collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pheasant hunting without a dog?  (Read 6514 times)

Offline andrewfreeman15

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Pheasant hunting without a dog?
« on: October 26, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »
Is there anyway to pheasant hunt without a  dog and be at least mildly successful? I'm in college and there is no way I can have a hunting dog with me, she's back home.

Offline MC37493

• Hunter
  • Groups: DU,STS, RMEF, Pheasants Forever
Re: Pheasant hunting without a dog?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »
You could do it on a release site with success if you want to march out with everyone, don't think you would have much luck with wild birds they will even fool a good dog sometimes.

Offline Bmcox86

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • One in hand is better than two in the bush
    • Setter Stickers
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »
If you do try a release site, don't pick someone with a dog and follow behind them 20 yards and match them move for move. I've had that happen to me two times so far this year it's aggravating.

If you march out with everyone find a good spot to stand and get ready when everyone starts shooting, the big groups usually miss a lot and watch where they land.
Semper Paratus

Beretta White Wing 12ga Approx 20k rounds and still going strong!
Tikka t3 light 300wm

http://likeablaze.wordpress.com

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 07:35:05 PM »
If you do try a release site, don't pick someone with a dog and follow behind them 20 yards and match them move for move. I've had that happen to me two times so far this year it's aggravating.

If you march out with everyone find a good spot to stand and get ready when everyone starts shooting, the big groups usually miss a lot and watch where they land.

Or, get out there early and introduce yourself to some of the folks who have a dog and may be hunting alone.  See if you can tag along.  Offer to take the backseat on points or flushes, etc.  I bet you would have some success.

Offline GoBeavs85

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 08:13:10 PM »

Or, get out there early and introduce yourself to some of the folks who have a dog and may be hunting alone.  See if you can tag along.  Offer to take the backseat on points or flushes, etc.  I bet you would have some success.

Another strategy might be to go knock farmers doors and scout out some great spots. Play the "young poor college kid" card and see if that softens some hearts and opens some doors. Probably won't have much success bagging birds at first but you can probably see some flushed out of range or birds out in fields etc.

Once you have a good spot to hunt I bet you could get a list of dog owners lining up to go hunt with you. This way you bring something very valuable to the equation. This depends on where you live and how much time you have.

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:19:20 PM »
Yes it can be done! We use to all the time back when in college. Once we had 6 birds we would have a feast where all got a bird. Just plan on walking a lot. Enjoy.

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »
I do it all the time. A lot of walking. I usually zig zag back and forth and have good luck kicking up birds. Mostly hunt the draws in the wheat fields on the eastern part of the state. I wanted to get a bird dog but am allergic.

Offline Labs07

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 08:27:43 AM »
Borrow some neighbor kids and promise them free lunch.  Get them into the brush and have them "bird dog" for you.  My dad and grandpa did this to me and my brother all the time when we were kids and did not have a bird dog.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »
Hunt right after several inches of snow fall.  Follow the tracks with your eyes, like a dog follows the scent with his nose.  FWIW, chukars and forest grouse are the two best birds to hunt w/o a dog.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 08:34:26 AM »
Some great suggestions on here. I've gone out just to walk the fields on a release site and haven't had great luck. Even if you're lucky enough to kick one up, you still have to find it after it falls. Tough hunting but a nice walk.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 09:04:49 AM »
I’ve hunted many years without a dog it can be done successfully.  Here are some techniques that have worked for me:

Post-up and let other hunters flush birds and sometimes they will fly your way.

Walking:
Look for pheasants on the ground as you move.  Roosters like to stick their heads up and get at look at what’s coming their way.  Being brightly colored they are easy to spot.  Look for their heads.  Once spotted they will either run, flush or sit tight, move toward them, quickly.  They can outrun you but eventually they will stop and hide or flush.  Once you are near them walk slowly and stop frequently.  Most flushes will come when you stop.  It messes with their mind when you stop near them.   Use the same technique when you don’t see the bird first.  Walk, stop, walk, stop etc.

You will walk past many birds.  A smart bird will circle behind you and flush out of range.  They do that to dogs as well so don’t let it bother you.

When a bird flushes there is a good chance that there are more birds that didn’t flush.  Be ready.

Once you shoot a bird make sure it is dead.   Shoot it again if it is winged or not dropping like a wet towel.  A winged bird is very difficult to find without a dog.  Also do not take your eyes off the spot where a bird falls.  Move to it quickly and ignore all distractions (like other flushes).  Do not be tempted to shoot a double.

Just get out and do it.  You will learn as you go.

Offline Don Fischer

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
Why in the world would you even think of bird hunting without a dog? That is uncivilized! lol Truthfully, if I didn't have a dog, I would not hunt birds! maybe you have a friend with a dog you could go with.
There's a reason I like dog's more than people

Offline goosegetter79

• YAR Member
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 05:58:59 PM »
Also when walking stop every 30-40 yards for a few seconds it will make birds get nervous and flush. Good luck!!!!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline MP123

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 10:22:25 AM »
Finding a bird and shooting it is just the first step.  Then you have to recover it and that can be very hard without a dog since birds blend in so well.  It can be done and by all means give it a try but don't get your hopes too high.  It can still be pretty challenging even with a good dog.

Offline GoBeavs85

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »
Lost two wounded birds yesterday and I have a dog. So frustrating. We just went home after loosing the second one. We were in cover so thick it made recovery apparently too difficult.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]