collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: high dollar cast iron  (Read 60714 times)

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: high dollar cast iron
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2018, 09:33:45 PM »
At a camp I used to work at we had a great collection of old cast iron skillets an pots from Griswold, Wagner, and unmarked.  Most were from at least the 60’s or older and were great. After a season they would go in storage over winter and in the spring would be a pile of mold, but no rust. We threw them in the wood stove over night and would pull them out in the morning looking like new. A couple weeks reseasoning and they were great for another year. I love cast cookwear, but using them on a gas cooktop (or Coleman stove) is key in my opinion!  They will scratch the crap out of these new smooth electric cook tops and do not work near so well.

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 09:37:27 PM »
At a camp I used to work at we had a great collection of old cast iron skillets an pots from Griswold, Wagner, and unmarked.  Most were from at least the 60’s or older and were great. After a season they would go in storage over winter and in the spring would be a pile of mold, but no rust. We threw them in the wood stove over night and would pull them out in the morning looking like new. A couple weeks reseasoning and they were great for another year. I love cast cookwear, but using them on a gas cooktop (or Coleman stove) is key in my opinion!  They will scratch the crap out of these new smooth electric cook tops and do not work near so well.

Not totally true.  I agree tthat gas would be best but, we don't have that option.  We have a glass top electric and as long as the skillets aren't really warped and spinning, they work just fine without scratching anything.  Heck, even a few of my spinners work good for certain things

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 10:00:41 PM »
4 seasoning rounds and a pan of bacon later, look at that shine!

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 11:45:39 AM »
Clean up done.  Not a speck of rust left.  I can't believe this is the same skillet.  I don't know why the first pic is so big.  Sorry. 

Seasoning starts tomorrow morning.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I found an old cast iron pan that was my grandparents and worked on it last week. It had several small rust spots. I watched several videos and tried the salt and potato trick and that didn't work, so I tried #000 steel wool and that didn't do it either, I ended up using a dremel and a sanding tip. Took the rust right down. I'm in the process of re-seasoning it now. Excited to see how it turns out.
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 01:59:15 PM »
Sanding the inside also increases it's non stick properties, and make it super easy to scrape then wipe clean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I found an old cast iron pan that was my grandparents and worked on it last week. It had several small rust spots. I watched several videos and tried the salt and potato trick and that didn't work, so I tried #000 steel wool and that didn't do it either, I ended up using a dremel and a sanding tip. Took the rust right down. I'm in the process of re-seasoning it now. Excited to see how it turns out.

See, the difference is I'm inherently lazy :chuckle:  I googled and saw the oven method and that was right up my alley.  Let the oven do the hard work and I'll just rinse it off and scrub a little, lol.

If you're interested, the oven method is to put it in the oven upside down.  Put a sheet pan under it to catch whatever falls.  Set your oven to the self cleaning mode for either 3 or 4 hours, however long your mode is.  Mine was 3 hours.  Then let it fire away.  Once the oven door unlocks, remove and let cool to room temperature and then wash with soap and steel wool to get whatever rust is on there off.  Then wash with soap and a sponge.

The self cleaning method absolutely vaporizes everything on the pan.  It literally looked like the scene in T2 when the nuke hit and all of the people in the park turned to dust.  I rinsed most of the crud off and only had to scrub a small bit.

After hitting more thrift stores after work today, I have 5 more to do tonight, maybe tomorrow.  I also got 2 from my dad.  One I don't know if it's salvageable without SERIOUS sanding.  The cooking surface is caked in rust and super pitted.  We'll see.

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 10:57:44 AM »

See, the difference is I'm inherently lazy :chuckle:  I googled and saw the oven method and that was right up my alley.  Let the oven do the hard work and I'll just rinse it off and scrub a little, lol.

If you're interested, the oven method is to put it in the oven upside down.  Put a sheet pan under it to catch whatever falls.  Set your oven to the self cleaning mode for either 3 or 4 hours, however long your mode is.  Mine was 3 hours.  Then let it fire away.  Once the oven door unlocks, remove and let cool to room temperature and then wash with soap and steel wool to get whatever rust is on there off.  Then wash with soap and a sponge.

The self cleaning method absolutely vaporizes everything on the pan.  It literally looked like the scene in T2 when the nuke hit and all of the people in the park turned to dust.  I rinsed most of the crud off and only had to scrub a small bit.

After hitting more thrift stores after work today, I have 5 more to do tonight, maybe tomorrow.  I also got 2 from my dad.  One I don't know if it's salvageable without SERIOUS sanding.  The cooking surface is caked in rust and super pitted.  We'll see.

Sweet I have a pile that were used for my grandpa and dads elk camp from years and years ago. A couple are in rough shape I'll have to try it! Sounds like less work than using course salt and half a potato and scrubbing until my arm is sore!  :bash: :chuckle:
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »
Protip:  DO NOT do this method on more than 1 or 2 pans at a time unless you want your house smoked out and your wife and kids SUUUUUPER pisssed off.  I learned this last night when I did 4 at once :chuckle:

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »
Protip:  DO NOT do this method on more than 1 or 2 pans at a time unless you want your house smoked out and your wife and kids SUUUUUPER pisssed off.  I learned this last night when I did 4 at once :chuckle:

Jeez, wifes can be so sensitive about that stuff! Like when I spray painted a bunch of project lawn tractor parts in the basement when my wife was a couple months pregnant. So the house smells a little bit...  :chuckle:
Low T Beta Male

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
OK whoever started this thread thank you. I know have a new project of cleaning up some stuff and making sure the girls each get some cast iron in the hope chest!

I was tagging along in the thread just because I have always liked cooking with Cast iron. This thread made me go look at what we have. In the house the daily/weekly use ones I found wagnor, lodge, Griswold and some unmarked ones.

In the garage around 12 pans, a dutch oven and a few flat pieces. all these were found under a house we cleaned out. Many are lodge, wagner and 3 notch. Some so dirty who knows.

I never knew some of these had value, something new to find and sell on Ebay  :chuckle:
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
OK whoever started this thread thank you. I know have a new project of cleaning up some stuff and making sure the girls each get some cast iron in the hope chest!

I was tagging along in the thread just because I have always liked cooking with Cast iron. This thread made me go look at what we have. In the house the daily/weekly use ones I found wagnor, lodge, Griswold and some unmarked ones.

In the garage around 12 pans, a dutch oven and a few flat pieces. all these were found under a house we cleaned out. Many are lodge, wagner and 3 notch. Some so dirty who knows.

I never knew some of these had value, something new to find and sell on Ebay  :chuckle:

3 notch are Lodge pans.

http://www.castironcollector.com/unmarked.php

Yes, they have value!!!  Not thousands of dollars but, depending on what you have laying around, someone could buy a new gun by selling old cast iron.

I'm currently trying to pick up small emblem Griswolds.  I have 2 #8's and a #9.  I want 2ea of #8, #9, #10 eventually.  All of the other ones I have I'm selling to co-workers.  I now have a handful of Wagners and Lodge and one #12 Vollrath that I'm keeping.  I can fry a whole chicken in that one

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »
I have the Finex 12 in and the grill pan. They are awesome. I have a 12 in lodge and a 10 in that i'm not sure of maker. Use them daily.
My wife is not as keen on the cast iron as it is heavy and i bitch too much with her using it. LOL

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2018, 04:18:16 PM »
You guys have inspired me to finally get some cast iron. All of my Grandparents used cast iron, but never thought to snag any of the years. Is it best to look for the older stuff? Or is the newer lodge good enough? It's priced lower than I would have thought so I assume it's not as heavy.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
You guys have inspired me to finally get some cast iron. All of my Grandparents used cast iron, but never thought to snag any of the years. Is it best to look for the older stuff? Or is the newer lodge good enough? It's priced lower than I would have thought so I assume it's not as heavy.
It's the quality of the finish not the weight necessarily. The older stuff is sometimes thinner but more refined in the finish. Lodge is grainy/rough

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2018, 04:25:31 PM »
Now is the wrong time for garage sales, but you could do some scouting at second hand stores. I have a newer lodge stuff with the exception of a smaller one from my grandma. Cast seems to fall out of favor with some, so right after Christmas might be a good time to hit the goodwill!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr