collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: bull moose territory  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
bull moose territory
« on: September 18, 2008, 08:38:56 PM »
I do not know much about moose. As most of you know my brother and I drew Huckleberry Range moose tags for this year. I have done two scouting trips and will not have the chance to do another before the season starts. I am also a winemaker and we will start the grape harvest next week so it is not looking good for me to be able to hunt moose until mid November when the grape harvest winds down.

On my first scouting trip the first weekend in August I saw one bull. When I went back up there this last weekend I saw 10 bulls. I checked the spot where I had seen the first bull in early August and there were fresh beds and piles of moose droppings in the same spot. So that bull is still hanging in his same spot though I did not see him this second scouting trip.

Anyway if I do get a chance to go up the first few days of the season should I expect to see bulls in the same places in general that I saw them this last weekend? How much do the bulls move around during the rut? It seems from what I have learned thus far about moose that they do not form harems of cows like elk do but instead tend to focus on one cow and get her bred before moving on to find another cow that is ready to be bred. Is that correct? If so then perhaps the bulls are really on the move searching for receptive cows and one cannot expect to find any given bull again in the same area. I just have no idea.

If I do not get up there until mid November should I look for bulls in the same areas I found them in mid September (assuming that snow has not forced them to move to lower elevations)? In mid November if they have not moved to lower ground and I see one from afar and could not get to it that day would I likely find it in the same general area the next day or days?

I hope you understand my questions and what I am trying to learn. Basically how much and when and why do the bulls move from one area to another. Thanks, Brian.

Offline andrew_12gauge

• Sourdough
Re: bull moose territory
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:39:03 PM »
i know that last year in october my friend spotted his moose the night before season opened went back to the same spot the next day and shot his moose within a half hour of first light

Offline chukarchaser

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:20:04 PM »
I have had the opportunity to hunt moose a few times on this state.  in my opinion, the bulls should be in the same general area in early Oct as they where in Sept.  Moose are one of the few animals that search the snow line out.  By that I mean you are more apt to find them above the snow line than below.  At least that is my  :twocents:.

If I had limited time I would hunt the first week of the season for the rut, but that is just me.   

Offline SHANE(WA)

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:30:48 PM »
Moose seek snow, it gets them higher up to reach browse. We snowmobile alot and always see lots of moose in deep snow and always wonder why they dont move down, I read a article somewhere saying they go up.

Offline BellBoy08

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »
I found 10 cows and no bulls this last weekend. I know as much as you do when it comes to Bulls, I did find what looks like a wallow like elk use, do Moose use them like elk??? I have heard form most of the timber cutters in the area that the moose head up in snow not down. It seems they see moose everyday and lots of bulls, I was thinking if I dressed up like a logger and drove a hundred miles an hour into the woods I might see some too. I too have the first 4 days and due to work related appointments, or lack of understanding from the boss, have to wait till early November. It has been great getting information from all the members here where the moose hang out. Maybe it's just my luck I haven't seen any bulls worthy of an arrow yet???

Offline 300wsm

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 02:31:03 PM »
I think they will hang in a general area, maybe move a little.  The one thing you will have in your favor in November is that all the leaves will have dropped making it much easier to find moose.  Enjoy your wine making and then go shoot a nice bull in November. :brew:
My Sweat, My Blood, Your Tears!

Offline elkaholic

• Longhunter
  • Brokenleg elk
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 02:35:55 PM »
Pm miles or myself.  You iwll get your moose in November!

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 02:38:40 PM »
I think they will hang in a general area, maybe move a little.  The one thing you will have in your favor in November is that all the leaves will have dropped making it much easier to find moose.  Enjoy your wine making and then go shoot a nice bull in November. :brew:

Aside from that it will be much cooler in November and not so critical you get them out in a hurry or at least not like you would in the heat of early October  :twocents:
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 02:55:18 PM »
My wife will make it easier for both of you and just tag out opening morning on a 150 bull :chuckle: that way you will have less competition in November! :IBCOOL:

Offline Blackfoot

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »
From my experience, October and November would be the best months to find them.  The bulls frequently group up in brushy clearcuts that time of year, and tend to stay in the same area for quite a while.  Good luck!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal