collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wader repair ideas for rubber boot  (Read 2353 times)

Offline jbeaumont21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Wader repair ideas for rubber boot
« on: November 15, 2017, 07:16:36 PM »
Hey guys,

I got a hole in the rubber boot of my Itasca neoprene waders and was wondering if anyone has had luck with repairing them.  Its right in the front where my ankle is in the boot, where it creases when I walk.  I've tried Aquaseal and a few other glue products but nothing seems to adhere to the rubber and they all just peel off. Only in their second year and I'd like to try and make it through the year before having to buy a new pair. I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,
Jesse

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: Wader repair ideas for rubber boot
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:22:19 PM »
Shoe goo, it’s flexible
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:24:01 PM »
I would say Shoe Goo, but I think it is the same as Aquaseal.

Did you clean and prep the area?

If that doesn't work, I would be tempted to use a tire repair kit, the vulcanizing kind, maybe it would work with the rubber in the boot.  If it did, that would be the strongest repair you could get.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:25:15 PM »
I just heard from a buddy he took his to Les Schwab and they fixed his boot for him.  I thought he was BS's me, but looked like the did a good job.  I am going to take my son's in tomorrow and see if my location will do it as well.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 08:04:30 PM »
The ultimate in boot patching IMO
http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1066&msclkid=eac78cb8530f12964ec2d6b559be9ec0&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%5BROI%5D%20Sealants%20-%20Sealant%20Brands&utm_term=np%201&utm_content=Np%201%20(Phrase%20%26%20MBM)

I have had a lot of holes in boots and waders in my years trapping and I think I have tried about everything. This stuff is far and away the best. Shoe goo and aqua seal IMO suck. They always peel eventually. This stuff never does. I have some rain clothes called Black Iron that is crazy tough but slicker then snot. Nothing will stick to it but NP-1 will and remains stuck even though it has been on them for years.
Downside is it only comes in gun grade and it takes about three days to cure completely.
If you want it to stick though this is the stuff.

Tip: Gun grade, you will not use much out of the tube and it will all harden up before you need more probably. Puncture it on the side of the tube near the back of the tube, squeeze out what you need with the gun and then wrap tube with duct tape to reseal. Move your hole forward when needed.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline jbeaumont21

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:10:22 PM »

If that doesn't work, I would be tempted to use a tire repair kit, the vulcanizing kind, maybe it would work with the rubber in the boot.  If it did, that would be the strongest repair you could get.

Thanks for the idea, yep I did prep the area with alcohol and wiped clean.

Offline jbeaumont21

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:11:13 PM »
I just heard from a buddy he took his to Les Schwab and they fixed his boot for him.  I thought he was BS's me, but looked like the did a good job.  I am going to take my son's in tomorrow and see if my location will do it as well.

That's a great idea too, may have to swing into Les Schwab tomorrow lol

Offline Badhabit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 08:11:21 PM »
FlexSteel patches.if can hold a boat together it should work on waders.

Offline jbeaumont21

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 08:19:34 PM »
http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=1066&msclkid=eac78cb8530f12964ec2d6b559be9ec0&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%5BROI%5D%20Sealants%20-%20Sealant%20Brands&utm_term=np%201&utm_content=Np%201%20(Phrase%20%26%20MBM)

I have had a lot of holes in boots and waders in my years trapping and I think I have tried about everything. This stuff is far and away the best. Shoe goo and aqua seal IMO suck. They always peel eventually. This stuff never does. I have some rain clothes called Black Iron that is crazy tough but slicker then snot. Nothing will stick to it but NP-1 will and remains stuck even though it has been on them for years.
Downside is it only comes in gun grade and it takes about three days to cure completely.

Tip: Gun grade, you will not use much out of the tube and it will all harden up before you need more probably. Puncture it on the side of the tube near the back of the tube, squeeze out what you need with the gun and then wrap tube with duct tape to reseal. Move your hole forward when needed.

Awesome, I may give this a shot if Les Schwab doesnt pan out.  I need waders by the weekend.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 08:42:04 PM »

Awesome, I may give this a shot if Les Schwab doesnt pan out.  I need waders by the weekend.

Just a quick add on, I never have been able to get the stuff except by ordering it.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:57:01 PM »
Never had a problem with aquaseal. All about the prep and roughing up the surface.

Offline The Gobble-stopper

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 02:53:44 PM »

Thanks for the idea, yep I did prep the area with alcohol and wiped clean.
 I have tried shoo goo several times with no luck! Always comes off about the second time out, especially in flexible locations. The go to for rubber boots. Is yep you said it, "tire repair kit" vulcanizing kind. With one extra hint. Do not use the patches that come with the kits. Pick up a box of the Radial tire patches, used on cars, The are about 2 1/2 inches in diameter, follow instructions on the repair kit. And they have never come off. The last pair I had of chest waders, rubber bottoms had a hole just where you described, And the patch stayed on for 16 years, till the boots finally rotted off around the patch.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 07:04:43 PM »
I took my son's waders to my local Les Schwab today to have them looked at.  He said they used to repair lots of them when they were true rubber.  He said they don't do the repairs much anymore as most are a mix of materials.  I ended up just spreading the cracks and placing Aqua Seal that I had into the hole and around it.  I placed a thick wide layer.  I will fix them again if they continue to leak with SG-20.  The SG-20 is probably my favorite, but I was out.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]