collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 15x binos or spotting scope  (Read 18113 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: 15x binos or spotting scope
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2016, 06:05:50 AM »
a few questions; I don't know much about optics, so these may be rudimentary.

1: seems to be a re-occurring theme in this thread that 15x binos and a tripod are the cats meow for finding game, and the spotter is more for detailed inspection of already found game. what is the benefit of the binos, rather then running the spotting scope at a lower power? field of view and eye strain were all I could come up with, but not sure if im missing something else.

2: most of the glass discussed here seems to be higher end, my budget wont allow for high end anything until I get my house purchased later this year, and possibly not for a couple years after that (to many toys on the wish list), when comparing lower end optics, do the same rules of thumb hold true? im talking 350-400$ for spotter or binocs. ive been pretty happy with my barska spotting scope at the range, and for some glassing, but I don't use it much, as im not hunting areas where its needed much. But I was considering purchasing a newer spotting scope to get better build and quality sometime in the near future.

3: Bean counter, you don't gotta answer this, but im curious what your job is  :dunno:
thanks all

1:  I have had the big SLC bino for a few years, for twenty-five years previous I would spot chucks and game mostly with my eight or ten power binocular or my 12-40x60 Leupold Ring spotter set at about 12-15 power.  Everyone just picks up so much more using the big binocular and I think the depth of field combined with sufficient power is what makes such a significant difference.  Eye strain, in my case, is significantly less.  When using a spotter I buy a dozen eye patches at the pharmacy early in the year and keep both eyes open and cover one with a patch.  Have been doing it that way for twenty-five plus years.  Field of view is sufficient in both, I think using binocular over spotting scope that it is easier to actually make use of the FOV you have available and that may help in finding animals.

2:  It is entirely possible to purchase quality optics at lower prices today.  Maybe a bit more than the price range you listed.  The big thing is to compare what you are looking at under field conditions.  Every optic performs "like a champ" in a well lit store.   

Good questions and good answers.  Mid level optics are superb compared to 20-30 years ago.

I have a friend who trains military snipers and uses the best optics money can buy.  He worked as a hunting guide for awhile in earlier years.  I asked him about optics, and he knows my interests and modest budget.  He told me that if my life is on the line, buy the best optics made, no matter what they cost.  For hunting, the difference between a $400-500 optic and one that costs 2-3 grand will seldom make the difference in getting game.  If you have the money you can enjoy the best but it's probably is not worth it for someone like me.  That's a personal choice, not necessarily for others.   Friends of mine have some superb Leica's etc. and they are very nice, but I haven't felt limited with my $400 Nikons.   Depends on how much discretionary money you have and what you want to spend it on. 

What I meant to say in response 1 is that a stereo view, 3D if you will, is what I attribute a lot of the increased ability to pick out animals to.  Also, I might add that some times I spend a full day behind optics for a full week, especially shooting chucks, but also when big game hunting to a lesser degree.  Eye strain is a huge factor after the first morning and the big binocular is just so much more comfortable to spend long hours behind than a spotting scope. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:05:42 AM by JDHasty »

Offline muleyslayer

• Longhunter
  • I'd rather be hunting.
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2016, 07:43:57 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys. I already have a pair of 10x 42 vortex viper binos. I bought the 15x kaibabs now I just need a good tripod to go with them. 2017 I will be getting a spotter.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2016, 07:57:21 PM »
Nice work, you won't be disappointed.   :tup:

Next up, a new tripod thread!   :chuckle:

Offline high country

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2016, 08:51:21 PM »
https://www.botach.com/brunton-81-230318-carbon-fiber-tripod-4-section-w-removeable-pan-head/

Throw the head away and buy a really right stuff, acraswiss, manny.....etc.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2016, 09:18:32 PM »
https://www.botach.com/brunton-81-230318-carbon-fiber-tripod-4-section-w-removeable-pan-head/

Throw the head away and buy a really right stuff, acraswiss, manny.....etc.

DO IT NOW, before it gets away.  Like tonight.  I needed a mid weight tripod and this will not happen again soon, maybe in your lifetime!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2016, 10:21:18 PM »
I posted that quick because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.  I like the Manfrotto 128RC, but the head is actually usable and once you have the tripod you have time to decide on other heads that may be the best fit for you and fit your budget.  But the "free" head is usable.

" I already have a pair of 10x 42 vortex viper binos. I bought the 15x kaibabs now I just need a good tripod to go with them. 2017 I will be getting a spotter."

You are so close to being where you will ever want to be!  Good job!!!  You got to within 2% of what a Razor would get you at 2/3 the cost and for half  the cost of what a Leica, Nikon EDG or Swaro would get you another 3%. 

My favorite (actually my "go to" binocular) binocular is a 6x32 Viper and we own Nikon EDG, Leica and Swaro optics.  The power of that binocular makes that binocular my "go to" unless I have a reason for more power.  My hands down fave binocular is the 8x42 Nikon EDG, but the FOV and the depth of field make the little Viper my "go to" because I give up so little in image quality to be able to benefit from FOV and DOF in the little Viper.  I have looked through the 10x42 Viper and what you have is 95-97% of what a Swaro, Zeiss or Leica or Nicon EDG will deliver. 

I am saying to grab that Carbon Fiber tripod because you will never lose a dime on it.  BUT, if you can live with weight, eventually get a Manfrotto 55 W/the capability of setting the center post horizontally.  Some day I will post pictures.  It also demands a  right angle adapter though.  That lets you sit with the binocular or spotting scope "floating" over your comfy seat.

We have a Leupold 12-40x60 GR scope and a Vortex Razor 85 spotting scope.  Do the same analysis you did in purchasing your binocular.  I had a Leupold GR 10x40 Poro before I upgraded to the EDG binocular and it was fine, you have a better binocular right now, but I bought the Leupold twenty-five years before I upgraded to the Nikon EDG.  You have a better binocular in every way than I did for twenty-five years and I pay attention to optics.

Here is what you need to play off, one against the other, once you have decided on power range:  Weight and portability and angled - vs- straight.  The Leupold 12x40 owns the weight and portability consideration, IF that is a consideration and you can give up 40-60  or so in power, and then pony up for the HD as opposed to the non-HD just because the cost increase is so little for what you get.  Even though my 12-40 GR is non and it is fine, two bucks is not that big a deal.  Right?  Save up for a few more months.   

If packing is not a consideration then Kowa, Swaro and others make an 82-85 objective scope that is where you want to be.  I have a Vortex Razor 85 and that may be "good enough" for you as it obviously was with me.  BUT, make certain that you are not looking to resolve images at 60 power if you decide that you can live with a scope that is less than what the Razor will resolve.   It is a fools errand to buy a scope with 60 power instead of a max 40 if what you see is a fog above 40. 

Do your homework and ACTUALLY try packing the weight you are considering before you buy.  Try an angled scope too, and I personally would prefer a straight scope if I had only one, YMMV.  Try them in under conditions you would use them in.

Just my  :twocents:

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2016, 11:20:35 PM »
I was pretty impressed with my leica 12x50's compared to my slc neu 15's.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2016, 11:29:08 PM »
I was pretty impressed with my leica 12x50's compared to my slc neu 15's.

That is not surprising.  Even when the same binocular that is offered in multiple power are compared mano a mano... the lower power binocular usually is selected as "best."  These are two "Alpha" binoculars and I would expect that. 

There are trade offs that we make and a 12, if you have a ten or an eight, is pretty redundant though.  Or if you are back country hunting and need a single binocular to do "double duty" lest you hate the day you were born after packing everything you own along. 

If you don't need a hand holdable binocular and are looking at packing a binocular, a spotting scope and a tripod... the binocular to find game and a spotting scope to look at and assess game, then 12 power may not have enough power to work for you - or it might.  It depends on what your expectations are.

I have packed my 15x56 SLC and a tripod or a Gorilla Pod and nothing else and it served me just fine (actually OK), but it was not ideal for spotting and I really missed having my eights or tens with me for just pulling up and looking all the time.  But, this much I can say, 12 would not have been enough when I was assessing after looking. 

Neither a 12 or a 15 is a "Jack of all trades," both are pretty specialized binoculars.  A 12 is fair for looking for game and a 15 is about the same (a little worse), a 12 just doesn't have enough power to replace a spotting scope and a 15 has barely enough.  Barely enough is.... just enough and not enough is not enough and a 12x50 and a comparable 15x56 are about equally capable in low light. So the 15x56 works (in a fashion) for both, and a twelve power binocular may not.  You alone know what your expectations are and have to decide if 12 will or not. 

I bought my 15x56 SLC Neu primarily for rock chuck shooting, but I do pack them a bit.  Now that I have three kids under eight years old, I am not all that interested in more than filling the freezer with staples for the next year and so judging whether I want to make the effort, or not, is not a consideration - if it's legal... I am going after it.  But, that being said, with the 15x56 SLC I can live without a spotting scope and can suffer not having my 8x42 binocular along.  If I had a 12x50 I could also suffer not having my 8x42 or my 10.5x45 along, but I would also be giving up most of what a spotting scope, almost all of what a spotting scope, would provide me. 

What I am saying is that neither replaces a normal power binocular, and the 15x56 does give me a lot of what the spotting scope has to offer.  Twelve power may not. 

:twocents:YMMV. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:40:00 PM by JDHasty »

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2016, 06:54:01 AM »
The 12's are too much for hand holding. ....but very much worth the price and from a pod can count tines and judge deer at a mile in good conditions. I have a pair of 8x32 edg 2's for hand held use. They are perfect for me.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2016, 06:58:58 AM »
10x42 for hunting and a decent spotter with a good tripod and window mount . the 15 x are sweet but a bit much to pack around .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal