collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone ever hike to Camp Muir or to the Summit of Mt. Rainier?  (Read 14052 times)

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
Whats it like?  :dunno:
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline Fishaholic

• Master pintsmen =)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Anyone ever hike to Camp Muir or to the Summit of Mt. Rainier?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 04:51:03 PM »
My wife and I made it half way up.  I got pics of it on my facebook. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon.
30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

Offline clindsayrun

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:54:15 PM »
Been up to both a couple of times. Camp Muir is a little bunk house, also has an emergency radio for contacting the rangers.
I slept in it one January. It works, but I prefer a tent.

Long slow hike up and the altitude gets some people. If you don't do much climbing/mountaineering I'd recommend trying for Muir before you book a summit attempt.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »
Been up to both a couple of times. Camp Muir is a little bunk house, also has an emergency radio for contacting the rangers.
I slept in it one January. It works, but I prefer a tent.

Long slow hike up and the altitude gets some people. If you don't do much climbing/mountaineering I'd recommend trying for Muir before you book a summit attempt.
Well I just conquered St Helens 2 days ago and now Im all for getting on all the peaks in the state.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Anyone ever hike to Camp Muir or to the Summit of Mt. Rainier?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »
Camp Muir I think is no big deal relative to St Helens or Adams. I could be wrong there as I've not been up there. Summit of Rainier...depends what kind of shape you're in. My little bro was an ironman competitor, 4:45 mile runner, etc. summited Rainier and said it was a breeze. Once you're above 10k though, if the altitude is going to bother you, it doesn't matter what shape you're in. I'm not in great shape but I can hold my own in the mountains. Adams was pretty hard but not horrible. It's the only time I've been above 10k hiking. I was more bothered at the lunch counter than I was at the summit, or at pikers peak. I had no appetite at the lunch counter(9500').
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
Yes, and yes.

Be forewarned: Rainier is a long slog of a mountain, both going up and especially coming down.  The vertical climb is what you expect, but the horizontal walk is true drudgery--especially the downclimb in the warm summer sunshine, as the snow rots (melts), and each step will sink you 12 to 18 inches in slop.

The climb to Camp Muir is not hard.  The summit attempt above that is also relatively easy, but not to be attempted without either a guide, an experienced partner, or lots of experience on the part of the climber.

You will find valuable information on Rainier (and all of the other major and minor climbs in Washington) at www.cascadeclimbers.com  If you are serious about climbing the peaks of this state, register at that site and make some friends.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »
Yes, and yes.

Be forewarned: Rainier is a long slog of a mountain, both going up and especially coming down.  The vertical climb is what you expect, but the horizontal walk is true drudgery--especially the downclimb in the warm summer sunshine, as the snow rots (melts), and each step will sink you 12 to 18 inches in slop.

The climb to Camp Muir is not hard.  The summit attempt above that is also relatively easy, but not to be attempted without either a guide, an experienced partner, or lots of experience on the part of the climber.

You will find valuable information on Rainier (and all of the other major and minor climbs in Washington) at www.cascadeclimbers.com  If you are serious about climbing the peaks of this state, register at that site and make some friends.
Yeah It was like that near the top of st helens to, every other step I sunk about 2 feet in fresh snow because of the heat. One of the reasons it was so rough. Plus my trekking pole disks are tiny so It was hard to pull myself out alot of the time.
Just trying to find things to do to make life alittle more interesting ya know.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »
In my limited experience in this field I've learned you've got to take rotting snow into consideration. As in start early so you're walking up on frozen snow. Walk down ASAP to reduce the melting snow factor.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »
In my limited experience in this field I've learned you've got to take rotting snow into consideration. As in start early so you're walking up on frozen snow. Walk down ASAP to reduce the melting snow factor.
Id be glissading down at-least half of it but I get what your saying. Ive been trying to read up on the topic. If Everest wasn't 30grand to do I work my way up there :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 07:57:10 PM »
You need to do Adams if you have overnight gear. Mid July. You can rent everything reasonably cheap. I think that's your next step. I think it's less technical than St. Helens but further maybe? With more vertical gain. Just a long snow filled hike. Start running and build cardio and legs.

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »
St Helen's is nothing compared to Rainier where proper training, knowledge, and technique are needed. Getting to Camp Muir is a good first step, but beyond there you need experience, knowledge, equipment, and the know how to use the equipment should someone take a fall.

Already this year they are placing bridges across crevasses on the DC route. Here is one of the best sources for info and current conditions. Whatever you do don't just think you are going to climb it,mt he rangers will laugh at you and turn you around.

http://www.mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »
And the DC route is the "easy" route too if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »
St Helen's is nothing compared to Rainier where proper training, knowledge, and technique are needed. Getting to Camp Muir is a good first step, but beyond there you need experience, knowledge, equipment, and the know how to use the equipment should someone take a fall.

Already this year they are placing bridges across crevasses on the DC route. Here is one of the best sources for info and current conditions. Whatever you do don't just think you are going to climb it,mt he rangers will laugh at you and turn you around.

http://www.mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/
Thanks for the info.

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 08:00:55 AM »
And the DC route is the "easy" route too if I'm not mistaken.

That is correct

Offline Fishaholic

• Master pintsmen =)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »
If I have the chance I am going to get to the top of colonel bob this summer.
30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal