collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Peak Rut in Eastern Washington  (Read 23319 times)

Offline CedarPants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Peak Rut in Eastern Washington
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:44:15 AM »
Just curious to get everyone's opinion on when you think the rut peaks in eastern Washington.  My experience in 117, 121, & 124 has been that it generally falls the week before Thanksgiving week.  I know guys who hunt muzzleloader up in 113 though that will tell you it falls during Thanksgiving week, as well as bowhunters in 127 that will tell you the same thing.  Further south in 139 there always seems to be a mix of opinions varying from the week before to the week of Thanksgiving, depending on where exactly you are at

Offline Camp David

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
Re: Peak Rut in Eastern Washington
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:40:56 AM »
I have been bow hunting 124 for about the last 10 years. Due to the archery season, which falls now the week of Thanks giving, I think the first rut is over. With that said, there has always been a good second rut which seems to start that opening week of the late archery season. From what i can see, there is a poor buck to doe ratio and the first rut the bucks are so busy tending does you don't see much of them. When the second rut kicks in the bucks have to spend a little more time finding receptive does and thus your best opportunity to find a nice one. My best buck have come after Thanks giving.
Don't spend your last day on earth saying "I wish I would have"

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
Camp - I would agree with you.  I do think the late rifle season coincides with the peak rut (especially in 124), but from my experience if you aren't there that very day .... and sometimes that very hour ... that the bucks are chasing the does, you aren't going to see them because they will be tending (don't get me wrong, if you are there at that right time it can be really exciting).  Guy I know all say the same about 124 - 2nd rut sees more big boys on the move

Offline Lunatic Fringe

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »
I got drawn for the rifle rut tag a few years ago in the Aladdin unit.  We hunted the last week of the late season which ended Nov 19th, then one day off and the permit hunt began the 21st.  Of course the weather has a lot to do with the rut, but we noticed rutting activity starting on the 19th and then got really heavy shortly after.  I would say the peak is the Thanksgiving holiday give or take a couple days depending on weather.

Offline piledup

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:04 PM »
From what I've noticed is the peak rut seems to be around the last week of late rifle. That's when I saw the most bucks with does. :twocents:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »
You guys are talking about whitetails, yes?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline piledup

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:39:23 PM »
I was thinking whitetails :dunno:

Offline Lunatic Fringe

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
Yes.  Muley and blacktail would be different.  I haven't been able to pinpoint their rut.  The last time I saw a Blacktail chasing a doe was arount the 14th of Nov.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 05:07:27 PM »
What I see here in 121.....very active pre-rut first week of november , usually by the 20th.... , breaders are locked down with does.  They will stay with receptive does for about a week, or until they have bred all does readily available.  Last year,  a friend came over day after Thanksgiving.  I had 5 stands up, we hunted hard, lots of does and pecker heads, no daylight visits from any of the big guys I had on camera.  Every night for 6 nights, when we returned from hunting, as we pulled into my place, there would be a stud buck and a lesser buck, the lesser one keeping just out of harms way, and a doe.  They were in my pasture, close as 60 yards.  I usually have 8 to 12 does around all the time, like now......so we were sure it was a different doe each night.  It appears the deer were bedding during the day up in the natural cover in the back corner, and a couple of 4in round fence posts were ripped to shreds.  Again, after he ( my firend) left, I continued to hunt, but only youngsters and slick heads during the day, big guys after dark.  I honestly think with the late rifle hunt, the big guys are mostly, again "mostly" nocturnal.  There isnt enough time for them to relax and drop their guards a bit between late rifle and bow.   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:43:43 AM by buckfvr »

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »
In 127/130 it seems to reach fever pitch sometime between 22-26.... In 117/121/101 it seems to to really peak sometime between 11-17 in the areas I have hunted.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
Last year in 127 on opening day of late archery it was insane!! I saw 17 bucks chasing does that day and like 15 the next and then everyday after that it was getting less and less to 0 activity by Dec 1st.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 11:34:12 PM »
Last 2 to 3 days of late rifle is a good time to be in the woods.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 04:54:53 AM »
the higher elevations seem to peak earlier also with my observations... seeing muley bucks in the high country chasing in late Oct to open flat landers peaking in mid Nov

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 06:12:27 AM »
Assuming you are talking whitetails, November 19th give or take a few hours.

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 07:04:42 AM »
My apologies everyone, I did mean whitetail.

buckfvr - I've noticed a lot of the same in 121 (well, trailcams have noticed) ...... nocturnal activity by the bigger bucks during the rut.  That's not to be said that they aren't any up and moving during the day - there are.  But with so many people pokin around the woods I do think a large number of them go dark during late rifle.  Lots of activity between 10pm -1am, and again between 3am - 5am.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]