collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Charcuterie  (Read 61366 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Charcuterie
« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2021, 04:42:55 PM »
What brand is that knife Stein? Japanese right?

Yep, hand made the old way in Japan and I love it for sushi but found it to work equally well slicing paper thin pork.  I have their deba as well for fileting fish.

https://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=9323

Offline Stein

• Old Salt
« Reply #271 on: October 22, 2021, 11:34:33 AM »
Time to drag this thread back up from the bottom of the deck now it's fall and lots of guys have or will have meat for cool projects.

I took my first step into salami, I have to admit it's not a comfortable feeling putting raw pork in a chamber at 80 degrees for 36 hours..

Early morning to get the fermentation time right, sure smells good.  It should be ready just in time for deer camp, it has both deer and antelope in there, the antelope is from the same ground we'll hunt this year.

I used Hank Shaw's landjaegar recipe for the most part and double checked with a couple other sources.  Fermented 36 hours, cold smoked 2 hours and now in the drying chamber.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:39:57 AM by Stein »

Online LDennis24

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #272 on: October 22, 2021, 01:33:54 PM »
 :drool:

Offline IFunk

• Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, TBOW
« Reply #273 on: October 22, 2021, 04:32:17 PM »
Time to drag this thread back up from the bottom of the deck now it's fall and lots of guys have or will have meat for cool projects.

I took my first step into salami, I have to admit it's not a comfortable feeling putting raw pork in a chamber at 80 degrees for 36 hours..

Early morning to get the fermentation time right, sure smells good.  It should be ready just in time for deer camp, it has both deer and antelope in there, the antelope is from the same ground we'll hunt this year.

I used Hank Shaw's landjaegar recipe for the most part and double checked with a couple other sources.  Fermented 36 hours, cold smoked 2 hours and now in the drying chamber.

Looks excellent!  I love Hank Shaw's smoked salmon recipe.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2021, 01:09:36 PM »

Sweet! Isn't that sour smell of fermentation awesome?

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Hunter
« Reply #275 on: October 24, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »
Would love to hear how it turns out Stein. I am 1 for 3 with Hank's  LJ recipe. All were edible, but the ones in larger casings were less palatable. Chalk it up to my own inexperience, but the things I will do next time are: only use the narrower casings, cure longer, use a pH meter

Offline Stein

• Old Salt
« Reply #276 on: October 25, 2021, 10:53:16 AM »
Would love to hear how it turns out Stein. I am 1 for 3 with Hank's  LJ recipe. All were edible, but the ones in larger casings were less palatable. Chalk it up to my own inexperience, but the things I will do next time are: only use the narrower casings, cure longer, use a pH meter

Yeah, seems like you really need the meter for repeatable results but the cost coupled with the maintenance and lifespan put it out of range for me for a while.

I was tempted to stuff them in a smaller case, I had these on hand and just left them fairly loose.  They are also a bit higher on fat percentage as I didn't have lean pork on hand so it's a combo of venison, fatty pork and backfat.  I also ground it all through the final plate instead of only half as I don't like super chunky salami for the most part.

AP, the smell is funky for sure, especially when it's your first uncooked pork sausage.

Shaw's recipes seem to be top notch, I ran a comparison with his salumi against the well known books and his was hands down my favorite.  Hopefully this will be the same.  I did only make a fairly small batch, so we'll see.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #277 on: October 27, 2021, 07:27:09 AM »

Yeah, seems like you really need the meter for repeatable results but the cost coupled with the maintenance and lifespan put it out of range for me for a while.

I was tempted to stuff them in a smaller case, I had these on hand and just left them fairly loose.  They are also a bit higher on fat percentage as I didn't have lean pork on hand so it's a combo of venison, fatty pork and backfat.  I also ground it all through the final plate instead of only half as I don't like super chunky salami for the most part.

AP, the smell is funky for sure, especially when it's your first uncooked pork sausage.

Shaw's recipes seem to be top notch, I ran a comparison with his salumi against the well known books and his was hands down my favorite.  Hopefully this will be the same.  I did only make a fairly small batch, so we'll see.

I've got a decent amount of experience, and have never felt the need/ desire for a meter.

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2021, 03:03:51 PM »
I find I have to press them before drying to make them more uniform for better mouth feel.  Looks great Stein.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Hunter
« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2021, 04:37:23 PM »
I'm glad to see this topic bounce back up. How did the LJ turn out Stein? What was your total time in the chamber? Or, is it still curing?

Per Angry Perch's comment about the pH meter, I'd certainly prefer not to buy one but the two batches I made in larger casings were soft centered. Thinking a pH meter would standardize at least this part of the process.

Any chance one of you more knowledgeable guys are willing to help me diagnose this? I'm putting in an for order for supplies here soon and planning to make LJ, kabanosy and maybe something else I haven't tried before.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

State Wildlife Areas? by Goshawk
[Today at 10:23:03 PM]

Chiwawa Archery by Rainier10
[Today at 10:22:14 PM]

Petition to bring back the spring bear hunt by idaho guy
[Today at 10:16:03 PM]

Totaled car insurance replacement value advice by jackelope
[Today at 10:13:44 PM]

Watch your super duty trucks!! by ghosthunter
[Today at 10:11:31 PM]