collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Beaver Problem  (Read 4634 times)

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Beaver Problem
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »
There's a beaver on my parent's property that has built a damn in a series of drainage ditches that is preventing the property from draining properly.

We've torn up the damn but it doesn't take long for the beaver to rebuild.   :bash:

I would like the beaver gone, and am in the process of filling out an application for a permit to trap the animal, since I can't just shoot it.  But I have no trapping experience outside of rats in the Frat-house.

One of the questions asks which non-lethal methods have been used thus far...

Electric Fencing
Guard Animal
Other Fencing
Live Trap
Hazing
Other

The only two of these I would think applies to beavers would be live trapping and hazing?  The WDFW doesn't expect me to build fences to keep a beaver off my property does it?  :dunno:  The thing lives in the water.

Can you live-trap a beaver?  Seems like trapping a beaver underwater would drown it.

Hazing - I assume this just means constant harassment to get the beaver to move on.  Not sure if this would work or not, but I think breaking up the dam with a backhoe counts as hazing.

Also, I need to decide the method I'll use.  I assume the connibear trap would be the standard and most humane method?  Other methods would be padded foothold and non-strangling snare.  I need to know which is best for beaver so I can submit the application.  I'll figure out the logistics of procuring the traps if the permit is issued.

Thanks for the help all!

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
Re: Beaver Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »
Save yourself some time and money and just hire one of the local nuisance trappers. They'll take care of everything involved.   :twocents:  I'd do it if it were closer to me.
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »
Id like to get my license so I can get some beavers too, they are good eatin!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
Live trap is a bit of a misnomer. You can legally use a cage or box trap without the permit. It doesn't matter if it drowns the beaver. It is about the type of trap. That is one alternative method. Fencing for beaver would be if you put wire around trees to keep the beaver from cutting them. I don't think hazing would apply. Electric fence and guard dogs, you could use but I take it not in the cards.

On the methods, you can choose multiple methods. Most mark conibears and padded jaw traps for beaver problems.

You need more help then this. You need to talk to an experienced trapper at the least.
Do this before you send the permit in. The permits are only good for 30 days.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 02:40:26 PM »

Make sure you cook 'em well enough. Beaver carries trichinosis, most commonly associated with undercooked pork. Beavers are infested with these parasites and they can really ruin your day, week, month, or year.

No for some other rules about eating beaver,...Never mind. :yike: :yike:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
Get ahold of uncle Si Robertson !

The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »
gotta blow something up, jack!

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »
bahahahaa!!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »
Are you located in a no-shooting zone?
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »

Make sure you cook 'em well enough. Beaver carries trichinosis, most commonly associated with undercooked pork. Beavers are infested with these parasites and they can really ruin your day, week, month, or year.

No for some other rules about eating beaver,...Never mind. :yike: :yike:

Never heard that before. I'd have to see a little evidence. They do carry tularemia. Transmittable through breaks in your skin. Yes to the well cooked though, not advocating beaver sushi.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »
My deceased cousin dealt with this for years on end.  All I can say is dont tell gov. or tree huggers about anything or you will regret it.  Killing them will only buy you time.  When you get rid of em more will come.  There is somewhere close that they are breeding and you will constantly get new young beavs looking for territory.  Get a GOOD dog that will keep em away.  They will simply move on down stream.  If your lucky.  Chesapeak ret. can be pretty brutal? :twocents:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
My deceased cousin dealt with this for years on end.  All I can say is dont tell gov. or tree huggers about anything or you will regret it.  Killing them will only buy you time.  When you get rid of em more will come.  There is somewhere close that they are breeding and you will constantly get new young beavs looking for territory.  Get a GOOD dog that will keep em away.  They will simply move on down stream.  If your lucky.  Chesapeak ret. can be pretty brutal? :twocents:

Or make friends with a trapper and give him free reign, problem solved.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline acnewman55

• HWY 2 Hermit
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »
Don't see why I can't just shoot him if he's being a nuisance or causing damage.

Offline brokenvet

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, Marlin Owners, M14forum
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 12:00:39 AM »
You do not have to blast him, just a little sniping with the whisper will do.
Semper FI

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" -Adolf Hitler,1935"

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 12:26:20 AM »
Don't see why I can't just shoot him if he's being a nuisance or causing damage.

You can if it is your property and the beaver are causing damage. That is not as easy as you might think though.
 A little story: I was trapping in Oregon out of Newport. I don't remeber how the guy contacted me but I get a call from a guy that had beaver problems. I go to his address and the driveway crossed the creek on the way to his house. Beaver had the dreek dammed and his hay field flooded. I noticed as I crossed the creek a chair attached in a tree along the creek. When I talked to the guy I asked him what the deal with the chair was. He said he would go down every evening and sit in his tree stand 'till dark hopeing to shoot the beaver. I asked how that was working out. He had killed two beaver in something like 300 nights. I think I caught around 24 beaver there over about a two week period.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal