collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: One confused Washingtonian fisherman???  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
One confused Washingtonian fisherman???
« on: July 14, 2007, 04:32:21 PM »
 There's a new web site out called "Sportfishing BC" that I had just begun posting to a couple weeks ago. Most of you know me, I've got Canadian roots more so than US roots and spend time fishing and soon to be hunting up there. I've not ranted on about how US fishermen are sometimes treated up there, but let's just say we almost never went back the first year we went up there the insult's were so common towards me and my wife simply because we had US plates. We changed lodging's the next year and it was much better, no surprise it was a primarily US lodge. I just don't understand this animosity towards US fishermen, I've never given a 2nd thought about a Canadian fishing the US, no big deal to me. Anyway, I posted to a post that had turned ugly, with mention of stripping many current priveleges away from US fishermen just because. I felt I was polite enough, except I did use #$% symbols to describe one name we were called on our first trip. I'd like your opinion, should I have been blocked from their site for my post? Nearly all my post's had some good information, or some such and their rules do not state anything about being banned for anything like what I posted. The editor emailed me in response and felt I was jumping to a conclusion about the site being biased, well guess what, I still don't have access. Post is below, thoughts?
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5120

Offline Otto1

• Scout
Re: One confused Washingtonian fisherman???
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 05:26:47 PM »
I live right on the boarder and hear all the stories about the candians ragging on the US fisherman... I take full advantage when one ventures south into my waters....

Offline Fletch

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 01:23:39 PM »
you got banned for that?

Offline Otto1

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:04:19 PM »
I forgot to mention that I ventured up north a few months ago to go to their sportsmen show in Abbortsford and my buddies truck door got keyed pretty bad...

You should hear the stories of what else happens to the USA plated vehicles parked alongside the rivers...

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 07:58:12 AM »
 I have a feeling a moderator was using his "badge" excessively. When I spoke with the editor, he had no idea why I would have been blocked out for that and got me access again. All is good now, but I did get a little worked up about it.

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 08:38:59 AM »
Thats wierd that the fishermen are like that. On other sites I go to I have some really good canuck friends. I have even been offered a few hunts up north. Maybe the fishermen are just little bitches who whine alot...
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 10:13:02 PM »
That sucks.  If they don't want us, they should make it more difficult for us to fish up there.  They certainly don't seem to mind our $$, even allowing us to fish Canadien waters from WA ports.

That being said, the same sort of thing happens to non-WA fisherman on the peninsula.  I was out there last spring with a guide who was telling us all the stories about theft, vandalism, etc., at the boat launches.  He said he never had a problem with it, even leaving $300 rods in his truck.  But the trucks with non-WA plates got broken into all the time.  Lo and behold, we get to the takeout and a CA truck had a window smashed in.  Didn't appear anything was stolen...they just smashed the window.

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 02:39:53 PM »
 I have to plead naivety. Before I went to Canada fishing the first time I had no idea about any ill will, it sucks either place. Salmon are a shared resource and always will be as long as they migrate up and down the coast.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 05:03:10 PM »
I've fished Canada every year for the last 15+ years.  Most the comments I get are that we take all the salmon.  Some have a misguided opinion that we take "their" salmon that are heading to their rivers.

I just point out we rarely even get a salmon season and our halibut season lasts only a couple days.  That usually quiets the situation.

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 11:07:31 AM »
 That does seem to be the root of the comment's. Since my involvement with fisheries in the last few years, I've noticed how really uneducated some people are about the origin of certain fisheries, even people who think they are enlightened. I had a guy try to tell me based on "official" reports that 90% of all chinook caught in Nootka were from the US. I've also heard from a minority of Nootka locals that some of them do think of all the fish in that area as Canadian fish. Neither is true obviously, by the numbers, Nootka has roughly 100-130,000 local chinook passing through every year and an additional quarter million or so Nitinat, Fraser and WCVI bound chinook passing by. The US fish coming down the Nootka coastline number around a million chinook, though very few venture out to the offshore areas to fish, so I would have to say it's a 50/50 split catch, just as it should be. Though Alaska does harvest a percentage of Canadian fish commercially, Alaska's hatchery and wild production of chinook is a huge shot in the arm to northern BC's fisheries. It's a wash anyway you look at it.

sisu

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 09:03:21 AM »
There's a new web site out called "Sportfishing BC" that I had just begun posting to a couple weeks ago. Most of you know me, I've got Canadian roots more so than US roots and spend time fishing and soon to be hunting up there. I've not ranted on about how US fishermen are sometimes treated up there, but let's just say we almost never went back the first year we went up there the insult's were so common towards me and my wife simply because we had US plates. We changed lodging's the next year and it was much better, no surprise it was a primarily US lodge. I just don't understand this animosity towards US fishermen, I've never given a 2nd thought about a Canadian fishing the US, no big deal to me. Anyway, I posted to a post that had turned ugly, with mention of stripping many current priveleges away from US fishermen just because. I felt I was polite enough, except I did use #$% symbols to describe one name we were called on our first trip. I'd like your opinion, should I have been blocked from their site for my post? Nearly all my post's had some good information, or some such and their rules do not state anything about being banned for anything like what I posted. The editor emailed me in response and felt I was jumping to a conclusion about the site being biased, well guess what, I still don't have access. Post is below, thoughts?
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5120
Hey the Canadians and Alaskans have been feuding for years about sport and commercial fishing, BUT I never experienced any bull crap from the Canadians north of Dawson. My family and I were at the I-5 border crossing back in the late 80s or early 90s when this big mouth Vancouver butt head started telling me to spend some of our big Alaska money in Canada. So I decided to screw with the dork and told him that yes indeed we were going to save a ton of our BIG Alaskan money in Canada because of the exchange difference. His eyes bugged out of his head, rolled up his window and shut his pie hole.

I have to add this also. A couple of years ago I was reading a fishing site in Canada when I ran across a thread that told of trashed American cars and trucks at put in and take out sites. The Canadian authorities were trying like hell to catch the perpetrator. Local businesses were worried because of the bad press. One local fly shop said his yearly take from American customers was at least 50% and he could not afford to loose those dollars.

And NO you should not have been banned from further postings, but then I've been banned from a few sites for far worse than that. Take it as a medal of honor.  :chuckle:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:11:10 AM by sisu »

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 08:34:21 PM »
  ;) Ya, we'll see how it goes this year up there, let you know in about two weeks when we come back with full coolers....

8)

Hopefully the combat fishing won't be too bad.  :boxin: :boxin: :boxin:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal