collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk area question  (Read 14248 times)

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Elk area question
« on: August 12, 2008, 09:03:15 AM »
Last weekend I did some scouting over by Blewitt Pass, Teanaway, and Haney Meadows and found what I feel is a hot spot for elk. Elevation was around 4000 ft based on the GPS. The area is really thick and heavily treed. There was sing of elk everywhere, pretty much tore up. The area stunk like elk had been just laying there.
My question though is when I came out of the woods I ran in Native American who was setting up camp very close to the elk area I was scouting.  Would you guy’s persue the area knowing that? The reason I ask is I was under the impression they can hunt as of August 1st and if so I assume if that is the case they blown them out of there. I have never hunted this far up the pass before and normally stay closer to Teanaway but can’t seem to locate the elk closer to Teanaway.  Also is the Teanway more of a transition area for the elk coming down from the pass?

Offline cabin308

• Scout
Re: Elk area question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 09:26:16 AM »
If you saw a Native Am setting up camp nearby to do some  :bs:  'hunting', try to get in touch with this member, pendoreilleadventures, on this site.  He may be able to help?  The local GW would probably like to know where, too, if he doesn't know  already.   :twocents:
Quote from pendoreilleadventures,---"someone should contact there tribe and have this stopped this is bull *censored*  I work for an Indian tribe an this is not the way they all are by any means. One of my best friends is an indain and my hunting partner. If anyone gets what tribe they are from and there names I would be happy to contact there tribe and try and put a stop to this. this is a down right discusting thing there is no need to kill that many animals period. I could understand 2- maybe 3 to feed their famileys but 16 is just crazy. no wonder the elk were gone by 1900!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm still at a loss and frustrated how some indians are able to get away with these actions.   >:(

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:34:14 AM »
Are they able to hunt from Ag 1st going forward? if that is the case then I would be incline to report. Otherwise not sure what I would be reporting other then I saw him setting up camp and what I believe to be an area which I believe is likley that the elk are in there. Thanks for the info

Offline cabin308

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
Sorry, I don't know if Aug. 1 is the start of their 'hunting season' or not.  I recall some other member's posts here about seeing them out in August with many big bulls already taken.  Read through this thread...
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,8937.0.html

Online Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 11:26:35 AM »
Why don't you put up the location of the camp on this website, then the woods might be a little louder adn the elk will get spooked and leave the country and thus not taken by "substance hunters"

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:52:18 PM »
Well here is the hunting seasons and rules for the Yakama Nation:

http://www.ynwildlife.org/tribalhunting.php

Offline hard hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »
Maybee its just me but I could not find the bag limit for deer and elk each day in the Yakima hunting regulations.  Is it one a day or more? 

I would also like to know what the guys from the other thread did with all the meat since they cant sell it to the public and can't waste it without being in violation of their own laws

Offline andrew_12gauge

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
yeah and i dont see anything that says they cant hunt till after aug 1st just says no antlerless deer or elk hunting from january to july or whatever

Offline pendoreilleadventures

• Moose Whisper
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.benham.16
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 08:56:17 AM »
This is the email I just sent to the Yakama Nation. Tell me what you think?

To Whom it may Concern,

My name is Brian Benham I work for the Kalispel Tribe. This email has Noting to with the tribe just so you know just giving you a little background of myself. I have grown up adjacent to the Kalispel Reservation all my life I fully understand Native American Culture. I respect the Members of the Yakama Nation and your Culture and I am not in any way trying to disrespect The Members of The Yakama Nation.  It has come to my attention that There are two Brother from the Yakama Nation That have been grossly over harvesting mature herd bulls from the Clockum Area. In the last Three years it is my understanding that they have been harvesting close to 20+ Bulls a year. I understand That The said land was your Land long before. The government came and took it away and it is your right to hunt The Ceded Area. This Is a Quote from your website.

“Members of the Yakama Nation, and other tribes, hunt throughout their ancestral lands in Washington State for the purpose of gathering meat for sustenance and ceremonial purposes. It is not the custom of tribal people to hunt or gather food for sport or leisure, but is instead a traditional and cultural activity that is needed to provide food for funerals, memorials, name giving’s, food feasts, and family dinners. On the reservation and ceded areas, these laws and rights override the jurisdiction of the Washington State Department of Fish & Wildlife.”

I can understand and support The members Of the Yakama Nations to gather meat for sustenance and ceremonial Purposes. In contrary I was told that a local hunter talk to a Washington State Fish and Wildlife Officer last archery season and he told the hunter that the Brothers had killed 16 branch antlered bulls so far that year and all of this in just the month of August.  In the past few year many hunters in the area have been noticing a drastic decline in large herd bulls. As I am sure you know if too many mature bulls are taking out of a herd it will have a impact on the overall population of the herd. Which in turn means less bulls to bred the cows which mean less calves. If this trend of killing far more bulls then are need continues then it is my belief that the Clockum herd could face population issues in the near future. 

Thank you,

Brian Benham
“Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak.”
― Ted Nugent

Offline American Rattlesnake

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »
pendoreilleadventures,
Did you send that letter yet?  The substance of the message is great, but if you haven't sent it, I might have some spelling/grammar edits for you to make your point more clear.

Let me know if this would be helpful.  :)

Regards,
AR

Offline pendoreilleadventures

• Moose Whisper
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.benham.16
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
nope didn't send it yet. go ahead
“Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians--except for the occasional mountain lion steak.”
― Ted Nugent

Offline American Rattlesnake

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 10:24:56 AM »
This is the email I just sent to the Yakama Nation. Tell me what you think?

To Whom it may Concern,

My name is Brian Benham; I work for the Kalispel Tribe. This email has nothing to with the tribe just so you know just giving you a little background of myself. I have grown grew up adjacent to the Kalispel Reservation, have lived here all my life, and I fully understand Native American Culture. I respect the members of the Yakama Nation and your culture and I am not in any way trying to disrespect the members of the Yakama Nation.  It has come to my attention that there are two Brothers from the Yakama Nation that have been grossly over-harvesting mature herd bulls from the Clockum Area. In the last three years it is my understanding that they have been harvesting close to 20+ Bulls a year. I understand that the said land was yours Land long before the government came and took it away and it is your right to hunt the Ceded Area. This is a Quote from your website:

“Members of the Yakama Nation, and other tribes, hunt throughout their ancestral lands in Washington State for the purpose of gathering meat for sustenance and ceremonial purposes. It is not the custom of tribal people to hunt or gather food for sport or leisure, but is instead a traditional and cultural activity that is needed to provide food for funerals, memorials, name giving’s, food feasts, and family dinners. On the reservation and ceded areas, these laws and rights override the jurisdiction of the Washington State Department of Fish & Wildlife.”

I can understand and support the members of the Yakama Nations to who gather meat for sustenance and ceremonial purposes. In contrary However, I was told that by a local hunter who talked to a Washington State Fish and Wildlife Officer last archery season and he told the hunter that the Brothers had killed 16 branch antlered bulls so far that year and all of this in just in the month of August.  In the past few years many hunters in the area have been noticing a drastic decline in the numbers of large herd bulls. As I am sure you know, if too many mature bulls are taken out of a herd it will have a negative impact on the overall population of the herd. Which This in turn means less fewer bulls to breed the cows, which means less fewer calves. If this trend of killing far more bulls than are need necessary continues, then it is my belief that the Clockum herd could face underpopulation issues in the near future. 

Thank you,

Brian Benham

These edits are just meant to be helpful.  It is clearly your letter, though, so use what you want and feel free to discard the rest. :)

For what it's worth, you might want to close with some sort of call to action.  Your first section talks about the problem (the dudes who are overharvesting) then why it's a problem (elk population problems) but then the letter just ends.  It might be better somehow to close with a plea to halt the overharvesting.

Just my  :twocents: :)

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »
I agree it needs a call to action to hold their members accountable to what their own laws are.

Online Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 11:07:16 AM »
NW hunter= You really do need to give the location of this campsite away, not to us hunters but to one of the major media outlets over here in the cesspool called Seattle.  LEt them shoot some video, run a little feature story on the "substance" hunting of only large mature herd bulls and see if that gets the tribes attention.  I think it would.  With all the uproar going on about hunting now this might be the best time to shed some light on this situation.  Something needs to be done and although I think letters are good I don't think they have the effect that some major news coverage would get.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 11:13:16 AM »
I don't know the complete history but I think I've heard something abotu how a federal court simply told the WDFW or states that they have to let the alcoholic Indians poach as many animals as they want/can.  Does that just apply to the area under the 9th Circuit or other areas as well?  May keep that in mind when considering a move to a state where people and animals are both accorded the appropriate rights and responsibilities.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal