collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 16 gauge Help  (Read 6962 times)

Offline CementFinisher

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
16 gauge Help
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
I've never been duck hunting and have a newer hunter who wants me to help them get into it, since I've taught them to hunt big and small game. They want to stick with a 16 gauge probably 2 3/4 shells. so my question is with that ammunition and also with function, what barrel length would you recommend, 24, 26, 28?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: 16 gauge Help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:57:55 PM »
It kind of depends if the gun is a double barrel or a pump/semi-auto. With a double barrel you don't have the extra receiver length, which is around 3 inches. So a pump or auto has a longer sighting plane than a double with the same length barrel. For that reason I like 28 inch minimum on a double barrel, and 26 for a pump or semi auto. For duck hunting I would still prefer a 28 even with the pump or auto. It just makes the longer shots a little easier to make. There's no significant difference ballistically.

Offline CementFinisher

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:35:39 PM »
its the browning bps hunter 16 gauge.  DO you find the 28 barrel being slow to shoulder or getting in the way of blinds?

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:15:58 PM »
No its not slower nor does it get in the way hunting in a blind. 28in is the way to go. You get a better pattern at longer distance with the longer barrel. I have 12g's in 26 to 30in with 1 3/4" extended choke tubes. But if your going to use the 16g for big game and duck. I would get it in 28in barrel.  :tup:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:02:52 PM by bear hunter »
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline CementFinisher

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
Thanks guys. this is what makes this site great!

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • Sourdough
    • Danny A Alvarez
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »
If they are going the hunt big game I would use buck shot #1 ,0,or 00 buck. The max distance for best pattern is around 35 yards or so. If you do shoot passed 30 yards you must be ready to shoot and shoot again.  Animal that are shot with buck shot don't leave much of a blood trail. I always try to put two rounds in my animal so he wouldn't run off. I would practise with chokes,buck shot size,and slugs at diffant distances. To get use to how the shotgun patterns. Good luck I have been hunting deer with a shot gun for 18 years and we have taken 70+ deer of the islands. I have seen to many people not flow up a 2nd shot after the deer dropped and jumped up. Then ran off with no blood to track. That's why I shoot and with out even thinking about it. I pump the shotgun for a 2nd shot so if the deer jumps. I am ready to shoot again to finish him off. Hope that helps. Also 1 pellet of 00 buck puts out about 204 foot pound of energy at the muzzle. So One pellet hitting a deer not going to knock him down. So the more pellets on target the better. If you get 9 pellets in the chest of a deer. That's 204 ftp x 9= 1836 ftp energy. So do the math the more pellets on target the better. I like to find shot shells 2 3/4 that have 12 to 15 pellets in them but 9 pellets will work.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 03:36:12 PM by bear hunter »

Offline CementFinisher

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
it will be for waterfowl only

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • Sourdough
    • Danny A Alvarez
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »
Then I would use steel 4 shot over decoys and 2,1, to BB for pass shooting. For me I use 4's 1's and BB's for waterfowl.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 03:53:14 PM »
#5 kent tungsten matrix out a 16 is deadly on ducks.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:36 AM »
#5 kent tungsten matrix out a 16 is deadly on ducks.

+1

TM may be expensive, but you shoot half as many shells because they are so much more effective.  My last time out I got 6 ducks with 12 shots using Kent TM.  Good luck doing that with steel.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:11 AM »
Where are you finding 16ga. ammo? :dunno: Whenever I go to Sportsman Whorehouse they don't have it. Never seen any anywhere.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:48:56 PM »
Where are you finding 16ga. ammo? :dunno: Whenever I go to Sportsman *censored*house they don't have it. Never seen any anywhere.

Cabelas, SKAGIT, Kesserlings has 16 gauge ammo.  Or order it through Rodgers Sporting Goods and it will ship for free and be on your door step in 3-4 days.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline good2go

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »
I'm guessing that is a fixed choke gun. Not knowing what the choke restriction is the only thing i have to say is don't push steel shot through a full choke. There is a good chance of damaging the gun. Also if the gun is old enough the barrel may not be proofed for the high pressures of the high velocity steel.

I just went over the post again. For some reason I thought you were talking about an A5, my mistake. Still good points if it's an older gun though.

Without a doubt a .16 will put them down just fine.

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 08:05:22 AM »
Where are you finding 16ga. ammo? :dunno: Whenever I go to Sportsman *censored*house they don't have it. Never seen any anywhere.

If you can use a computer, you can find 16ga ammo from a myriad of sources.  Even so, I see it in almost every shop I go to.  Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of the 16ga society:  www.16ga.com

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 08:18:44 AM »
Since you're asking about barrel lengths, I'm guessing that this will be a new shotgun.  Don't know where you would go and have a choice of USED 16 gauge guns.
That said, I'm interested in why your new to hunting friend is sold on a gauge that is gasping?

Don't get me wrong, sweet 16 is a great gauge.  But if you're starting out, why pigeon hole yourself into a small handful of loadings that will always be hard to find?  I have a neat little 28 that I use for upland birds and dog training.  It's a fine gauge but like the 16.  She is tough to find shells to feed her, there are no bargain practice shells and with lead bans looming she is not able to play on a lot of this states land. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal