collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: shotguns?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
shotguns?
« on: November 18, 2008, 02:18:54 PM »
just curious if any of you use a 410 for phesants or quail or w/e

i have a single shot 20g and a double barrel 410 and i would like to hunt upland birds. id much rather use the 410 if possible (2 shots is better then 1). ive killed grouse with the 410 out to 50yds but that pushing it. and i really have no idea what the average shot distance is for flying birds.

Offline Intruder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: shotguns?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »
I've hunted quail with a .410 quite a bit.  There fine out to about 20 yards.  While you certainly can kill pheasants with them it's not a great choice. 

Biggest concern with a .410 is adequate pattern density.  Most .410s have a full choke which really isn't ideal for shooting close range.  Additionally, it is tough to find 8 shot in 3" shells.  You usually have to settle for 7.5s which again effects your pattern density.

Ideal for the .410 is I/C or SK shooting 8s.  7.5s aren't too bad but would probably shoot better out of Mod or I/C... not as well in SK.   

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 02:32:08 PM »
just curious if any of you use a 410 for phesants or quail or w/e

i have a single shot 20g and a double barrel 410 and i would like to hunt upland birds. id much rather use the 410 if possible (2 shots is better then 1). ive killed grouse with the 410 out to 50yds but that pushing it. and i really have no idea what the average shot distance is for flying birds.

I got a 410 bolt I shoot quail,grouse. just get on them quicker,

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 02:34:50 PM »
yeah its a full choke. i usually shoot 2.5" #6 shot for grouse while hunting deer. shots are always under 30yds. but i have taken some 50yd shots just to see if it can be done. which i could be done.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:37:36 PM »
I'd highly suggest patterning the gun with different loads.  Usually with a .410 it isn't hard to see load will perform best.  Remember, with quail shot size isn't nearly as important as pattern density. 

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »
how far should i shoot from to see my pattern? and what should i be looking for in a pattern at a given distance say 20yds?

my main concern is that if i have a good tight pattern at 10yds, and 20yds. how much will it open up after 20yds?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 09:40:15 PM »
my main concern is that if i have a good tight pattern at 10yds, and 20yds. how much will it open up after 20yds?

a lot...shoot a patterning board.

guys are shooting sporting clays all the time with 28 and .410 gauges with decent success, but there's a lot more to effectively killing pheasants than there is to breaking clays.
what kind of .410 is it?

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:48:08 AM »
you CAN do it. my dad grew up in southern ID and he killed many many pheasants and huns with his 410, HOWEVER you are gonna need a goo dog as your number of cripples is sureto go up.

shoot you pattern board at the distance you plan to shoot. typically SxS guns are regulated to a given distance ie, they might hit left of sight to 20 yds, right on from 20-30 and start going right of sight beyond that.

Offline bankwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »

a lot...shoot a patterning board.

guys are shooting sporting clays all the time with 28 and .410 gauges with decent success, but there's a lot more to effectively killing pheasants than there is to breaking clays.
what kind of .410 is it?

its a steven side by side.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal