collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wild Edible and Medicinal Plant Guide?  (Read 9751 times)

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Wild Edible and Medicinal Plant Guide?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2013, 11:51:21 AM »
Also Smossy, You might check around your area. My Mushroon club is having our annual Spring greens foray's starting very soon. There in Kitsap county but you may find some clubs around your area doing the same...

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2013, 12:17:41 PM »
Also Smossy, You might check around your area. My Mushroon club is having our annual Spring greens foray's starting very soon. There in Kitsap county but you may find some clubs around your area doing the same...
A mushroom club? That sounds interesting..
What exactly does it consist of? I always love to learn other ways I can live off the land  :tup:
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
This looks like your closest club.
http://www.southsoundmushroomclub.com/Home

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 12:35:45 PM »
This looks like your closest club.
http://www.southsoundmushroomclub.com/Home
You know, I just might give that a try, me and my lady both love to eat mushrooms. I think this could be an interesting experience..
I retired the magic ones years ago though o.O hope none of those are involved.  :tinfoil:

Offline wildmanoutdoors

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 12:41:51 PM »
Its cheap and forays are really fun! You will notice odd people in Mushroom clubs. Lol They may not have retired the "funny" shrooms. But thats not at all what these clubs are about.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »
Its cheap and forays are really fun! You will notice odd people in Mushroom clubs. Lol They may not have retired the "funny" shrooms. But thats not at all what these clubs are about.
lol Might be worth the $6 bucks just to see all the people out there feeding Doritos to tree's :chuckle:

Offline Northway

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »
I sell wild foods for a living. The best guide out there for the Pacific NW is Discovering Wild plants by Janice Schofield. Hands down.

Do you ship?

There's a group of people (Foraged and Found), who I buy huckleberries, mushrooms, truffles, fiddleheads, etc. from, but I don't often have time to consistently go to the farmer's market in Ballard to visit their stand.

I was actually derided by someone recently for buying huckleberries; she accused me of taking food from black bears. I told her that I would take her criticism under consideration.
Which side are you on if neither will claim you?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »
Thats funny!  :yeah:  This coming from someone who likey gets all thier food from a store!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 01:44:34 PM »
I sell wild foods for a living. The best guide out there for the Pacific NW is Discovering Wild plants by Janice Schofield. Hands down.

Do you ship?

There's a group of people (Foraged and Found), who I buy huckleberries, mushrooms, truffles, fiddleheads, etc. from, but I don't often have time to consistently go to the farmer's market in Ballard to visit their stand.

I was actually derided by someone recently for buying huckleberries; she accused me of taking food from black bears. I told her that I would take her criticism under consideration.

Only to restaurants
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »

Hahah.. oh man, I'd of been a smart ___ and said "well I'd eat that black bear too if I could find it!"

Offline Hawgdawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »
Meeting tonight.

South Sound Mushroom Club

Don't forget tonight's meeting: "Must have mushrooms and how to identify them" will be the topic, presented by Chris Herrera. Details and directions at our website: www.southsoundmushroomclub.com

Offline Northway

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »

Do you ship?

Only to restaurants

Well I suppose you can't have too much contempt for Seattle & Portland with all the forest to table/farm to table restaurants that have blown up in those cities over the last few years......

Some folks will really fork over the coin at those restaurants where they proudly announce, "Everything you will eat tonight came from within 150 miles of your table". 
Which side are you on if neither will claim you?

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »

Do you ship?

Only to restaurants

Well I suppose you can't have too much contempt for Seattle & Portland with all the forest to table/farm to table restaurants that have blown up in those cities over the last few years......

Some folks will really fork over the coin at those restaurants where they proudly announce, "Everything you will eat tonight came from within 150 miles of your table".

Why any contempt? Foraged foods are abundant and sustainable. Bears are at carrying capacity statewide. No one's taking food out of their mouths.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »
Smossy I have a good one but I loaned it to my uncle.  I cant remember its title but I will get it back and pm you.  It is a soft cover, waterproof illustrated thick book which covers all grasses trees shrooms bush etc and even speaks of the Natives uses of plants.  Very good written by two professors here and oregon I think.  I got it from amazon for 25$ few years ago.  You would like it.  I like to carry it in my pack and consider it an emergency tool.  We could survive with no supplies if we had this knowledge in our heads.  Medicinal uses are covered too.  :tup:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »
mudman, when you get the title of the book post it up. im sure others would be interested as i am

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal