collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 15x binos or spotting scope  (Read 18114 times)

Offline muleyslayer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • I'd rather be hunting.
15x binos or spotting scope
« on: December 12, 2015, 03:25:34 PM »
I'm planning on buying high power binos or a spotting scope for next year's season. Eventually I will have both, but if you could only have one which one would it be? I'm looking at getting the vortex razor model or something made by Swarovski.

Offline Kurt_S

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: 15x binos or spotting scope
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 09:19:13 PM »
I would go with the spotting scope. 15x power binos are gonna need a tripod anyway so might as well have a spotter on it to judge antlers from a mile and a half away with the higher zoom.  Having both is ideal though.  My setup right now is a set of 12x50 on a tripod and a spotting scope.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 09:29:43 PM »
In not an expert in the make or magnification but between the two for one item to add to my hunting tool kit, I'd always lean toward a pair of quality binos sir.  Those brown patches during the hunt that need illumination/clarification outweigh the need for long distance scouting in my book. Just my 2 pennies.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:33:54 PM »
I bought a pair of Vortex Vultures.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 09:36:37 PM »
if you going buy 15 power binos your going to need a tripod to hold them still with that much magnification.

Offline muleyslayer

• Longhunter
  • I'd rather be hunting.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I already have a pair of 10x binos,and I realize the 15x binos would need a tripod. I'm just not sure what the next buy should be.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 09:53:49 PM »
I have 15x Swarovski SLC's, I love them, I use them mostly in my truck because they are heavy, a lighter pair of 10x binos is better in the field. If you have a steady hand or rest against something you see through the 15x just fine. You can put them on a tripod and use a doubler if you don't have a spotter. But if you are planning on hiking a lot with them I would get 10x binos fo pack on your neck and a spotter to put in your pack. I used to have a swarovski spotter but sold it because of it's weight, I got tired of toting it around. I love my Leupold 12x40 Gold Ring Spotter, it's hard to beat the compact and lightweight build of this spotter.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 10:10:13 PM »
For most country, I'd pick the 15's without a second thought. I haul mine all over, and the spotter rarely leaves the truck.  You WILL see more deer using 15's on a tripod than with a spotter or any sort of binos without a tripod.  I tried to deny this fact for many years and get by with 10's and a spotter, but eventually had to admit the truth that my buddies with the 15's were seeing more deer than me.  Now they don't.   

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 10:17:45 PM »
spotting scope works good for spot & stalk hunting.  Tripod makes a good gun rest.   :twocents:

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »
I love my spotter bino set up.  I turn my spotter sideway and rest my 12 power binos on top.  Very steady and I can glass large areas quickly.  Then go back to the spotter for longer range and get into the nitty gritty areas.  I use my spotter a lot, but obviously not as much as the binos.  Weight wise doesn't bother me so much, I strap the tripod and spotter to the backpack and go. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
A binocular is for finding game, a spotting scope is for looking at game. 

That is what a well known writer told me 25 years ago and I agree.  We have a pair of 15x56 SLC and they are so much better than a scope for locating game that it isn't even a close call.

Don't get me wrong, we have a couple nice spotting scopes and would not ever not want to have a scope available, but if it looking for game that big binocular is where it is at. 

You don't have to get the Swaro, the Vortex Kaibab is pretty close.  The Docter has less FOV, but the resolution is absolutely amazing.  Yes, higher than the SLC.  It sells for about a grand.

I don't have experience with any of the others.

I use a Manfrotto 55 Pro B, I think is what it is, with a Manfrotto angle bracket and the center column horizontal.  That way I can sit in my lawn chair and relax while looking through the binocular for hours. 

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:43:48 AM by JDHasty »

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »
I have 15x Swarovski SLC's, I love them, I use them mostly in my truck because they are heavy, a lighter pair of 10x binos is better in the field. If you have a steady hand or rest against something you see through the 15x just fine. You can put them on a tripod and use a doubler if you don't have a spotter. But if you are planning on hiking a lot with them I would get 10x binos fo pack on your neck and a spotter to put in your pack. I used to have a swarovski spotter but sold it because of it's weight, I got tired of toting it around. I love my Leupold 12x40 Gold Ring Spotter, it's hard to beat the compact and lightweight build of this spotter.

Me too.  I have a Razor 85 too, but it never leaves the truck.  The Leupold is pack able.  Actually the 15x56 SLC is not all that bad to hand hold or rest on your knees. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 09:41:52 AM »
For most country, I'd pick the 15's without a second thought. I haul mine all over, and the spotter rarely leaves the truck.  You WILL see more deer using 15's on a tripod than with a spotter or any sort of binos without a tripod.  I tried to deny this fact for many years and get by with 10's and a spotter, but eventually had to admit the truth that my buddies with the 15's were seeing more deer than me.  Now they don't.

There ya' have it. 

Offline higunner

• Hunter
  • Groups: rmef
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 06:49:09 PM »
I'm using Vortex Viper HD's. 15 power and love em. I carry the Vortex doubler with me which makes one side of the binos 30x in about two seconds. 

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 06:59:11 PM »
It depends on use. For locating game, the binoculars will serve you better in most (but not all) instances. For getting a close look at something you're already aware of a spotting scope has an edge simply due to higher magnification.

I have 10x binoculars, 15x binoculars, a 60mm spotting scope, and an 80mm spotting scope. I end up using the 10x binoculars and 60mm spotting scope the most.

If I had to choose only one of those, there's no question I would go with a quality 10x for all around use.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal