hunters way over call and worry to much about how good they sound.  If you get around many turkeys you'll find they are about like humans-many different voices and many different ways of using them.  (if you get a slate call, make sure you keep a piece of sandpaper with you as the wet weather you usually encounter during the hunt will render them useless without occasional sanding and your box call should be kept in a waterproof pocket or plastic bag for the same reason)

Offline dawei

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
I have never turkey hunted before but this last season during my first muzzy deer season we saw a bunch turkeys in our area and thought we would give it a try this year . I picked up a hevi shot super full extended turkey choke tube for my bps 20gauge and i have some federal premium 3in. 1 5/16oz #4 shot turkey load . So finally my question how bout a couple starter calls ? I wanted to go to the turkey seminar at sportco but missed out on that :hello:
If I could have only one call it would be a Hunter Specialties® Ring Zone® Slate w/the Hickory Cross Cut Striker. Simply the best IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:49:02 PM by dawei »
David

Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »
 :tup: There's some good info here. Your not the only beginner that could use some tips.  :chuckle: i'm right there with you.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
If I could have only one call it would be a Hunter Specialties® Ring Zone® Slate w/the Hickory cross cut striker. Simply the best IMHO.
I will check that call out any others that i should look at?

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 04:41:10 PM »
Box calls for starters. Unless you have been using a diaphragm, why elk hunting and really know how to use them. If you are decent the turkeys won't even come near you! You have to be perfect with a diaphragm! a box or slate, you can get away with a little mistake here or there. But a bad note on a diaphragm sounds like nothing else :chuckle:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »
i would start out with a slate or crystal call. went with a guy who was supposed to be a pro with a mouth call on my first turk hunt. we found some turks & he went to do his magic. nothing, no responce, after a while i decided to hit my crystal & boom-here they come-i worked em and then went to some soft calls, purs ect..(basically nervous scritches). he ended bagging the gobbler but it was the call that brought them in. dont be afraid to switch it up. i will also use one striker, move a little and use a different striker for a little different sound. more than one hen? what would do? i also use a mouth call but it seems to be real easy to screw up, one wrong note & your day is done. as far as box calls, i havent been able to master them yet, just me!. try them all & find what works best for you. once you get hooked on turkey hunting your going to end up with all of them any way.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 06:44:30 PM »
When I started out my first season I had a box call which I still use today and a slate call and a crow call which needs to be replaced and hopefully I can find a new Faulks C 50 again. I would also recommend a crystal call with a plastic type striker so that you have a call to use when it rains. Good luck to ya hope the info on the site helps you out.

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »
I think calls are like fishing lures, to catch the person, me included. When starting and wanting one call, a box call. Once you get some time in, then the others. I now use a wingbone, scratch box and box call. I have never got on to diaphragm or tube call. I have had very little luck with a slate call although most have. I don't think it is the call as much as the calling, they will all work. I have improved my success by reducing the calling frequency to 10% of what I used to do. As a rule of thumb I try to limit my calls to once every 15 minutes. I have had no luck at all with a locater call.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
As stated earlier, it really is up to the individual (Hunter AND Turkey) but I am surprised nobody has mentioned the push-button type.
I  have an Eastern that I have been playing with for 4 years now, the only call he has come to is my push-button.
I have also called in several Coyotes w/ the damn thing.
just to compare, I own 3 paddle/boxes, 2 slate/striker, 1 Aluminum/strike, 1 has 3 diff. surfaces, 1 is a turtle shell w/slate (more for coolness than use)
a Gobble-Shaker, and a plastic H.S.Strut push button.
not to mention 4-5 assorted Diaphragms.
But my experience is with the Easterns, dont know what the other species respond to.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
I guess I asssumed when I said box calls, that meant the push pin type box, which is what I actually meant.  As stikngsting says, they are excellent for beginners and anyone else for that matter.  Very very good for close in work.  Only drawback to them is that most don't have much volume if you're working birds from a distance or in windy conditions.  As another poster said, if you really getted hooked on turkeys, you'll end up with at least a dozen of the damn things and probably rely on just 2 or 3.  Just like fishing lures, God forbid your buddy might have one that works and you don't own one.  Just plan on getting a vest with lots of pockets!!!

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »
Just plan on getting a vest with lots of pockets!!!
I have 9 Turkey calls, 6-7 locator calls, let alone all the other "necessities and possibles" between the stuff in my pockets and pack, ( calls, seat, blind, decoys, TP, Lunch, and whatever else...)
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 01:49:37 PM »
I'd get a slate call and a couple strickers, and learn how to use it.  Cadence is way more important than sound. :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]